Sorren Day
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
Everything is awesome!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this isn't an exclusive issue to this game and something that happens all across BGG, but I just checked the ratings and there are way too many low ratings that are based entirely on the delay of the kickstarter fulfillment, rather than whether the game is actually any good or not.

Yes I agree it is annoying that we've had to wait so long for our copies to turn up. I backed the project myself, and just over a year later than the estimated delivery date I finally received my copy. Do I wish it had turned up sooner? Yes of course. Should this production delay affect my rating of the game? No of course not. The two things are completely unrelated.

I think there is an issue lately with people backing kickstarters and feeling entitled. When you back a project on kickstarter it clearly states that delays might be an issue, or even worse that a project will just fall completely apart even after funding. We have seen this happen and people lose their money. These are the risks however and they are CLEARLY STATED when you back a project.

There have been some very smooth kickstarters in recent times because big companies (eg Cool Mini or Not) have run them and they have access to a lot more resources when it comes to the production and fulfillment of their product.
Surviving: One Month In was made, published, and shipped because of ONE guy. Sure his updates could have done with being more frequent, but at the end of the day it was one guy chasing up factories trying to get his product done as quickly as possible and not at the sacrifice of quality.

The fact that he has managed to finally get his creation printed and published, and done it by himself, is an amazing achievement and should be commended. He should not be receiving a torrent of abuse because you didn't get your toy when you wanted it.

Cut him some slack, and stop feeling so entitled. Like Tom Vasel has said previously on the Dice Tower, these are JUST games, they are just a luxury, they are not important, they are not vital to your survival.

If you back a Kickstarter be prepared for delays and risks. Just be happy when something you've backed does eventually come through. And take some pride in the fact that you helped that happen. That's what it is meant to be about. Kickstarter is not a pre-order service, you don't have the right to complain if something is late.

You know how I treat Kickstarter? I look for projects I'm interested in, back them, then put them out of my mind. I get updates every few weeks and just drop in every now and then to see how things are going. Then I wait until I get the email saying fulfillment has started, and I look forward to my stuff turning up in the post. And what do I do in all that time that I'm waiting? I play the literally THOUSANDS of other games that are available right now, and the literally HUNDREDS I have in my collection currently.

I know this has been a bit of a rant, but the point I want to get across to people is this: Please stop complaining about Kickstarters, stop being so negative and entitled, and instead spend your time having fun, playing and enjoying games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenny Raaymakers
New Zealand
Wanganui
flag msg tools
Good points. I'm one of those people who rated it thus. The reason? Not delays, no way. Delays are perfectly normal, and one of the games I backed 2 years ago is still in the making (1.5 years after the fulfilment date). No problem, it doesn't really matter as long as there is one thing: communication.

That is the issue with this designer. Great game, not too long a wait, affordable. The problem is, he absolutely, flat-out, staunchly, completely refuses to write to anyone. I have not myself written to him as designers are busy enough as it is and everyone else is ignored anyway. But when there are so many updates that are false (false shipping updates) and the comments section is full of people begging for answers to various questions and the designer just ignores all the people who helped bring his project to life, well, that is just unacceptable.

Rating is not based on the game (as mentioned) but stands to warn others that there is a possible scam. Rating will change once the project is completed and received. Everything is in the designer's hands yet, as everybody can testify, he ignores everything and makes strange updates.

We now all believe the game exists and is actually being shipped. All good. The problem is his backerphobia. All that was needed was a few simple replies to questions and comments. Kickstarter is about communication.

I'm not one to write negative stuff about KS. I've backed more than most people on there and am more than happy to wait over a year for fulfilment. Couldn't care less about time. Again, the delay is not what people are complaining about.

Communication is simple and requires little effort. No excuse for silence. Not one. Zilch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that the game is turning up I was curious to see if anyone would retract all the hate they spewed but never underestimate the power of vengeance.

Folks were upset over the lack of communication in the project (in my opinion rightfully so, communication is important) and they want someone to pay for those feelings of frustration. They will refuse to play the game, they will leave bad ratings. They will make the creator suffer damn it. SUFFER!!!

This part I think is silly. Feeling frustrated is totally valid, however how someone deals with that frustration is entirely in control of that individual. If they chose to fuel those feelings of anger, to hold on to them, nurture them, keep them from passing. Well in that case it's hard to see their point of view. And if they have built such a strong association with those bad feelings and the game that they won't even play it (after paying for it), well again I think that is silly.

I do agree it's healthier to deal with those feelings of anger in a more constructive way. I don't think it's human nature to forgive as it's much easier to hate. As such I don't see those ratings changing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gregory
Australia
Mount Nelson
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sonichydra wrote:

You know how I treat Kickstarter? I look for projects I'm interested in, back them, then put them out of my mind. I get updates every few weeks and just drop in every now and then to see how things are going. Then I wait until I get the email saying fulfillment has started, and I look forward to my stuff turning up in the post. And what do I do in all that time that I'm waiting? I play the literally THOUSANDS of other games that are available right now, and the literally HUNDREDS I have in my collection currently.

I know this has been a bit of a rant, but the point I want to get across to people is this: Please stop complaining about Kickstarters, stop being so negative and entitled, and instead spend your time having fun, playing and enjoying games.

I agree with your comments about the negativity. If a game is finally delivered, then ratings should be adjusted to reflect the actual game. I think however if a negative Kickstarter experience sours ones feelings when they actually play the game, i.e. when they look at the box they only think about how much of a pain in the butt it was to get, and that subsequently makes them less likely to want to play it, then that's fair as well. They are not completely unrelated, because the geek rating system asks us in part how do we feel about wanting to play that particular game. I don't think you can really seperate your emotions from how you personally rate the game.

But I really dislike it when people complain about other backers being 'entitled'. People DO have the right to complain if something is late if there is no communication forthcoming as to why. People should be able to express their frustration if the product delivered does not match with what was promised, in terms of quality and gameplay. Yes there are risks to a backer, and I for one am very used to waiting for projects that are significantly delayed for various reasons. But that doesn't mean creators should be given free rein to do what they like and without any accountability, just because it's 'Kickstarter'. There are obligations that the people behind the project have to meet, and they are listed in the FAQ for creators.

Edit: I don't think rating the game a 10 just to 'balance out' the ratings helps much either, but I can understand why people are doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Mcilroy
United States
Hanford
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
After owning this game for awhile, I adjusted my rating down to two. My original rating of three happened after I got the game, I think less of it now. What could help is a complete rewrite of the rulebook by someone else other than the creator. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.