Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I am about to visit Essen, and I am interested in Inis. I also am a BGG regular and usually the first thing I do when a game pops on my radar is go and check out ratings and comments.

As of today, there are many 10 ratings, from many users with almost zero otherwise contributions to the geek, some of whom have a surprising affinity for matagot games in their 10s, and/or apparently reside in China while speaking perfect English. I am not going to say that these ratings are not genuine, but I really thought it could be that way. And it is a bit off-putting because I really want to believe this is a very good game worth looking into and buying.

But then what do I know, perhaps there was a playtesting session in China...

Sorry for the rant, make what you want of it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha interesting. However I find ratings, reviews, comments pretty worthless.

I read rulebooks.....and form my own opinion and always if possible try before you buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't look that suspicious to me - looks like a small French ex-pat play-test group in China, most of whom state they took part in play-testing, which admittedly does tend to skew your opinion of the game to the positive. But that's nothing really sinister, no mass sock-puppet blitz to load with shill ratings.

The game has also garnered plenty of separate positive reviews, not based in China. The whole rating system on the geek is fundamentally flawed anyway so don't get too tied up with the numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could watch the review from Shut up and sit down. That worked for me and Inis is preordered
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why internet ratings and, ahem, polls are dubious at best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:

I'll go ahead and say elections as well to complete the cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kostool13 wrote:
colmmccarthy wrote:

Hence the ahem whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
So I am about to visit Essen, and I am interested in Inis. I also am a BGG regular and usually the first thing I do when a game pops on my radar is go and check out ratings and comments.

As of today, there are many 10 ratings, from many users with almost zero otherwise contributions to the geek, some of whom have a surprising affinity for matagot games in their 10s, and/or apparently reside in China while speaking perfect English. I am not going to say that these ratings are not genuine, but I really thought it could be that way. And it is a bit off-putting because I really want to believe this is a very good game worth looking into and buying.

As someone else said, the people you accuse of being shills are playtesters.

I see this kind of suspicion across BGG from time to time, and I think it's paranoid, and incredibly unwelcoming to new users. We should take more time and use more thought before we accuse others of being paid shills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
poshniallo wrote:
coralsaw wrote:

I see this kind of suspicion across BGG from time to time, and I think it's paranoid, and incredibly unwelcoming to new users. We should take more time and use more thought before we accuse others of being paid shills.

Did you check how old these profiles are? I did. Many (most?) are not new users.

Please be careful of your remarks and read my OP again. I did not accuse anyone, I raised concerns as any good BGG citizen should do. It is your prerogative to state your opinion, as I do, as long as you don't try to patronize or misrepresent me.

Best regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven De Tavernier
Belgium
ELLEZELLES
Hainaut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdrog2 wrote:
Ha interesting. However I find ratings, reviews, comments pretty worthless.

I read rulebooks.....and form my own opinion and always if possible try before you buy.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I browse the comments and ratings also, don't know why people are giving you issues for it. Of course personal opinion and knowledge are the defining factor, but the benefit of having online communities is getting broad-stroke opinions on things. My time is precious, there are a lot of things to research out there and it the majority of people are ho-hum or mediocre on a game, I'm probably not going to give it further scrutiny. Maybe I'll miss some diamond in the rough, but I've effectively cut out 90% of the garbage without having to spend time having to read rulebooks on each game that inerests me.

Anyway, the reason why there aren't many ratings for Inis yet is because it's not officially released yet. There was a pre-release amount at GenCon, and reviewers have gotten copies, but not the masses yet. I've heard enough great things from multiple reviewers and from Ignacy Trevwhatevcheck, and have skimmed the rulebook, I'm pretty confident it's something I'll really enjoy. Kind of like a slicker, slimmer, more calculated Blood Rage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I did not accuse anyone

You effectively did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
poshniallo wrote:
coralsaw wrote:

Did you check how old these profiles are? I did. Many (most?) are not new users.

Please be careful of your remarks and read my OP again. I did not accuse anyone, I raised concerns as any good BGG citizen should do. It is your prerogative to state your opinion, as I do, as long as you don't try to patronize or misrepresent me.

Best regards.

Emphasis mine. "I'm not saying X, but a lot of people are saying X."

Sound familiar? I'll give you a hint. Current US presidential election.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidan Mirisola-Sullivan
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
oh hai
mbmbmbmbmb
Raising concerns should always be welcomed and encouraged, just as acknowledging a solid debunking. Being a critical consumer is very important, now more than ever - thanks for raising the points, OP, and thanks to those who weighed in about the playtest group, so that we have an understanding of what's going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
+1 for reading the rulebooks.

However, for Inis I feel as though the crux of the gameplay is going to be in the contents of the cards. The game seems straightforward enough but the card play is going to make or break it for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dano
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
No, I can't get you Stamps.
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:

Sound familiar? I'll give you a hint. Current US presidential elect.

Oh no. Did he get elected already?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoubleOnad wrote:
epilepticemu wrote:

Sound familiar? I'll give you a hint. Current US presidential elect.

Oh no. Did he get elected already?

LOL whoops! Edited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The three (out of sixty-five total) "questionable" 10 ratings include comments that indicate that they were play testers.
You read enough of the comments to mention their command of English, but skipped over the very first sentences of each comment where they reveal that they are play testers?

If only they hadn't shrouded their ratings in such mystery...

Quote:
...apparently reside in China while speaking perfect English. I am not going to say that these ratings are not genuine, but I really thought it could be that way.

The OP apparently resides in Switzerland while speaking perfect English. I am not going to say that the OP is passive-aggressively accusing others of being shills, but I really thought it could be that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
kostool13 wrote:
colmmccarthy wrote:

Hence the ahem whistle

I second that "ahem"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
n815e wrote:
The three (out of sixty-five total) "questionable" 10 ratings include comments that indicate that they were play testers.
You read enough of the comments to mention their command of English, but skipped over the very first sentences of each comment where they reveal that they are play testers?

If only they hadn't shrouded their ratings in such mystery...

Quote:
...apparently reside in China while speaking perfect English. I am not going to say that these ratings are not genuine, but I really thought it could be that way.

The OP apparently resides in Switzerland while speaking perfect English. I am not going to say that the OP is passive-aggressively accusing others of being shills, but I really thought it could be that way.

1. Did you even read my whole OP? Apparently either my English is truly sub-par, or your attention was focused on your ironic one-liner . Here is the relevant part again:
Quote:
...But then what do I know, perhaps there was a playtesting session in China...

2. There are 10 "10s", and iirc half or more are from users with very limited other ratings and contributions. Please spend a couple of minutes to check your facts the next time you criticize publicly someone.

Thanks to the folks who acknowledged the importance of being a critical consumer, and the impossibility of reading 700+ rulebooks from this Essen's list. I always appreciate peer control. Also, the OP was not a slant on the game at all, if anything quite the opposite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A 10 rating is a perfect game. That should be rarer then fucking diamonds. These are obviously shill votes. Every game has them and the BGG rating system is pretty worthless because of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim Leenaerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
A 10 rating is a perfect game. That should be rarer then fucking diamonds.

Not really actually. BGG uses its own scale and a 10 is supposed to represent 'outstanding - will always enjoy playing'...
I'd prefer your interpretation but unfortunately it isn't...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:

1. Did you even read my whole OP? Apparently either my English is truly sub-par, or your attention was focused on your ironic one-liner . Here is the relevant part again:
Quote:

"Perhaps" indicates that the information of whether or not there was is unavailable. It states it at the beginning of each of their comments, there's no "perhaps" about it.
"But what do I know" doesn't acknowledge that you did, in fact, know.

Quote:
2. There are 10 "10s", and iirc half or more are from users with very limited other ratings and contributions. Please spend a couple of minutes to check your facts the next time you criticize publicly someone.

You certainly checked your facts in creating your accusation of the company creating fake accounts and chose to ignore the ones that didn't support your accusation.

You spent the time to look through each person's profile to find out more about them, then selectively used what you found to paint a picture of wrong-doing.

For what purpose did you spend the time doing that? What is your motivation?

Why did you bring up that some of the people are in China and yet are able to write well in English? Did you think that nobody would notice you reside in a non-English speaking country by that little flag next to your username? Hypocrisy? No, that seems calculated.

You subsequently then deny that you are accusing anyone of anything and want to play victim when someone corrects or questions you.

Quote:
Thanks to the folks who acknowledged the importance of being a critical consumer,

Critical consumers read the information available to them and make decisions based on their analysis. Critical consumers don't spend the time crafting a narrative of deception involving a company and its yet-to-be released game by spending time culling information from play testers' accounts and publicly calling into question their honesty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
n815e wrote:
coralsaw wrote:

Quote:

"Perhaps" indicates that the information of whether or not there was is unavailable. It states it at the beginning of each of their comments, there's no "perhaps" about it.
"But what do I know" doesn't acknowledge that you did, in fact, know.

Quote:

You certainly checked your facts in creating your accusation of the company creating fake accounts and chose to ignore the ones that didn't support your accusation.

You spent the time to look through each person's profile to find out more about them, then selectively used what you found to paint a picture of wrong-doing.

For what purpose did you spend the time doing that? What is your motivation?

Why did you bring up that some of the people are in China and yet are able to write well in English? Did you think that nobody would notice you reside in a non-English speaking country by that little flag next to your username? Hypocrisy? No, that seems calculated.

You subsequently then deny that you are accusing anyone of anything and want to play victim when someone corrects or questions you.

Quote:
Thanks to the folks who acknowledged the importance of being a critical consumer,

Critical consumers read the information available to them and make decisions based on their analysis. Critical consumers don't spend the time crafting a narrative of deception involving a company and its yet-to-be released game by spending time culling information from play testers' accounts and publicly calling into question their honesty.

I think I love you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
A 10 rating is a perfect game. That should be rarer then fucking diamonds.

Not quite... I think if you follow the definition of 10 being "perfect", there would never be any 10's. You'll be forever chasing perfection and never fully satisfied with any game, and I think that's kind of a sad outlook. A "10" game is basically a game that you absolutely love, it's your favorite game DESPITE it's flaws. You never think you'll grow bored with it and you'd always play it at the drop of a hat without hesitation.

I definitely agree that many people are far too flippant with their 10's though, but likewise some people are possibly too conservative. Perfection doesn't exist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.