BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG.CON

Subject: concerns about hotel rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jerry baker
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i have a reservation but my hotel is not the convention hotel, its is a hotel just outside of the airport.

to those who have gone to bgg con before:

1. will traveling back and forth from my hotel be an issue?
2. what time does the convention open/close each day?
3. are there a list of any events yets?
4. how does the games library work?

p.s. if any body has a room at the convention site they would like to get rid of i would be more than happy to take it off your hands
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
You might want to read the various threads stickied at the top of the BGG.CON forum; the answers to all of your questions are contained within them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bakerid2000 wrote:
i have a reservation but my hotel is not the convention hotel, its is a hotel just outside of the airport.

Hard to know the answer to this without knowing your hotel. In general, no it's not too much of an issue. Remember to get your toll ticket validated at the Hyatt Regency concierge desk.

Quote:

It doesn't: 24 hours of gaming!! Though the library closes at midnight and opens at 8am (I think).

Quote:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/BGGCON_Official_Sche...#

Quote:

When you register you will get a badge with a barcode. Take it to the library, take in the sheer immensity of that library, select a game and take it to the checkout desk. Give the game and your badge to the volunteer who will scan them both which checks the game out to you. Older titles are 8 hour check out and new releases are 4. Please check them back in (and out again if necessary) when your time is up: it's on the honor system. Overnight hours don't count against your check out time limit. All games must be returned by 1pm on Sunday.

Some of my times above may be a bit off, but the general gist is accurate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
Quote:

It doesn't: 24 hours of gaming!! Though the library closes at midnight and opens at 8am (I think).

Last year the ballroom got shut down at night, at least the first night, but I think that was a mistake by the hotel staff.

The library is open until 1am (except Sunday and during the closing ceremony)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Longstreet
United States
Mayfield Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me staying onsite is a priority going forward. Last year was my first visit too BGG Con

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Grapevine (just outside the airport), about a 10-15 shuttle bus ride. In and of itself that is not bad. But, honestly the the whole process of back and forth often took over an hour. Remember you have to call for a shuttle and or they will come at scheduled times. You get dropped off then have to wait to catch the next shuttle to go back.

For me this ruined BGG con. Every time I wanted a break or to drop of things I bought or pick something up I lost tons of time. Plus staying late is even more challenging when you are tired and have to wait for shuttle to show up.

So plan your breaks accordingly. I'm not saying it can't be done but just be prepared.

And yes I am staying onsite this year.

Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Anon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
The Honorable Salmon P. Chase
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the thread below. Very helpful for a first time attendee!

Tips on BGG Con from a Veteran (Updated for 2016)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
wmspringer wrote:
Last year the ballroom got shut down at night, at least the first night, but I think that was a mistake by the hotel staff.

Yeah, it was just the first night. They booted everyone out and it was closed for a bit, then it was reopened just an hour or two later. (The "booting out" wasn't unfriendly - there weren't many people in there and they let everyone finish their games while they did some cleaning.) I think there was some miscommunication going on that got straightened out.

Source: a friend who was also at the con who told me about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
trenttsd wrote:
wmspringer wrote:

Yeah, it was just the first night. They booted everyone out and it was closed for a bit, then it was reopened just an hour or two later. (The "booting out" wasn't unfriendly - there weren't many people in there and they let everyone finish their games while they did some cleaning.) I think there was some miscommunication going on that got straightened out.

This is the first I've ever heard about this happening. Granted, I did have pneumonia at the time, but Kristine tells me she never heard about this either. Which room was this, and which night?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Freitas
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bakerid2000 wrote:

p.s. if any body has a room at the convention site they would like to get rid of i would be more than happy to take it off your hands

everyone explained 2-4 well i want to touch on 1 if you have a car. if you plan to the shuttle, that post is probably quite accurate.

For driving though it's really a breeze if you remember 1 key thing. Parking pass validation before you leave.

Assuming you're one of the close outside ones it's about 5 min in on the way you'll pick up a toll ticket. If you have a toll pass only ever use Cash/credit TICKET ONLY lanes, and possibly pause your pass.

I've never had issue with parking so long as i got there by 10am. Sat can be a little full in the middle of the day but even then i found parking without much issue.

Gamed all i wanted loaded the car with stuff and then before you leave go to the conseirge and get your ticket validated (IMPORTANT). Then you leave and put the ticket in to pay (NOT YOUR CC). If you forget this step you can get reimbursed just go to the front desk and they will give you the info for that, just expect 4-6 months for that 13 dollar check lol.

But i've done it for 4 cons now and never had an issue.

If you are in a farther away hotel then just outside the airport be weary of early morning traffic wed-fri.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainQwyx wrote:
trenttsd wrote:
wmspringer wrote:

This is the first I've ever heard about this happening. Granted, I did have pneumonia at the time, but Kristine tells me she never heard about this either. Which room was this, and which night?

I wonder if they're talking about Tuesday night?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
CaptainQwyx wrote:
trenttsd wrote:
wmspringer wrote:

I wonder if they're talking about Tuesday night?

Yeah, if it was Tuesday, then that's not too surprising. The convention doesn't officially start until Wednesday morning and pre-gaming is at the graces of the hotel. We usually don't allow pre-gaming in the ballrooms anyway. Not sure yet where it will be allowed for this coming year, but we'll get it publicized once it's figured out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jerry baker
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
that was exactly what i wanted to know. i am just outside the con site and traffic wont be a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clongstr72 wrote:
For me staying onsite is a priority going forward. Last year was my first visit too BGG Con

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Grapevine (just outside the airport), about a 10-15 shuttle bus ride. In and of itself that is not bad. But, honestly the the whole process of back and forth often took over an hour. Remember you have to call for a shuttle and or they will come at scheduled times. You get dropped off then have to wait to catch the next shuttle to go back.

For me this ruined BGG con. Every time I wanted a break or to drop of things I bought or pick something up I lost tons of time. Plus staying late is even more challenging when you are tired and have to wait for shuttle to show up.

So plan your breaks accordingly. I'm not saying it can't be done but just be prepared.

And yes I am staying onsite this year.

Good luck

Oh no, I'm staying at Hyatt Place DFW and have been telling myself it won't be so bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Help me to help you! Help me to help you!
United States
Edmond
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bakerid2000 wrote:
that was exactly what i wanted to know. i am just outside the con site and traffic wont be a problem.

The past couple years we've stayed at the Hyatt Place by the Grapevine mall and drove our own car. It was a breeze and never took very long.

I still prefer staying on-site (we are this year!), but it is more like an added benefit to stay on-site than a negative drawback to stay off-site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Awesome
United States
A-Nation
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CaptainQwyx wrote:
trenttsd wrote:
wmspringer wrote:

Jeff, I believe that we are instituting a strict "No Catching Pneumonia Before the Con" policy for you this year. You will be required to attend with your established levels of health, participation, excitement, and general sparkle.

Stay Awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
captainawesome wrote:
CaptainQwyx wrote:
trenttsd wrote:
wmspringer wrote:

Jeff, I believe that we are instituting a strict "No Catching Pneumonia Before the Con" policy for you this year. You will be required to attend with your established levels of health, participation, excitement, and general sparkle.

Stay Awesome.

Allergies were acting up again this year so I went to the doctor last week - which is a big step for me... blush

Just finishing my course of steroids now and I'm fully stocked up on Costco's Flonase knock-off, so I should be good this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.