Hide
21 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Looking to add an extra action (nerfing the game) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
So, I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, but I think I would like to be able to do a little more exploring and getting around the mansion without getting crushed.

Off the cuff I like the idea of having 3 activations. Totally ruin the game? Just make it super easy? I was considering making it a stipulation that you can't do anything a "third time" such as 3 attacks or 3 moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
youtube.com/neatozen
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
It does make it easier no doubt. But hey it's your game. Play how you like
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For 2 players games, we use 3 actions on the harder scenarios (4+). The game runs smoother, and honestly, it's no less difficult!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is kind of too easy already imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I realy would not advise this for anything more then 2 players. But I can see why you would want to do this with 2 investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
phillipsjr2 wrote:
So, I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, but I think I would like to be able to do a little more exploring and getting around the mansion without getting crushed.

Off the cuff I like the idea of having 3 activations. Totally ruin the game? Just make it super easy? I was considering making it a stipulation that you can't do anything a "third time" such as 3 attacks or 3 moves.

I would say try it. It's a house rule but it's your game so you should play it how you see fit. It's worth the experiment.

It might cut down on the replayability but if that's not a problem then go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul C
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just gave the investigators a few extra clue tokens on the harder scenarios. This seemed to balance out ok. Definitely worth trying any house rules if you're having a hard time.i would just check you are not doing anything that's making the game harder for yourself.we did the first couple of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Perhaps rather than an whole extra action, allow a free one-space move at any point during your activation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FLACK

Lol jk that's a cool idea, have fun with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
As far as I'm concerned 3 actions should have been the default from the get go. After trying 3 actions I will never go back to 2.
Sure the min/maxers and those obsessed that the GOO in all the AH games should have a 95% win rate will cry foul, but those of us that like to explore, properly experience the story and actually have the opportunity to use their special actions will have more fun. With 2 actions the timer of the game is far too aggressive.

So yeah, totally recomend you go with three actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
As far as I'm concerned 3 actions should have been the default from the get go. After trying 3 actions I will never go back to 2.
Sure the min/maxers and those obsessed that the GOO in all the AH games should have a 95% win rate will cry foul, but those of us that like to explore, properly experience the story and actually have the opportunity to use their special actions will have more fun. With 2 actions the timer of the game is far too aggressive.

So yeah, totally recomend you go with three actions.

Frank, having noticed your name (actually your avatar) come up in myriad topics related to miniatures / adventure type games I would have imagined you were a veteran player, not an extra actions craving weakling! Very surprising.

I don't think a scenario should have a 5% success rate (in a true Lovecraftian setting the win rate should be 0% so let's leave that thematic idea alone ) but I don't personally feel like I've gotten much value out of a 'one and done' scenario and all of those below 4 stars have pretty much been this for me to date.

I would say if challenge and replayability is any kind of issue at all then don't take extra actions. The game is easy enough as it is. If they aren't important to you and you want the game to be more of a roleplaying experience and you just want to immerse yourself in the story then sure, take extra actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
I don't find the game too easy, I actually think it is rather difficult.
I suspect a lot of the difference is in play style, we like to explore the mansion and search the majority of tokens. Maybe if I started rushing objectives the game would get easier? But that is not how we like to play.
I prefer to explore the nooks and cranny's.
With 2 actions the whole game becomes an efficiency exercise. With 3 I can experiment a bit and actually afford to lose a few rolls with time to recover.
If that makes me a weakling so be it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
I suspect a lot of the difference is in play style, we like to explore the mansion and search the majority of tokens. Maybe if I started rushing objectives the game would get easier? But that is not how we like to play.
With 2 actions the whole game becomes an efficiency exercise. With 3 I can experiment a bit and actually afford to lose a few rolls with time to recover.

It's great to be able to play like this. I am all for it! It's much more thematic too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anneke Zakoor
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree with you! My friends group that plays this also likes to search nearly everything in the mansion because the story aspect of the game is so interesting and fun(and a big part of the game).

I never thought of adding an extra action(I'm kind of a follow the rules kinda gal), but I like the idea for maybe the first time of playing the game to get the full experience, and then testing yourself the next games by making it harder with just two actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did middle of the road .. .on the tougher ones we have one extra action that we use as a floater then one character can use each round ... doesnt matter who uses it but once its gone its gone for that round!!
Seems to work out pretty good.

I dont think this game is too easy at all ... but like the comments above, i get into the story and explore everything !!!

Now Descent ... thats one that i keep getting destroyed at !! grrrrr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
How about something a little smaller like getting a free half move action (move only one space) per turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Mr Skeletor wrote:

For me, a huge part of the game is figuring out where to go next. You have to follow the clues to win (just like in 1E). If you have time to explore everything then it seems to me that you basically can't lose (other than by some bad dice rolls). And you won't actually have had to make any interesting choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franciscophilus Nakajima
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How about this; players can use their clue tokens to perform additional actions. Only one clue per turn can be used in this way and a clue cannot be used to repeat an action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
I've been wondering about a third action not because the game was too hard but because it was too boring. With a full table this game takes a long time and it doesn't feel like I can get that much done in a turn. I'm wondering if 3 actions would make a turn feel more satisfying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J N
msg tools
I "save up" any movement points from a move action I can't spend. During the next turn, I spend it.
There are so many situations where you just take one step an pick up a clue token... this feels underwhelming. This hurts if you only have two characters and don't get anything done in a whole round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Beesley
Ireland
flag msg tools
Franciscophilus wrote:
How about this; players can use their clue tokens to perform additional actions. Only one clue per turn can be used in this way and a clue cannot be used to repeat an action.

I think this a superb idea that we may try in our family game night tonight. Sooner or later I want to at least beat the first scenario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.