15 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: which expansion to get 1st if any? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi, this game is becoming my favourite game I own, I've played the base game, solo 14 times now and not even managed to get pass my 1st ancient one, Azathoth, that's a separate issue. I was looking at adding an expansion, the one that looks the most popular is forsaken lore, however this seems impossible to get hold of at the minute, which other expansion big or small is worth getting 1st if any? thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mountains next, lots for stuff and focus tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forsaken Lore (included for completeness)
then

Strange Remnants
then
Signs of Carcosa
then
Under the Pyramids
then
Mountains of Madness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
Forsaken Lore (included for completeness)
then

Strange Remnants
then
Signs of Carcosa
then
Under the Pyramids
then
Mountains of Madness

This should the "Standard" order to get them in but alas, whatever floats your boat is how you should purchase them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To expand a little about the order I gave earlier:
• If you disregard a whole load of rarely used sideboard content, Strange Remnants gives you about as much as Mountains of Madness for a far better price.
• UtP sideboard is better integrated than MoM sideboard.
• UtP Ancient One's are actually worth playing with, while MoM one's are either dull as a dishwater (Rise of the Elder Things) or very tedious (Ithaqua).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dornian
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Krzysiek's opinion interesting. I interpret that as a suggestion to buy the simpler expansions first, and moving to the more complex ones with more content.

This is a fine suggestion, if you plan to eventually get them all. However, I would argue that if you're only going to get a couple then the big-box expansions are better (Pyramids, Mountains) because you get more bang for your buck. Especially if you aren't playing too often.

Taking into consideration availability and quality of the expansions I would probably put Pyramids at the top of my list. Maybe:

- Under the Pyramids
- Forsaken Lore
- Mountains of Madness
- Sings of Carcosa
- Strange Remnants (I personally didn't like this one as much)

EDIT: I believe his second post confirms that UtP should be at the top of the list. It was a very good expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks, Just a quick question, as I mainly play this game solo, controlling 2 investigators, would adding another board make it even more difficult? as I find the hardest part with 2 investigators is moving around the board to get to the clues, encounters etc. Forsaken Lore and Strange Remnants seem to be out of stock everywhere over here in the U.K.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dornian
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I never play solo, but I do often play with two players (which is essentially the same thing). While transport is certainly one of the key challenges in the game the Ancients that are tied to the side boards tend to also have their mysteries and clues tied more to the side board as well. So it mitigates, to some degree, the extra movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Stratton
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Forsaken Lore and Under the Pyramid are my two favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansions are play-tested against the base game and the preceding expansion. Which means that you can pretty much add them to your game in any order. So if you're having difficulty against the base game (I've been there, believe me) perhaps going mad for some of the nastier mechanisms like Poison (UF) or Impairment (Carcosa/UtP) might be wise. Similarly, Hyperthermia (MoM) is no darn fun when you start out.

I think that means Strange Remnants is my recommendation - anyone remember if there's a nasty mechanism not in the base game but which appears for the first time in SR?

What you really do need in an expansion is more Encounter cards so you stop seeing the same old same old that you do in the base game. I'm not sure whether any other expansion addresses that as well as UF (but a check of the inventories for the expansions would answer that).

Failing that, just pick a theme that appeals. But be aware that you'll get some stuff that'll make it harder compared with base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Little
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:

I think that means Strange Remnants is my recommendation - anyone remember if there's a nasty mechanism not in the base game but which appears for the first time in SR?

SR is when Agreements first appeared. While I'm willing to take a Dark Pact, I almost always avoid an Agreement - it's more likely to go off and while you can get rid of them the cost is too high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ricedwlit wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

SR is when Agreements first appeared. While I'm willing to take a Dark Pact, I almost always avoid an Agreement - it's more likely to go off and while you can get rid of them the cost is too high.
Ah yes, Dark Agreements - the most pointless mechanism of all. They are non-mandatory and you'd be a fool to take one. So I'd say that Agreements don't count as a strike against SR for a first expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone, the only small box expansion that seems to be available over here in the U.K is signs of carcosa which seems to have mixed reviews, so I have gone for mountains of madness. struggled to decide between m.o.m and under the pyramids, went purely on the theme I think I may prefer. I Wasn't keen at first on paying more for an expansion than I did for the actual base game. I hope its worth it. cheers (meanwhile, I've just finally defeated Azathoth) cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Will
United States
Hays
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that FFG has reprinted Forsaken Lore and it is about to hit store shelves here in the US. I imagine it will be in the UK soon also. Keep your eyes open for it at your FLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.