John Harris
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
What type of packaging do you as a consumer prefer?
Set top 2 piece cardboard
Magnetic flap cardboard
Set top 2 piece tin
      37 answers
Poll created by bolog

We are considering all three options for our next project and we wondering if there was a strong preference one way or another.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
If the cardboard is thick and durable and kind of like Axis & Allies boards, then they should be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboard allows for sharp corners, flat sides, is lightweight and is an accepted standard.

Magnetic closure systems are cute, but can affect things unexpectedly, like credit cards, people with pacemakers or compasses. These can also open unexpectedly if the box is overstuffed or under stress.

Tin boxes have this annoying habit of popping open while in transit, spilling their contents all over the trunk, back seat or pavement. They also can easily get dinged/deformed. Typical solution is a rubber band or other similar containment system.

I've skipped over games in tin enclosures because of the packaging.

I haven't skipped over any magnetic-closure systems (yet), but have picked up box-bands to ensure they stay closed, and personally would prefer to not have to worry about hidden magnets in the collection.

In the end, the box has to hold the contents and not open unexpectedly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
byronczimmer wrote:

Magnetic closure systems are cute, but can affect things unexpectedly, like credit cards, people with pacemakers or compasses.

Good God! What they hell are you doing with your games??? That would make for one strange obituary right there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Urich
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like magnetic flaps. They never work other than for a fancy $600 phone where you just throw the box away five seconds later anyways.

I don't like tins. They're never a standard size, always get dented up, often have bad seals, and might give you a static shock when you're just trying to play a game.

Save yourself some money by using the industry standard cardboard box. When something is both cheaper and better, just smile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

Magnetic closure systems are cute, but can affect things unexpectedly, like credit cards, people with pacemakers or compasses.

Good God! What they hell are you doing with your games???

you don't hug your games at the end of the night when you tuck them back on the shelf?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
mafman6 wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

Good God! What they hell are you doing with your games???

you don't hug your games at the end of the night when you tuck them back on the shelf?

Not anymore!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

C'mon. Honestly, how many people have had problems with any of these?

Anyway, I like the magnet closures for the small Rory's Story cubes boxes, but mostly I just want regular boxes. Tins are awful.

For card games, I wish that more had durable boxes that kept the contents organized and stayed closed, but I'm sure it's a cost issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mb
Please avoid magnets
Magnets and magnetism will be the pollution of the future: it is getting harder and harder to find tools and containers that do not include the pesky things.

I make small steel parts that can be ruined by magnetism, so I try to keep magnets out of my shop--it is difficult. Once steel is magnetized is takes power to demagnetize it and it can be re-contaminated easily.

Please, let's all use fewer magnets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
professorguy wrote:
Magnets and magnetism will be the pollution of the future: it is getting harder and harder to find tools and containers that do not include the pesky things.

I make small steel parts that can be ruined by magnetism, so I try to keep magnets out of my shop--it is difficult. Once steel is magnetized is takes power to demagnetize it and it can be re-contaminated easily.

Please, let's all use fewer magnets.

Heat and percussion are your friend for demagnetization.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Standard 2 piece lid for me. As others have pointed out, minimum shelf space especially if I store the game vertically/bookshelf style. Also the deep telescoping lids don't pop open (especially if vertical).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.