Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be a silly question, but is there any terrain in the battles you have? All the photos I see seem to be one big nasty monster on a plain grid with a bunch of heroes (survivors?) trying to slay it. I understand that each monster has it's own AI deck so there is some challenge provided there, but is there any terrain? Trees, large stones, ruined buildings, etc.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Perry
United States
Coral Springs
FL
flag msg tools
TWIST Gaming
mbmbmbmb
There is a terrain deck that you add to the map depending on the monster. Many things are items to pick up but there are stone columns, tall grass, stone faces and other terrain that change the battlefield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Coincidentally, I was just thinking about this topic this morning. Often this question is really an alternate way of asking if there are any interesting tactics in the fight. Prior to playing it, it can look like four figures standing around the monster and beating on it until it dies.

Fortunately, it rarely plays like that. The monsters have and use a lot of mobility and things like monster facing and survivor positioning matter a great deal. There can be a surprising number of decisions to make each fight. I've yet to get bored with it after over 100 hours of play. Sometimes you can get trivial fights, but they end fast. Otherwise, you'll be thinking. A lot can depend on how much challenge you choose to take on.

To answer the direct question, there is terrain. Sometimes it matters a great deal, but often not much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
Coincidentally, I was just thinking about this topic this morning. Often this question is really an alternate way of asking if there are any interesting tactics in the fight. Prior to playing it, it can look like four figures standing around the monster and beating on it until it dies.

Fortunately, it rarely plays like that. The monsters have and use a lot of mobility and things like monster facing and survivor positioning matter a great deal. There can be a surprising number of decisions to make each fight. I've yet to get bored with it after over 100 hours of play. Sometimes you can get trivial fights, but they end fast. Otherwise, you'll be thinking. A lot can depend on how much challenge you choose to take on.

To answer the direct question, there is terrain. Sometimes it matters a great deal, but often not much.

I try to make the best of terrain features, even if I have to forfeit some attacks just to put myself in a good position terrainwise (There are usually other good uses for activation meanwhile). People tend to follow the monster and attack it wherever it is. Though I doubt that is the optimal way to go...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
Brian T wrote:
This may be a silly question, but is there any terrain in the battles you have? All the photos I see seem to be one big nasty monster on a plain grid with a bunch of heroes (survivors?) trying to slay it. I understand that each monster has it's own AI deck so there is some challenge provided there, but is there any terrain? Trees, large stones, ruined buildings, etc.?

Yes, there is terrain, LOADS of different kinds. They come in the form of tiles. You could jazz it up by creating custom terrain, but it just ends up slowing down gameplay and being a hassle, IMO.

Depending on your strategy, terrain can be a huge asset or a liability.
Some simple things terrain may be used for for:

- You can stand in the tall grass to increase your evasion.
- You can hide in tall grass to... well, not be a target.
- You can hide behind columns, jump over lava pits (hopefully),
get smash into things and smash them in turn.

For example, I'd hide my fighters behind a stone column and try to bait the monster, with more mobile survivors, to approach my point of ambush. Once the monster is in range, I'll charge from cover with my assault guys and attack the monsters blind spot.

Probably the most useful are the numerous terrain tiles you could mine or acquire materials from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.