Popular Tags: [View All]
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all the marvel legendary expansions except secret wars vol2 and civil war. (And not the 3D cards but not buying those). Which one of these two should I get next? Which is better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Civil War is the best big box expansion since Dark City.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the two-colored cards more than split cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Civil War is by far the best Legendary expansion. However, the Secret Wars volume 1 + volume 2 Combo is better. Get SW 2 for now, in order to have a complete Secret Wars experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, my previous comment is probably not that helpful. let me explain.

Secret Wars volume 2 is a very good expansion (prior to Civil War's release, it was my favorite). It does have more obscure characters (Dr Punisher Soldier Supreme, Arkon, etc.), but it adds more Illuminati and Cabal characters and also boosts the SHIELD affiliation with Elsa Bloodstone. It also has Beast and Captain Britain! Furthermore, it has a scheme that uses Ambition cards, so even if you don't play the mastermind mode included in volume 1, you will be able to use those cards. Finally, it introduces some of the best mechanics and keywords in the game - self-destructing cards (Phoenix force Cyclops), Spectrum (triggering superpowers by having at least 3 classes), Patrol (if a space mentioned on the card is empty, do something cool), the annoying Charge (a villain advances x number of city spaces, pushing all other villains forward).

Civil War has more cards (370; the other big boxes have 350 each). It has more interesting characters, Divided cards which are very fun to use, some of the nastiest masterminds so far, and the brilliant addition of Special Wounds.

I love both expansions, though Civil War is my favorite. Nonetheless, given your situation, I wholeheartedly recommend Secret Wars volume 2. It's a better addition to your collection at this moment. There is enough time to get Civil war. for now, you will enjoy much more the second volume of the craziest comic event ever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both sets are good. Get the one that has the heroes you like the most or the one with the most heroes that you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd get Secret wars vol2 first. The divided cards in Civil war didn't really do it for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Halstead
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I think Civil War is a much better set but I really wasn't a fan of Secret Wars vol 2 despite volume 1 being my favorite expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I prefer SW Vol 2. I enjoy Civil War a good deal, but I prefer the mechanics of SW2. It's got Spectrum and Patrol, and I feel provides a good bit more variety than Civil War.

I also find Shield Clearance and all the shield officer gobbeldy gook to be rather annoying.

On this plus side for Civil War, I do like the divided cards, which are sometimes even more useful than the multicolored cards, and lots of heroes with good name recognition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Civil War to get the more traditional cast for the Marvel 616 universe.

Secret Wars 2 to get funky with your Timelines and mix and match your universes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. I think my I'll get secret wars vol2 and get civil war later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I don't have Civil War yet, but it comes highly recommended.

That said, getting the older set first might satisfy some level of OCD you might have, and Secret Wars 2 has a great deal going for it. I'd feel a little dirty getting Civil War before I got SW 2 (I already have it, but will face a similar dilemma since Deadpool will come out before I got Civil War).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsallak wrote:
I don't have Civil War yet, but it comes highly recommended.

That said, getting the older set first might satisfy some level of OCD you might have, and Secret Wars 2 has a great deal going for it. I'd feel a little dirty getting Civil War before I got SW 2 (I already have it, but will face a similar dilemma since Deadpool will come out before I got Civil War).

Yeah, I always have to force myself to go in order. I bought into the game way late.

Whens Deadpool coming out, anyways? I dont think I ever saw a firm date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:

Next week. October 12th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tim - let me know if you want to review the two sets before you buy. I have both and can bring them tomorrow night for you to see what your thoughts are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gumps wrote:
Tim - let me know if you want to review the two sets before you buy. I have both and can bring them tomorrow night for you to see what your thoughts are.

Likewise, I can bring them to Level Up pretty much any time I go there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:

Next week. October 12th.

Oh, wow...that's awesome!

Gotta head to my LGS and get a copy set aside for me that day

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad B
United States
Van Buren
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
Deus Ex
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked both, but I prefer Civil War. If you intend to only buy one, I'd go with Civil War.

I gotta say, I'm not really excited about Deadpool. I'll probably get it just because I have all the others, but it's the first expansion I'm having second thoughts about buying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteBoy wrote:
I liked both, but I prefer Civil War. If you intend to only buy one, I'd go with Civil War.

I gotta say, I'm not really excited about Deadpool. I'll probably get it just because I have all the others, but it's the first expansion I'm having second thoughts about buying.

I think its going to add a whole lot of random, nonsensical fun to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really love Civil War, and I wasn't expecting to. The mechanics, the characters, and the theme are all really well-done.

It is the most complex expansion, I think. The mechanics add a lot of depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Stick
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good choice on going with Secret War, I haven't talked about it much, but I haven't fallen in love with Civil War. I have some problems with it. I feel it is a little lacking and it is beginning to create a little Legendary fatigue. And now Deadpool is coming out. I am honestly hoping for a cut back on getting each expansion out. Three a year was awesome at first...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterGM wrote:
Good choice on going with Secret War, I haven't talked about it much, but I haven't fallen in love with Civil War. I have some problems with it. I feel it is a little lacking and it is beginning to create a little Legendary fatigue. And now Deadpool is coming out. I am honestly hoping for a cut back on getting each expansion out. Three a year was awesome at first...

I'm so glad someone else said this first! As I shared a few weeks ago on the "rank the expansions" thread, Civil War holds the bottom rung for me. Also, other than the couple of Schemes we've seen, I'm not fired up for Deadpool. I'll still get it, but I'm saving it for my Christmas list since people say I'm tough to buy for...at least one person will have it easy.

I'd also been thinking about responding to one of the WHAT ARE WE GETTING NEXT threads by pointing out that it might be time for UDE to slow things down. I think this for a few reasons:

1 Several expansions have been released in fairly rapid succession. I honestly feel it's beginning to affect the quality of the game in the wrong direction. These past couple of expansions have had a couple of bright spots, but have mostly been "Meh" for me.

2 UDE now has several Legendary and Encounters titles out and, I suspect, they'll want to start giving some love to those when it comes to expansions

3 By slowing down the Marvel expansions, perhaps it will let the development and testing teams spend more time and energy on the wording and mechanics for the Heroes that so many of us have been begging for now for a couple of years. This may also benefit the solicits, allowing them to more accurately reflect the final product.

**edit to add**
4 Another benefit of slowing down a little means UDE could finally dedicate an appropriate amount of brainpower and energy into an official storage solution and an updated official playmat that provides spaces for all of these new areas they've designed into the expansions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Encounters and vanilla Legendary are totally separate matters. Different designers, different development teams. Increasing the contents for one will not diminish the contents for the other.

Civil War has no egregious mistake, in contrast with Cap (Black Knight) or PTTR (Spider-Woman) or Fantastic Four (maybe I was unlucky, but the cardstock for that one was really bad. The cards got chipped really bad).

There will never be an adequate storage solution. No one will deliver such a monster internationally at decent prices and it will be too big to be handy.

If there is something I do not understand it is why people complain about the frequency of expansions but still buy them. As I see it, get what you want, what appeals to you and simply do not touch the other expansions. It is much easier not to buy something than to be unable to buy something because nothing new has been released.

That being said, I hope UD's sales for this game go sufficiently well that wr will get plenty of new expansions in the upcoming yeara. Heck, an expansion evert two months would be great. There is always the option of not buying them. It is so much worse not to have the option of buying them .

Just my 2 cents
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
Encounters and vanilla Legendary are totally separate matters. Different designers, different development teams. Increasing the contents for one will not diminish the contents for the other.

If this is true, and it very well may be, then I am willing to retract that aspect. Not having the ability to look behind the curtain of the company, I assumed the Entertainment division of the company was one "family", not a collection of teams and tribes.

AdelinDumitru wrote:
Civil War has no egregious mistake, in contrast with Cap (Black Knight) or PTTR (Spider-Woman) or Fantastic Four (maybe I was unlucky, but the cardstock for that one was really bad. The cards got chipped really bad).
I agree with you when it comes to Black Knight art, but I would argue the only error on Spider-Woman was the team affiliation (we have several characters with that error so I don't consider it egregious) and I never noticed an issue with the FF card stock. In line with Black Knight though, I believe Civil War used the wrong Vision art, but to be honest, I've never been a big Vision fan so I'm willing to admit I might be off base there.

AdelinDumitru wrote:
There will never be an adequate storage solution. No one will deliver such a monster internationally at decent prices and it will be too big to be handy.
You may be right. I know I certainly don't have the brains to fix it - hence why I'm waiting for the company to provide what they say they're working on.

AdelinDumitru wrote:
If there is something I do not understand it is why people complain about the frequency of expansions but still buy them. As I see it, get what you want, what appeals to you and simply do not touch the other expansions. It is much easier not to buy something than to be unable to buy something because nothing new has been released.
I obviously can't speak for everyone, only for myself. My complaints aren't just trolling or bitching for the sake of doing so. I love this game! It's by far and away, my absolute favorite! When I complain, it's because I love it so much and I want it to be even better! I keep buying the expansions because I love this game and because I want those bright spots I had mentioned. Additionally, it gives me a chance to play with those things that aren't so polished to see if I can't figure it out and enhance my playing experience. That's just me though, clearly there are folks on here who love almost everything about every expansion and that's awesome! For instance, in the other thread where we rank our favorites, you and I are almost polar opposites: you put the newer stuff at the top of the list and I put the older stuff up there, but we still love the game! I'd rather have a slower release pace if it meant things will be better polished and proofed than these past couple of expansions. Again, that might just be me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I might have been really unlucky with the Fantastic Four print that I bought (or, as some might argue, deliberately "unlucky" since I do not sleeve).

I know you love the game! But I don't think that reducing the number of expansions per year is the solution to the mistakes that you or I have mentioned.

I think that UD would really benefit from more input from the fans. For instance, they should increase the number of playtesters, including fans from this forum (I know a couple of you live really close to the UD headquarters). Some pairs of fresh eyes and some of these egregious mistakes should be avoided. Of course, there will always be mistakes. As some say in the academic world, you'll only spot the misspellings once you've pressed "submit" to the manuscript. I guess the same applies here.

Thus, the crux of the matter seems to be that more involvement from new people during the development phase might prevent some of the errors. I'm not so sure that cutting back on the number expansions would solve anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.