Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mb
I was really looking forward to this game and was led to believe there'd be 2-player support.

While it's likely to be a game I can squeeze in during lunchtime sessions, I would have still liked an option to play with just my partner.

Doh!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was it the listing of "3-5 players" on the BGG page that led you astray?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
probably not, it was more of the fact that we (CGE) have been trying to get it to work and have tried a few things but were never happy with it. I know people that played it 2 player and they had fun, but it lost a lot of what makes the game great as you only have one target and the way the scoring works doesn't lend itself to 1 on 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mb
DaviddesJ wrote:

No, it was casual conversations at the UKGE that lead me astray. The "3-5 players" on the BGG page brought me back in line.

PaulGrogan wrote:
probably not, it was more of the fact that we (CGE) have been trying to get it to work and have tried a few things but were never happy with it. I know people that played it 2 player and they had fun, but it lost a lot of what makes the game great as you only have one target and the way the scoring works doesn't lend itself to 1 on 1.

Exactly. To be honest, I can see how it doesn't work quite as well. Death-match style games back in my days of PC gaming where never as fun when just 1-on-1. However, team-base modes... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think games such as quake are great 1on1 but I can understand it not working in this game because it would be an area majority game where both players only put markers in one area. It is not surprising that it loses a lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Johnson
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think a problem you may run into in any FPS style game would be stall tactics. I'm toying with my own idea that's a hex-style combat game and with two players, one person can play keep away. In three players if someone tries that they are going to get cornered and dissected.

A possibility you could look at is like with games like Get Bit! Is you could play two player if you both played with two characters each as a team and alternated them in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
There's a theory: if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There's another theory: this has already happened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul, you were talking about the possibility of official bots for the game in some videos I saw (EDIT: specifically interviews you gave at GenCon 2016). Is that off the table, now?

If so, here's to the BGG community standing strong and making their own bots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J. Mortimer
United Kingdom
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My instant thought is can't you play with 2 each? I don't know the game well enough to be certain but I'll rectify that at Essen!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
There's a theory: if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There's another theory: this has already happened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Still, it will be area control of two competing factions in two disjoint areas, as Muemmelmann said. Like: it's a race, not a competition for dominance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cook
United States
Spanaway
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PiHalbe wrote:
Paul, you were talking about the possibility of official bots for the game in some videos I saw (EDIT: specifically interviews you gave at GenCon 2016). Is that off the table, now?

If so, here's to the BGG community standing strong and making their own bots.

Paul commented in one of the previews (4th I believe) that said they weren't able to get it to the level of their satisfaction, so it still is officially at 3-5 player game.

That said here is my cut and paste comment on the matter:

Quote:

There has got to be a way to house rule or variant with bots. I know that there are variants like RedJak's for Star Wars: Imperial Assault that introduce priority targets and a decision tree printed on a card for each imperial character. You could easily make a few decision trees so you could even play 5 players regardless of how many humans, and each card could have a different priority. One could always fire on anyone within range if it has ammo, one can prioritize those near death, one can prioritize bonus cards and weapons early on and then when full focus on doing maximum damage to individuals or....

I think it can happen, and I am pretty sure someone will make it happen. I sure hope so, because I play 2 or 1 player games 75% of the time, and I really wanna play this game.

Upon thinking more, I think that you could even have a small deck of AI cards (5 or so), shuffle them, and turn one over for each bot turn so that you don't have a way to 100% anticipate the decision tree of the AI. I absolutely think it could work.
I have never made a variant before and know that there are many on this site more capable than me. I certainly hope someone does it, but even if no one else does I will probably still get the game and try my hand at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sponkey21 wrote:
I have never made a variant before and know that there are many on this site more capable than me. I certainly hope someone does it, but even if no one else does I will probably still get the game and try my hand at it.

If I get the game (50€ …), I'll be up for thinking / discussion / testing about bots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Agner Holm
Denmark
Aarhus C
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yea me to. It should be doable making a 2 players /2 bots scenario with some simple AI rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Agner wrote:
yea me to. It should be doable making a 2 players /2 bots scenario with some simple AI rules
We tested a number of AI rules, including automated actions, decks of cards. a lot of ideas, but each had its problems. Maybe we missed the perfect solution, who knows. But then at the end of the day, a decision had to be made to include them or not. And I dont agree with including rules with the "we dont really like these, but they are the best we have". I'm sure there will be many variants posted on here, some of them very similar no doubt to the idea we tried - which... didn't completely fail, some of them I thought were ok. But CGE (quite rightly) are not happy with "just ok"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Depoorter
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
What if you would introduce a mercenary? You can get him to work for you by intimidating him with attacks. Mercenary works for whoever has the most drops. You could exchange weapons, add ammo to his pool when on the same space, and let him do the normal moves for you. You get to place a drop of your color if it attacks opponent. Only have to figure out what a mercenary kill would give as points (penalties)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.