Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erin
Australia
Murrumbeena
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Announcing the 2016 AU/NZ only Secret Santa, for Aussies and Kiwis who would like to participate in a local gift exchange.

I don't want to discourage anyone from joining the Official BGG Secret Santa 2016. Please sign up for both Secret Santas if you can!

Click this link and complete your details to register:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geekexchange/join/296

The Guidelines

1. This is an AU/NZ-only Secret Santa, created for those who would like to participate in a local gift exchange. Everyone with a mailing address in New Zealand or Australia is welcome to join.

2. I will be using GeekExchange again this year to run the AU/NZ Secret Santa. If you wish to participate, please ensure that you sign up by midnight, Sunday November 13. If you have second thoughts after signing up, you may also delete your registration up until this deadline.

3. Update your wishlist (NOT your want list). Please have at least ten currently available games on your list, and make sure at least some of them fall within a reasonable price range. If you have only high priced, hard-to-find games on your list, don't be surprised when you get something you didn't ask for! If you are participating in multiple Secret Santa gift exchangess, please be sure your wishlist indicates which games are eligible for which Secret Santa.

4. Once entries are closed (at midnight, Sunday November 13), everyone signed up will have a random name and address sent to them. Please be aware that the GeekExchange system assigns targets automatically, and I am unable to prevent specific pairings (for example, of friends or significant others). Please contact me via Geekmail asap if you have a "conflict of interest" with the target you have been assigned, and I will attempt to arrange a swap with another participant.

5. Once you receive a name and address, check out your recipient's wishlist and select a gift (specified for the AU/NZ Secret Santa) that they've indicated they would like. Then send it to them, so that it arrives in time for Christmas.

6. Secret Santa is all about the giving, not the getting. Please do NOT join the AU/NZ Secret Santa unless you plan to send a gift.

7. Please keep your receipts for purchase and shipping. You may need to provide them to me later for proof of purchase and shipment, if for some reason your gift for your recipient fails to arrive. I recommend you photograph them with a smart phone, so that they can be easily forwarded to me if necessary.

8. Personalising the gifts you send can make the experience more fun for all. "Taunting" is also encouraged. This can be accomplished secretly via the Santa user account. Just log in to BGG as Santa (pw: password), and send your target recipient clever poems, codes to crack, or a simple message that unfortunately, you weren't able to secure Great Western Trail, The Oracle of Delphi, Key to the City – London or A Feast for Odin, but their all-coal, homemade version of Draughts is on its way.

9. Please contact me via Geekmail asap if you have any issues fulfilling your duty to your target as a Secret Santa.

Please join if you can, be as generous as you can, and have a fantastic holiday season.

Click this link and complete your details to register:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geekexchange/join/296

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley Sheak
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course I'm in! How can I miss this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Ry
New Zealand
Henderson
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yus!!
Ive been waiting all year for thid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs Smith
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
This is my chance to convey something meaningful! Darn. Wasted it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Woohoo! Love this part of the year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Dean
Australia
Earlwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Erin...In again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Erin. I'm in again too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Hulsey
Australia
Richlands
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweeeeeeet!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Dransfield
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen
New Zealand
Whangarei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
a new recruit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin
Australia
Murrumbeena
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carms wrote:
a new recruit

Excellent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hsin Hui Lin
Australia
flag msg tools
Can anyone explain what is the range of "Reasonable price range", I'm actually new to board game, so have no idea about the price range, thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali
Australia
Perth
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in! First time doing this, should be interesting

Also is it acceptable to order online and have sent directly to that person to advoid double shipping cost?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin
Australia
Murrumbeena
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
usagiseta wrote:
Can anyone explain what is the range of "Reasonable price range", I'm actually new to board game, so have no idea about the price range, thanks

I've replied to usagiseta privately, but it occurs to me that other people might be wondering the same thing.

As a general guideline, you should send your target at least one new game from their wishlist.

Secret Santa should be about giving - be a little generous, whatever that means to you.

Please remember to budget for postage and adequate packaging to make sure your gift is received in the best possible condition.

These lists will give you an idea of the range of gifts from the last few years:

AU/NZ Secret Santa Archive
Look what my AU/NZ Secret Santa sent me! 2015 edition
Look what my AU/NZ Secret Santa sent me! 2014 edition
Look what my AU/NZ Secret Santa sent me! 2013 edition

If you would like a price guideline, budget $80 or more including shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin
Australia
Murrumbeena
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
electrichammer wrote:
I'm in! First time doing this, should be interesting

Also is it acceptable to order online and have sent directly to that person to advoid double shipping cost?

Welcome to AU/NZ Secret Santa!

Yes, that's absolutely fine. Unless you're able to hand deliver your gift, it's often the most practical option.

Some Santas enjoy wrapping their gifts and adding other personal touches to the package they send to their target, but this is not a requirement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another first timer (and newbie gamer)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in for the third year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Any word on how many have signed up this year?

There's only a few days left to get in if you want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Crosby
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
The real XB
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tiggers wrote:
Any word on how many have signed up this year?

As of time of this post... 63 meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin
Australia
Murrumbeena
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
redtraingreentrainredtraingreentrainredtraingreentrainredtraingreentrainredtraingreentrainredtraingreentrainredtraingreentrainredtraingreentrainredtraingreentrainredtraingreentrainredtraingreentrainredtraingreentrainredtraingreentrainredtraingreentrain

REMINDER - Registrations for AU/NZ Secret Santa 2016 Close Sunday November 13!

If you wish to participate, please ensure that you sign up by midnight, Sunday November 13 (AEST).

Cheers,
Erin

redtraingreentrainredtraingreentrainredtraingreentrainredtraingreentrainredtraingreentrainredtraingreentrainredtraingreentrainredtraingreentrainredtraingreentrainredtraingreentrainredtraingreentrainredtraingreentrainredtraingreentrainredtraingreentrain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like fun.. I'm in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
losfp wrote:
Sounds like fun.. I'm in!

Remember to sign-up using the link at the top of the page
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin
Australia
Murrumbeena
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings all!

There is now a little over 30 hours until registration for the 2016 AU/NZ Secret Santa closes at midnight on Sunday (AEST).

The targets will be assigned during the day on Monday November 14.

It's time to make sure your wishlist is up to date, and to write a letter to your Santa (if you choose)!

I will shortly send this message to all registered participants. If you do not receive a copy in your Geekmail, it means you have not yet correctly signed up!

I know we're all excited, but please take note of the following details.

Please keep your receipts for purchase and shipping. You may need to provide them to me later for proof of purchase and shipment, if for some reason your gift for your recipient fails to arrive. I recommend you photograph them with a smart phone, so that they can be easily forwarded to me if necessary.

Please take a moment now to look at Look what my AU/NZ Secret Santa sent me! 2016 edition, and bookmark this link now.

Please take the time to add an item to the Geeklist when you receive your gift, even if you don't plan to open it until Christmas Day. Santas worry whether their gifts arrive safely when sending them in the mail, so posting that you have received your gift puts their mind at rest.

Please update your post after Christmas if you didn't open your gift immediately, and show us all what your AU/NZ Secret Santa sent you!

Feel free to share any clever or entertaining messages you've received from your Santa here too.

Please ensure you check your Geekmail regularly once the targets have been assigned. Many participants in Secret Santa exchanges enjoy geekmailing their targets anonymously via the BGG Santa account. It's not compulsory to do so if it's not your thing, but it can be a lot of fun for both the Santa and their target. Should you wish to contact your target anonymously, you can log in to BGG with the username "Santa" and the password "password".

If your Santa makes contact with you, please remember that courtesy goes a long way. You don't need to engage with your Santa if you choose not to, but please do respond and acknowledge their message. As well as replying to the message via Geekmail, it would be helpful to add your reply to your profile. The BGG Santa account has a lot of traffic, and your Santa may have dificulty locating your reply.

Please ask if you need any assistance posting to the Geeklist, editing your profile, or using Geekmail.

Finally, please contact me privately via Geekmail as soon as possible if you have any issues fulfilling your obligations as a Santa.

Some useful links:

In 2009, Tommynomad put together a helpful list of tips on how to make the most of your participation in the Secret Santa, both as a Santa and as a recipient:
Tips to make yourself the best Secret Santa

In 2010, superbgg put together a good list of tips for "taunting" for new participants:
Top Tips for Taunting

This thread may be helpful to those with Secret Santa targets in New Zealand:
Buying Boardgames in New Zealand

anomander64's geeklist could be helpful to those with Secret Santa targets in Australia:
2013 Online Australian Retailers List & Price Comparison

Secret Santa Stores wiki:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Secret_Santa_Stores

Official sponsors of the 2015 BGG Secret Santa:
BGG 2015 Secret Santa Preferred Stores

Australian Board Game Price Checker:
http://georgina.org/boardgames/

Board Game Shopper:
http://www.boardgamesearch.com.au/

Please remember to budget for postage and adequate packaging to make sure your gift is received in the best possible condition:
Guide to Packaging!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
...It begins!!!! Mwahahahahh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Watt
New Zealand
Wanganui
Wanganui
flag msg tools
badge
Play?
mbmbmbmbmb
tiggers wrote:
...It begins!!!! Mwahahahahh

Dude, you LITERALLY stole my line. I was just going to post this...hmmm....

MANIACAL LAUGH.....MANIACAL LAUGH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzanne P
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a brainwave and have already sent my gift! Nice distraction with today's quakes. Now if only my all of BGG secret santa target were this easy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.