$20.00
$15.00
$5.00
Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
77 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: As Hillary Abandons Ohio, Media Says Ohio Is 'Too White and Uneducated' Anyway rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's great how a few weeks ago it was "key" to her strategy and now that they're not buying what she's selling they're all just a bunch of uneducated hicks:


https://pjmedia.com/homeland-security/2016/10/03/is-hillary-...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
It's great how a few weeks ago it was "key" to her strategy and now that they're not buying what she's selling they're all just a bunch of uneducated hicks:


https://pjmedia.com/homeland-security/2016/10/03/is-hillary-...


It's important. It's only 6 votes but they vote first. People like to vote for a winner so when trump wins ohio that means some people will vote for him in the next round of elections.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
It's great how a few weeks ago it was "key" to her strategy and now that they're not buying what she's selling they're all just a bunch of uneducated hicks:


I have been to Ohio and can say that she's not entirely wrong.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Elections are all about managing your time and money there's a reason DJT doesn't spend money in NY. Campaigns say they will "abandon" a state and a month later spend a shit ton there. Move along people there is nothing to see here. Strickland has been a "dead man walking" for a long time so there's no twofer reason to put gads of $ into Ohio. I'll bet BHO visits Cleveland and possibly Cincinnati before Nov.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, is she really abandoning Ohio? That's one of the biggest swing states besides Florida and I think she is going to win Florida. If Trump locks those two he has a very good shot.

Of course I base this knowledge off of playing Campaign Manager 2008 so if that is wrong blame the game not me.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If that's true we're friggin doomed. Ohio is the bellwether. I'd be willing to bet $50 that wherever Ohio goes, so goes the presidency.

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/why-oh...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Wow, is she really abandoning Ohio? That's one of the biggest swing states besides Florida and I think she is going to win Florida. If Trump locks those two he has a very good shot.

Of course I base this knowledge off of playing Campaign Manager 2008 so if that is wrong blame the game not me.


It's only a "must win: for DJT. HRC isn't done if the poles get closer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
News flash: Politicians go where the votes are.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
einsteinidahosu wrote:
If that's true we're friggin doomed. Ohio is the bellwether. I'd be willing to bet $50 that wherever Ohio goes, so goes the presidency.

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/why-oh...
If you read the NYTimes piece, the entire point is that Ohio is no longer "the bellwether."

And actually, the same guy you referenced above basically admits (on the same website) this could be the case:

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/why-tr...

Quote:
So what role does Ohio play in this election? Here are three possibilities:

If Donald Trump becomes president, Ohio will vote for him. If Hillary Clinton wins Ohio, she will be president. But if Hillary Clinton wins by just a small margin nationally, the state could easily back Trump in a loss.

That’s because both history and demographics suggest Trump will perform better in Ohio than he does nationally, just like Nixon did in 1960. If that’s what happens, the key questions then are: 1. By how much does Trump outperform his national average in Ohio; and 2. Are the changes that Trump may make to the electorate fleeting, or are they permanent?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suddenly Ohio doesnt matter as soon as their candidate pulls out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Read the article. Didn't see where Media says Ohio is too white and uneducated. What was said in the article was this:

Quote:
But its Rust Belt profile, Mr. Trump’s unyielding anti-trade campaign and Mrs. Clinton’s difficulty energizing Ohio’s young voters have made it a lesser focus for Democrats this year, even as it remains critical to Mr. Trump’s path to the White House. As Mrs. Clinton’s aides privately note, the demographic makeup of Florida, Colorado and North Carolina, which have a greater percentage of educated or nonwhite voters, makes those states more promising for Democrats in a contest in which the electorate is sorted along bright racial and economic lines.


"Educated" in this sense means "college degree." In that way, it's an accurate representation of campaign strategy. As Mac said, it's only 6 Electoral College votes, two more than Oklahoma's delegation. Clinton's camp is strategizing like a good pol. Trump's campaign, by contrast, doesn't seem to have a strategy.

But filter that through whatever biases one might have. The old saw about "who wins Ohio wins the presidency" was tossed into the ashcan of history the moment Donald J. Trump won the Republican nomination. The past is meaningless when it comes to this election.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clinton is 70% likely to beat Trump in the national election now (that's up from 1am).

Trump is 56% likely to take ohio.

Clinton's time and money are better spent in other states where trump's lead is smaller and more electoral votes are at stake.

The trend in Ohio is against Trump; and he's down to 50.2% in the latest ohio polls but the projection is that he still wins in November.

This race is getting volatile.

When Trump starts reading words put into his mouth by others- and he slowly starts to win. Trump starts being trump- and he always starts to lose really fast bigly.

Trump personally struggles to string 8 words together coherently but he is some how able to easily insult or piss off entire blocks of voters with 3 word statements.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Hillary has 10 ways to win without Ohio. Trump has only one (trade Ohio for Pennsylvania AND sweep the other swing states).

It's pretty much a must-win for Trump.

It's just a bonus for Hillary. And it's one of the swing states she's polling the worst in.

It would be very shrewd to abandon it and focus elsewhere, like Florida which is even MORE important and she's polling much better.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Wow, is she really abandoning Ohio? That's one of the biggest swing states besides Florida and I think she is going to win Florida. If Trump locks those two he has a very good shot.

Of course I base this knowledge off of playing Campaign Manager 2008 so if that is wrong blame the game not me.


I never played any of those games, though I always thought they looked like fun.

Anybody know if there's a 2016 themed one out yet?



Ferret
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump loses Florida, he's over and done. End of story.

Mainly because VA is completely lost (more so with the selection of Kaine), and NC is back to trending blue. HRC has been having consistent leads in PA and the upper Midwest.

So yeah, if he loses FL, Trump has to win OH and run the table elsewhere, which... it certainly isn't impossible, but I wouldn't put any money on it.

Shifting resources around = OMG SHE'S ABANDONING OHIO IMA TOUCH MYSELF

Ehhhh, no.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Read the article. Didn't see where Media says Ohio is too white and uneducated. What was said in the article was this:

Quote:
But its Rust Belt profile, Mr. Trump’s unyielding anti-trade campaign and Mrs. Clinton’s difficulty energizing Ohio’s young voters have made it a lesser focus for Democrats this year, even as it remains critical to Mr. Trump’s path to the White House. As Mrs. Clinton’s aides privately note, the demographic makeup of Florida, Colorado and North Carolina, which have a greater percentage of educated or nonwhite voters, makes those states more promising for Democrats in a contest in which the electorate is sorted along bright racial and economic lines.


"Educated" in this sense means "college degree." In that way, it's an accurate representation of campaign strategy. As Mac said, it's only 6 Electoral College votes, two more than Oklahoma's delegation. Clinton's camp is strategizing like a good pol. Trump's campaign, by contrast, doesn't seem to have a strategy.

But filter that through whatever biases one might have. The old saw about "who wins Ohio wins the presidency" was tossed into the ashcan of history the moment Donald J. Trump won the Republican nomination. The past is meaningless when it comes to this election.


?? Ohio is 18 electoral votes
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Ferretman wrote:
galad2003 wrote:
Wow, is she really abandoning Ohio? That's one of the biggest swing states besides Florida and I think she is going to win Florida. If Trump locks those two he has a very good shot.

Of course I base this knowledge off of playing Campaign Manager 2008 so if that is wrong blame the game not me.


I never played any of those games, though I always thought they looked like fun.

Anybody know if there's a 2016 themed one out yet?



Ferret

If there is a 2016 version, I am totally getting that one. I want to see if I can get Cruz to win every electoral vote.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
galad2003 wrote:
Wow, is she really abandoning Ohio? That's one of the biggest swing states besides Florida and I think she is going to win Florida. If Trump locks those two he has a very good shot.

Of course I base this knowledge off of playing Campaign Manager 2008 so if that is wrong blame the game not me.


I never played any of those games, though I always thought they looked like fun.

Anybody know if there's a 2016 themed one out yet?



Ferret

If there is a 2016 version, I am totally getting that one. I want to see if I can get Cruz to win every electoral vote.


Oh, that game already exists:

Chaos in the Old World
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Wow, is she really abandoning Ohio? That's one of the biggest swing states besides Florida and I think she is going to win Florida. If Trump locks those two he has a very good shot.
No not really, the editorial at the link is someone aggregating news stories in the hopes of supporting his conclusion of "media hints" she is abandoning Ohio. I see and hear her ads all the time and she just visited two cities here yesterday. She might abandon it, but she isn't yet.

It sucks that most of the state is Red, but it is what it is. Unfortunately, most of the middle class people who are hurting the most don't realize that Trump is just as bad or even worse at building an economy that benefits them.

I predict this will be an election that will be poorly reflected by lead-up polls. I think a lot of the people who find it easy to give opinions to pollsters, might not find the motivation to make it to the polls on election day. This may all come down to who actually gets their supporters off their asses. Especially if we do get a couple more debates. Independents might just put up their hands in disgust.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
If so, it's a pretty odd way to do it. She just had an event there and is still spending money. What is this conservative fascination with giving up Ohio?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
galad2003 wrote:
Wow, is she really abandoning Ohio? That's one of the biggest swing states besides Florida and I think she is going to win Florida. If Trump locks those two he has a very good shot.

Of course I base this knowledge off of playing Campaign Manager 2008 so if that is wrong blame the game not me.


I never played any of those games, though I always thought they looked like fun.

Anybody know if there's a 2016 themed one out yet?



Ferret

If there is a 2016 version, I am totally getting that one. I want to see if I can get Cruz to win every electoral vote.


Oh, that game already exists:

Chaos in the Old World


I'm thinking Nurgle....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
Terwox wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
galad2003 wrote:
Wow, is she really abandoning Ohio? That's one of the biggest swing states besides Florida and I think she is going to win Florida. If Trump locks those two he has a very good shot.

Of course I base this knowledge off of playing Campaign Manager 2008 so if that is wrong blame the game not me.


I never played any of those games, though I always thought they looked like fun.

Anybody know if there's a 2016 themed one out yet?

Ferret

If there is a 2016 version, I am totally getting that one. I want to see if I can get Cruz to win every electoral vote.


Oh, that game already exists:

Chaos in the Old World


I'm thinking Nurgle....


I'd of pegged him as Slaneesh.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
Terwox wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
galad2003 wrote:
Wow, is she really abandoning Ohio? That's one of the biggest swing states besides Florida and I think she is going to win Florida. If Trump locks those two he has a very good shot.

Of course I base this knowledge off of playing Campaign Manager 2008 so if that is wrong blame the game not me.


I never played any of those games, though I always thought they looked like fun.

Anybody know if there's a 2016 themed one out yet?

Ferret

If there is a 2016 version, I am totally getting that one. I want to see if I can get Cruz to win every electoral vote.


Oh, that game already exists:

Chaos in the Old World


I'm thinking Nurgle....


I'd of pegged him as Slaneesh.


Clinton probably still has more people and offices in Ohio than Trump does in the entire country. And I bet none of her offices are run by teenagers.

Okay, this is a little dated and restricted to battleground statesbut I'm wrong





Money that Trump could have used to open more offices was diverted into his personal fortune.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Ohio. I can't turn on the TV without seeing adds for Clinton. Bill Clinton is in Ohio RIGHT NOW, campaigning. Barack Obama will be in Ohio next week, campaigning for HRC.

And Hillary Clinton was in Ohio yesterday, campaigning.

Yeah, Clinton might lose Ohio. But they've hardly abandoned it.
18 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
Read the article. Didn't see where Media says Ohio is too white and uneducated. What was said in the article was this:

Quote:
But its Rust Belt profile, Mr. Trump’s unyielding anti-trade campaign and Mrs. Clinton’s difficulty energizing Ohio’s young voters have made it a lesser focus for Democrats this year, even as it remains critical to Mr. Trump’s path to the White House. As Mrs. Clinton’s aides privately note, the demographic makeup of Florida, Colorado and North Carolina, which have a greater percentage of educated or nonwhite voters, makes those states more promising for Democrats in a contest in which the electorate is sorted along bright racial and economic lines.


"Educated" in this sense means "college degree." In that way, it's an accurate representation of campaign strategy. As Mac said, it's only 6 Electoral College votes, two more than Oklahoma's delegation. Clinton's camp is strategizing like a good pol. Trump's campaign, by contrast, doesn't seem to have a strategy.

But filter that through whatever biases one might have. The old saw about "who wins Ohio wins the presidency" was tossed into the ashcan of history the moment Donald J. Trump won the Republican nomination. The past is meaningless when it comes to this election.


?? Ohio is 18 electoral votes


Yes, please, someone explain to me why the number "6" is getting tossed around - I have heard it more than once on more than one website. Ohio has 16 delegates that it sends to the House, which means there are 18 delegates sent to the Electoral College.

Am I missing something?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.