PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We really need something to click on when we get suckered into opening a forum message with a misleading subject line. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironregime wrote:
We really need something to click on when we get suckered into opening a forum message with a misleading subject line. :shake:

Become more involved. Post a message asking for a more informative subject line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Null Field wrote:
ironregime wrote:
We really need something to click on when we get suckered into opening a forum message with a misleading subject line. shake

Well, then you're eliminating 3/4 of BGG posts...

Are you suggesting that's a bad thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
TVis wrote:
Become more involved. Post a message asking for a more informative subject line.

Or let users edit content.

There's so much cruft and noise here that's easily dealt with by a proper rating system and the ability for experienced contributors to edit all content. It's a shame BGG is taking so long to get there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko G├╝nther
Germany
Saarbr├╝cken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
Aldaron wrote:
TVis wrote:

There's so much cruft and noise here that's easily dealt with by a proper rating system and the ability for experienced contributors to edit all content. It's a shame BGG is taking so long to get there.

Crazy stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This geeklist I made was inspired by this thread.

Clickbait headlines for games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thelonious Monk - Monk's Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whattheproblemis wrote:
This geeklist I made was inspired by this thread.

Clickbait headlines for games

With a six thumb thread for inspiration, that list should be wildly successful. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
TVis wrote:

What, and go to the slow death spiral of Wikipedia?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
TVis wrote:

Ok, I have to say that if somebody else was able to just edit my posts in the forums, no matter how experienced they were, I'd immediately stop posting to BGG -- after all, in the forums, we are mostly exchanging our experiences and views, and I don't want them to be replaced by someone else's, especially not since they show up under my handle.
Thread titles only are a bit of a different matter, I guess, and it could be useful if some moderators edited them. (And game pages, sure, obviously. But that is already the case, right?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Disagree with OP, too subjective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
adamredwoods wrote:

There isn't a metric for content that isn't a subjective to some degree though.

I suppose you could allow rules violation flags to have description on why things are flagged, but then you'd have to also have have slightly more robust set of rules and guidelines for flagging and also a lot more moderation workforce, which seems to be something BGG is either unable or unwilling to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My original post was only half serious. Mostly I just hate clicking on a thread with amisleading title only to find out its a waste of my time.

My more realistic preference would not be to hide threads that are popularly flagged as clickbait, but merely have a symbol or bit of text auto-appended to the subject line.

You know, kind of like when your email filter appends "[possible spam]" to subject lines, or when "[citation needed]" is appended to certain Wikipedia edits. Same idea here, but maybe more subtlely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Pearson
England
Leicester
flag msg tools
Never drop a crate!
mbmbmbmbmb
Null Field wrote:
I disagreed with the OP, but then you wouldn't believe what happened next...

Did it blow your mind?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Shader10 wrote:
adamredwoods wrote:

There isn't a metric for content that isn't a subjective to some degree though.

I suppose you could allow rules violation flags to have description on why things are flagged, but then you'd have to also have have slightly more robust set of rules and guidelines for flagging and also a lot more moderation workforce, which seems to be something BGG is either unable or unwilling to do.

Clickbait relies on the content beyond the click. Is the content partially useful? Then it may not be clickbait. I feel content usefulness truly depends on who is reading, how far they read, what they understand from it. Very subjective, so it should not be subject to flagging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray R.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While it's subjective whether the content ends up being useful, there's nothing useful about a subject line that reads "Am I the only one?".

Extending the topic a bit, this is less about flagging clickbait and more about encouraging more useful titles.

It may be sufficient just to tag the thread with something like "looks good but needs better subject" and hope people take the gentle hint. Or maybe thank the person for the useful content and remind the author that more people could find the content if the title were more related to the content.

Rules questions, in particular, benefit from a more specific title. Some real examples of way too common Rules titles that could use improvement:
"Question after reading the rules"
"Need clarification about something"
"Question ..."
"Quick question"
"Another question"
"Newbie question"
etc

I believe most people mean well and when it's pointed out that a good title can help people who are looking for the same answer, they'll adjust it and do better next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
Aldaron wrote:

Ok, I have to say that if somebody else was able to just edit my posts in the forums, no matter how experienced they were, I'd immediately stop posting to BGG -- after all, in the forums, we are mostly exchanging our experiences and views, and I don't want them to be replaced by someone else's, especially not since they show up under my handle.
Thread titles only are a bit of a different matter, I guess, and it could be useful if some moderators edited them. (And game pages, sure, obviously. But that is already the case, right?)

Poll
Would you still contribute to BGG if other users could edit your contributions?
Definitely
Probably
Probably not
Definitely not
      166 answers
Poll created by col_w

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that the title of this thread should be:

Add "This thread is clickbait" option to the "Flag this thread" menu, so this thread can be marked as clickbait
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sagritalo
United States
Round Lake Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rayr wrote:
While it's subjective whether the content ends up being useful, there's nothing useful about a subject line that reads "Am I the only one?".

I tend not to click on posts with such ambiguous titles. So, I guess that might be a good way of handling this type of situation. Don't click the link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
Or let users edit content, you stupid ass.

Hey, that's not very nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.