Subject: Mask of Sthenelus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John S
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The artifact Mask of Sthenelus has this action.

Action: You may spend 1 Improvement or Impairment token to improve 1 skill of your choice or gain 1 Talent Condition.

I'm playing it as an investigator must spend an Improvement or Impairment Token to get the Talent Condition. Otherwise I would read it as an investigator could have a choice between getting a talent condition or using Improve/Impair tokens to improve skills. If this were the case an investigator could just use the action to gain many talent conditions over several rounds and that seems too powerful to me. I just want to be sure I'm playing this correctly by having to spend Improvement/Impairment tokens for either option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grondel wrote:

Action: You may spend 1 Improvement or Impairment token to improve 1 skill of your choice or gain 1 Talent Condition.

I'm playing it as an investigator mush spend an Improvement or Impairment Token to get the Talent Condition. Otherwise I would read it as an investigator could have a choice between getting a talent condition or using Improve/Impair tokens to improve skills. If this were the case an investigator could just use the action to gain many talent conditions over several rounds and that seems too powerful to me. I just want to be sure I'm playing this correctly by having to spend Improvement/Impairment tokens for either option.

Yes, I'm pretty sure you're reading this right. To put it in a more wordy way, it should probably say:

Action: You may spend 1 Improvement or Impairment token; if you do, either improve 1 skill of your choice or gain 1 Talent Condition.

That is, as an action you make an exchange. There are two possible costs (improvement or impairment), and two possible rewards (improvement or talent). You pay 1 and you get 1.

I'm not sure if there's any specific precedence or FAQ to cover this exact wording, but I think there's little doubt that that's how it [i]should[/u] be read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are almost definitely playing it correctly. I don't know about parsing the exact wording on the card, but I find it highly unlikely that even an artifact would let you gain a talent every turn for no cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised it lets you spend an Impairment token to gain a benefit. Very nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
I'm surprised it lets you spend an Impairment token to gain a benefit. Very nice!

It's an artifact, it needs to have more than what's essentially Lola's ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grondel wrote:

I'm playing it as an investigator must spend an Improvement or Impairment Token to get the Talent Condition. Otherwise I would read it as an investigator could have a choice between getting a talent condition or using Improve/Impair tokens to improve skills. If this were the case an investigator could just use the action to gain many talent conditions over several rounds and that seems too powerful to me. I just want to be sure I'm playing this correctly by having to spend Improvement/Impairment tokens for either option.

You are playing correctly. It's a little idiosyncratic, but that's the syntax FFG uses. If the intention had been the other way, they would have written

Action: You may spend 1 Improvement or Impairment token to improve 1 skill of your choice; or gain 1 Talent Condition.

That semi-colon makes a big difference!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the responses!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.