Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What games do you regularly play that are so entertaining that players will discuss the game long after the game ends?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cohn
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
So many. Agricola, Concordia, Orleans, Keyflower all top that list. Dissecting the engines that worked or failed.

I also find that a great hand of tichu (or an epic flop) make for good discussion fodder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tales of the Arabian Nights and any co-op that we lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my group tends to talk the most when different strategies are tried out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nearly every RPG I've played -- not RPG-likes, but games with actual roleplaying and personal investment in characters.

I no longer play Diplomacy, but those discussions always carried on, sometimes resurfacing days later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Food Chain Magnate
Quartermaster General
are the games right now that the strategy, tipping points, and possibilities discussion go on long after game complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think, with the exception of ultra light games, my husband and I discuss nearly every game after we play it. Probably more so when an interesting circumstance occurs during the game, or if it's a really close and exciting game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We live in a Benedictine monastery, so we never talk about our games at all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
TIME Stories is a big one.

Each Member of the group has at random times days after our session brought up theories about the story. It's been a lot of fun and I think that's the true appeal for a game like that.

Wiz-War and Talisman both do the same thing but in a more wacky, "Oh my god, I can't believe the sorcerer turned you into a toad and then the grim reaper came and took you away to death" sort of way.

Things that have been discussed after a game of Wiz-War:

How locking your self in a one by one square with another character and a fire cloak makes for some hilarious punching matches.

That one time so and so summoned the minotaur and knocked so and so through a fire wall and into a thorn bush to kill them.

My group isn't so talkative after a more strategic game like Caverna or Five Tribes, mostly because nobody wants to reveal their inner strategies and thought processes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaleb Belveal
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
One game in particular I remember sticking with us for a long time after we played was All Flesh Must Be Eaten. It's a D&D style zombie survival game and it was very fun. I played a character that was an 8 year old kid. At one point another player locked me in a refrigerator to hid me from zombies. You don't just walk about and forget an event that goofy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Immediately after playing a game, for most deeper games we usually have some discussion. But in terms of talking about a game further distant in time:
In the past, lifestyle games like CCG's have been the ones we talked about a lot. My wife and I used to talk a lot about Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective between game sittings (we often would not finish a scenario is one sitting). More recently, I've probably talked about Pandemic Legacy (where we are in our campaigns, where others are, how and where we got messed up, etc.) more than any other game. All of these have an aspect of campaign, which promotes that between-game discussion.

Multiplayer wargames like Britannia, Eclipse, Maria, etc. are probably the ones where we most often recollect about what X or Y player did in a specific gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
New Zealand
flag msg tools
www.paulandcaillie.com
badge
...um, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly my wife doesn't really enjoy dissecting games - she feels it just gives the winner a platform to gloat. So that leaves my other groups. A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) used to get a lot of discussion but I got rid of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle always inspires at least an hour of conversation afterwards. To me, it's part of what makes the game special; there's nothing like cracking open that last beer and debriefing each other on all your secrets, held cards, and failed plays for Middle Eastern control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Richard Tuft
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of them. The group is 90% chess players, so after-analysis comes natural. Imperial probably prompts the longest talks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
I like games that prompt discussion about wider things. There's always a little bit of game play talk I guess but I like it when "real world" talk comes out of the game. Doesn't have to be serious or worthy. Could be prompted by the theme or it perhaps the replication of real life decisions (would you really do that, in real life? Sort of thing).

I guess that could be the players more than the game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melen
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Tales of the Arabian Nights! The game where my daughter was on a futile quest to get married was a riot. She failed miserably all game... until she was turned into a bear. Then she got married immediately! We have had other memorable sessions, but that was the best.

We also talk about sessions of Castles of Mad King Ludwig. The same daughter tried to explain why the King wanted the meat locker right next to the master bedroom. I don't think she meant it the way she said it. Most sessions of "Castle" have some crazy room juxtapositions to laugh about for days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Chiriatti
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game that gets the biggest burst of conversation for us is TTR when played in teams. You're not allowed to discuss your strategies with your teammate during play, but as soon as the game ends, everyone starts talking about the game: with their teammate and each other. I find it amazing; it's like the cork being pulled out of a bottle of shaken champagne.

Great idea for a topic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica!

There's typically plenty of discussions during the game, as well.
After the game everyone wants to know how soon the Cylon players were aware they were Cylons and what they did to sabotage the Humans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
its funny how everyone just jumped immediately to discussions about strategy.. In short term, my group usually will talk about the different approaches to the game we just played.. the long term discussions are usually about funny events and actions that have occurred.. The 3 events that come to mind:

1. Ortus Regni - we played this as a group at GenCon 2015.. 1-1/2 years later, and we still talk about it. Not because we thought it was a great game.. but just the opposite.. we all found the artwork to be dull, the rules confusing, but we still had a blast playing it because we were so busy laughing at how absurd we found the game.

2. Betrayal at House on the Hill - one time my son was being chased around the house by the ghost who wanted to marry him. It was hilarious..

3. Battlestar Galactica - seems like every time we've played this game, we've messed up on distribution of the cylon cards, either we had too many or too few cylons.. But my one friend has been on bad end of it each time. That's hilarious...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
glouie wrote:
the long term discussions are usually about funny events and actions that have occurred.

Agreed - remembering funny stuff that players did, that the game did to us, or how we screwed up the rules, from gameplay long ago are the most enjoyable discussions. Betrayal at House on the Hill is a great one for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had a good but of discussion on games of Imperial Assault. What we did right, what we could have done better, how the Imp player totally murdered us, etc.

Blood Bowl is also a good one for discussing after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most games have there moments but one that seems to trigger banter and fond memories at our house currently is Tiny Epic Kingdoms: Heroes' Call.
Not just because it is new but the hero race combos and those sometimes hilarious new exploration tokens have us chatting long after the game has been packed away.

Also Run, Fight, or Die! will be good again as Halloween approaches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've had many a discussion about Twilight Imperium (Third Edition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.