Subject: $10M in jewelry? WTF? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One of those Kardashian people reportedly got robbed in Paris. Gun-toting bicycle riding thieves supposedly made off with jewelry valued at $10 million dollars. Think about that - $10,000,000, in jewelry. Who has $10M in jewelry and why does some donkey-faced person famous for, uh, marrying a guy or Being Bruce Jenner's step-daughter have that much jewelry?

I suspect she didn't really get robbed, but that her PR team staged it. Call me cynical, if that word applies to a horse-faced big-assed moron whose most notable accomplishment in life was achieving the ownership of $10M is jewelry to be robbed of.

All this got me to thinking about people like those in that truly insulting "We're Hollywood Actors" ad last week. They all smugly tried to claim (with humor ~nudge, nudge ~) that they were just mere Hollywood actors and had no business telling the peasantry who they ought to vote for. Except they pretty much laid it out - vote for Hillary you shitstick because I make fucking movies and am awesome!

I'd bet every one of them has $10M in something useless. Like cars or furs or paintings or in their wine cellar, or their personal jets or hundreds of other things that they selfishly keep for themselves except for the millions upon millions they heap on horrible people like Hillary. Don't get me wrong, I'd be just as critical if they were shoving mounds of cash at Trump or any conservative candidate. The point is - why are we, the collective we, because even those who claim they don't get a sense of satisfaction at their favorite millionaire celeb pushing Hillary, you're lying. You love it because you love her and her pantsuits -- why are we not demanding these celebs do something of actual value to our society with their excess billions? Think about it, I have. If a rap star worth $400M didn't buy his wife a $2M dollar ring and instead started a foundation for kids, education, to cure something, to buy those hard to find ghetto books, to send urban youth to trade schools, to teach them job skills, to save abused dogs, to fund STEP college educations so people could get educated and not owe crushing debt, to create health clinics, free ones, weekly healthy foods markets in these food deserts everyone wails about and on and on.

I did a 12 second Google search and quickly discovered -

* The top 17 richest Hollywood couple have a net worth over $4B.

* The 54 richest black male celebs have a net worth totaling over $9B.

Don't ask me why someone stopped at 17 couples or felt like they needed to include 54 black guys, beats me. That's Google. But the search showed hundreds of Hollywood net worth links and frankly, the billions are staggering. And that's just the actors - I stopped counting after the first 15 or so entries and I was approaching $75B. How about the producers, directors and so forth? There is an astounding amount of celebrity cash, easily a couple hundred billion, being used for stuff like private jets to get sultry blond fuck toys to Leonardo DiCaprio's seemingly monthly climate conferences in posh beach resorts around the world.

As much as I like movies, and I do, and as much as I loath talentless oxygen thieves like the Kardashians - I think these people owe something more than $25,000 a plate homage dinners to Hillary. Robert Downy's awful politics won't keep me from the movies he makes any more than Tom Cruise's adherence to Scientology does. I like movies but frankly, I have no respect for any of these people when they shill for a corrupt person like Hillary while simultaneously not actually using their immense wealth and celebrity capital to do some real good. When a person has a net worth of $400M and crows about giving $1M to charity and it turns out to be the Clinton Foundation rather than trucking in and retailing at wholesale prices farm fresh foods to under-served areas, or rescuing a few hundred dogs, or sending a youth on the edge to welding school - then I consider that celebrity a deplorable.

No, they don't owe. But I'd be a lot more likely to look at a candidate if people whose wealth came from entertainment showed anything even remotely like concern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
whistle It was probably a 'pledge-pin' of some Sorority upon her 'uniform'! Tell us Mr. just WHAT sort of Sorority would 'pledge' a GAL "Like" her?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so confused. I thought if you gave a small portion of the population access to staggeringly more wealth than anyone else, that was a GOOD thing, because however they choose to use it would caus "trickle down" and benefit everyone??

You almost seem to be implying that they'd instead do the same thing everyone else would, and mostly just waste the money on vanity stuff that doesn't help overall economic activity at all?

But that can't be true??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico mcflico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
horse-faced big-assed moron

Your toxic masculinity is stinking up the room again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
spoon wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
horse-faced big-assed moron

Your toxic masculinity is stinking up the room again.

Are you denying she isn't a horse-faced big-assed moron?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
I'm so confused.

I couldn't agree more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about 50/50 on Robbery or insurance fraud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Well, at least the horse is pretty....

Hey, this is what capitalism can and usually does do. The money goes wherever morons want to pay for it and other morons will do something/anything to earn it. Athletes, actors, musicians, politicians, investment brokers -- they really don't produce shit that's worth anything meaningful, but they make tons o'cash prying money away from the suckers. Meanwhile, there are large swaths of rural America without a doctor or a healthcare facility, inner cities schools are seeing budgets shrink to alarming levels, and our bridges are crumbling. Capitalism can indeed bring wealth to many, many more people than any other system, but it is not without its fault.

And yes, Kim Kardashian is a big-assed, ugly horseface who nevertheless got enough morons to pay into her persona (she has no talent or looks it has to be her persona) in order to get rich. I'll bet Robert Kardashian is spinning in his grave like a dynamo right now.

But that is a nice mare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
I just had an epiphany. Tripp is a poor Trump.

Grandiose lies? Check!
Misogyny? Oh for sure!
Loves to call people losers? Are you kidding me?
Likes to get on other men about their masculinity? Only all the time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:

Grandiose lies? Check!
Misogyny? Oh for sure!

So that makes you what? Illiterate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
windsagio wrote:

Grandiose lies? Check!
Misogyny? Oh for sure!

Well, whatever or whoever that guy is I know one thing - he sure hates me. So I must be doing something right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:

You almost seem to be implying that they'd instead do the same thing everyone else would, and mostly just waste the money on vanity stuff that doesn't help overall economic activity at all?

"Waste" is a bit of a judgmental word....perhaps you feel you could have spent that money more better?

The "waste" they bought employed people, had people making yachts and jewelry and all kinds of bling. To those folks getting a paycheck it probably wasn't "waste".

But please, tell us how you'd have spent it with less "waste"....

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
windsagio wrote:

Grandiose lies? Check!
Misogyny? Oh for sure!

Well, whatever or whoever that guy is I know one thing - he sure hates me. So I must be doing something right.

Appears to be some sort of minority butterfly. So I guess he cant actually influence weather patterns because he is too busy tending Clintons garden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
I'm about 50/50 on Robbery or insurance fraud.

I was thinking something happened that she needed to cover up. So not quite insurance fraud, but not quite robbery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:

No, they don't owe. But I'd be a lot more likely to look at a candidate if people whose wealth came from entertainment showed anything even remotely like concern.

There's this video. It has a bunch of celebrities pledging to do a bunch good things, like becoming servants to Obama.

It would be interesting to see how well they accomplished their pledges. Some would be easy to check up on like, Did you drive slower to save gas? Did you buy a hybrid? Did you never flush after a sinker?

Others might be more difficult like, did you integrate into your heart what your head already knows? That we are all in this together? Well, did you integrate? Did you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
XanderF wrote:

"Waste" is a bit of a judgmental word....perhaps you feel you could have spent that money more better?

The "waste" they bought employed people, had people making yachts and jewelry and all kinds of bling. To those folks getting a paycheck it probably wasn't "waste".

But please, tell us how you'd have spent it with less "waste"....

Ferret

Despite my conservative nature and my absolute support of free markets - I still reserve the right to dislike and even loath idiots who could actually make a difference (as most claim they are doing but aren't) by using a portion of their wealth for what I think of as on-the-ground good works. Not donating to a charity or foundation or politician where the money gets washed so many times that a smidgen is what gets shit out to help some poor kid in Moline or Omaha get a free bus pass for his daily trip to community college.

Desiring celebrities to do actual good works isn't political and doesn't make a conservative or liberal look like something different. It just seems that if 20 or 30 people who are entertainers have $10B between them that they could cooperate with each other and use a few billion to actually make lives that aren't as good as their own go a little better.

YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you including atheletes, businesspeople, Trump?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lfisher wrote:

Nope. And why mention Trump and not Hillary? Anyway, I do believe that athletes more than business people are celebrities and whether they acknowledge it or not they owe their collective billions to the support of an adoring fan base who pay stupid sums to watch the sports. So yeah, I'd add them in for sure.

Business people don't succeed or fail based on fan approval or the total of Twitter followers or likes, so they aren't in the mix here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IO find the whole story rather beyond belief.

And yes she is well rough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
lfisher wrote:

Nope. And why mention Trump and not Hillary? Anyway, I do believe that athletes more than business people are celebrities and whether they acknowledge it or not they owe their collective billions to the support of an adoring fan base who pay stupid sums to watch the sports. So yeah, I'd add them in for sure.

Business people don't succeed or fail based on fan approval or the total of Twitter followers or likes, so they aren't in the mix here.

Hillary is broke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Tripp, I'll have to disagree with you on this one. I have never been one to begrudge someone else's success. I hate that malevolent envy that strives to pull the other down. It is a toxic social element of our western society. We must strive to reach our goals and fight to maintain an environment of opportunity, which is what makes America et. al great.

I have no problem with the wealthy spending their money on luxuries that in the end also serves to employ others, often skilled tradesmen. I will however agree with you that I dislike wealth trapped in uselessness, such as precious rocks, that only serves vanity. But, I'm hard pressed to think of more than a few such examples.

If I am to espouse freedom of speech, then that also--more so--means the Holocaust denier must be allowed to say his piece. Likewise, I don't want anyone telling me what I can and can't do (as opposed to ought to) with the fruits of my labour; whether I have to throw my money into the pit of public education or if I can use my money on a school of my choice, for example. Therefore, that must equally apply to the Kardashians and the Michael Jacksons of the world, that they are free to spend their money on Versailles-like gaudiness.

Moreover, I think we have a pretty good set of uber-wealthy. Bill Gates is the single greatest benefactor in the history of Mankind; not this year, the past 100 years, ever! With him are wealthy people who have committed to leave this world with not much more than nothing.

I think what you're really talking about is your distaste for hypocrisy, the Hollywood do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do elite, George Clooney telling us how many migrants we ought to tolerate, while he could put up several whole families in the spare rooms of his mansions and never even have to see them.

[anecdote] My high school in Montreal was fire-bombed by a Palestinian and the library was burned completely. Russell Crowe happened to be in Toronto at the time and read about it in the newspaper. He sent my school $50,000 to help rebuild the library. Whatever Hollywood sniping comes up, Russell Crowe can never do wrong in my book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
isaacc wrote:

I have no problem with the wealthy spending their money on luxuries that in the end also serves to employ others, often skilled tradesmen. I will however agree with you that I dislike wealth trapped in uselessness, such as precious rocks, that only serves vanity. But, I'm hard pressed to think of more than a few such examples.

Why? The jewelry industry employs people just the same as the yacht industry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Ferretman wrote:

Yeah, why try to use that money to solve world hunger when you can employ a $70K / year chef for your yacht.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
red black wrote:
Ferretman wrote:

Yeah, why try to use that money to solve world hunger when you can employ a $70K / year chef for your yacht.

You know, it isn't like these people are just a little rich. They're a lot rich. It's not my place to say how anyone should spend their money - true. But anyone who doesn't see the absurd level of hypocrisy here when you are making $150M per year (K Kardashian) and there is no evidence that any measurable portion is actually being used in anything like a charitable way. Again, nobody owes charity but c'mon.

Look at this -

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/highest-paid-tv-actors-salar...

The salary numbers are staggering. And here we have a media and Left that is screaming at the top of their lungs about how greedy and avaricious "business" is while standing on line with $10,000 checks in their sweaty fists anxiously waiting to be led to a table at a Clinton fundraiser so they can get a photo op with a celebrity Clinton endorser making $100 million a year.

If you make $100M a year then you don't have to forgo a high paid personal chef, or a private jet just to drop a few million into scholarships, food banks or, as in Isaac's Russel Crowe example, to rebuild a school library. Do these people just not do nice things like Crowe? Or are they ignored when they do? I'd have a lot more admiration for them as humans if they not only created some of the charitable efforts I mentioned but if they made a huge public fuss over the fact that they did and asked the other elite rich to climb on board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
DWTripp wrote:
red black wrote:
Ferretman wrote:

You know, it isn't like these people are just a little rich. They're a lot rich. It's not my place to say how anyone should spend their money - true. But anyone who doesn't see the absurd level of hypocrisy here when you are making $150M per year (K Kardashian) and there is no evidence that any measurable portion is actually being used in anything like a charitable way. Again, nobody owes charity but c'mon.

Look at this -

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/highest-paid-tv-actors-salar...

The salary numbers are staggering. And here we have a media and Left that is screaming at the top of their lungs about how greedy and avaricious "business" is while standing on line with $10,000 checks in their sweaty fists anxiously waiting to be led to a table at a Clinton fundraiser so they can get a photo op with a celebrity Clinton endorser making $100 million a year.

If you make $100M a year then you don't have to forgo a high paid personal chef, or a private jet just to drop a few million into scholarships, food banks or, as in Isaac's Russel Crowe example, to rebuild a school library. Do these people just not do nice things like Crowe? Or are they ignored when they do? I'd have a lot more admiration for them as humans if they not only created some of the charitable efforts I mentioned but if they made a huge public fuss over the fact that they did and asked the other elite rich to climb on board.

Exactly as I said earlier, but I included the wealthy business owners. They can toss a million or two at what you mentioned, OR, they could invest in inner city businesses that would employ people and get them off the welfare rolls and onto the IRS rolls.

And btw, nobody here is saying we should tell the Kardashians or anyone else how they can spend their money. But we can criticize lavish lifestyles emanating from non-productive careers that do not contribute to society as a whole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.