Subject: First time playing Qwirkle, are we playing it wrong? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nadine Grech
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.

I bought Qwirkle to play it with mom and occasionally with dad (who loves Dominoes) whenever he feels up to it. I've never seen it being played but I heard a lot about it and so I bought it. I heard that it's a lot like Dominoes and Scrabble (this one I have never played despite hearing a lot about it).

During the game, me and mom began feeling unsure about whether we're playing it right at all. I have taken pictures to show you, can you help show me what we are doing wrong? Are there some hidden rules in Qwirkle that are not in the rule book? Because, in the rule book it's not clear about what we should and should not do.

Few of the questions are:

1. Do you stop putting tiles on a line of four tiles with the same shape but different colors because its last red one has been used to create another line by putting tiles that has the red color but different shapes?

Can one put a tile or tiles in the middle of a line to create another line or it must be at the start or the end of the line?

3. If there are two straight separate lines that has been built on and are both of the same color, can you connect them later on (as long as there are no duplicates)?

4. If there are two different lines that touch each other, they have to be of the same color or shape? If do they do not touch, they can be of any color or shape, is that right?

I can see it's a very simple game but I'm honestly a bit confused. I would really appreciate your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With apologies, I'm having difficulty understanding your questions, but the photos you've posted look fine to me - I can't immediately see anything wrong with the placing, and you must have understood the rules to end up with such a layout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
nadigames93 wrote:

1. Do you stop putting tiles on a line of four tiles with the same shape but different colors because its last red one has been used to create another line by putting tiles that has the red color but different shapes?

Can one put a tile or tiles in the middle of a line to create another line or it must be at the start or the end of the line?

3. If there are two straight separate lines that has been built on and are both of the same color, can you connect them later on (as long as there are no duplicates)?

4. If there are two different lines that touch each other, they have to be of the same color or shape? If do they do not touch, they can be of any color or shape, is that right?

1. If you are referring to the upper-left corner of your picture, attaching a blue and/or purple diamond to the end of this row is legal. Your wording is unclear, so I'm not certain what your particular misunderstanding is.

2. You cannot shift tiles already placed on the table so that you can insert additional tiles into a line. They can be connected at the start or end, but also at the top or bottom of any of the blocks in the line (following all placement rules of course).

3. As long as the block you are placing to connect the two smaller lines does not break any placement rules, yes this is legal.

4. It depends on where the lines are touching. Same colour/same shape is the overall restriction when it comes to any block played.

I can't see any illegal placements in your pictures, so whatever rules you followed it appears you followed them correctly. But I would suggest you watch a video on the game being played to ensure your comprehension of the rules. The way you have worded your questions leads me to believe that you are overthinking the rules.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Gaudreau
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No.

2. You can.

3. You can.

4. Correct.

Likewise I can't see anything obviously wrong in your pics, but I didn't make them bigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine Grech
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry you found my questions hard to understand, English is not my first language so I must have not explained clearly. Thank you for trying to help me while trying to understand me !

1. I was referring to:

I thought if the blue line is already connected to other lines and the grid has spread since then, I couldn't continue building on it. In the end I didn't do that move because I wasn't sure I could. I thought I could only build on that line when it has just been created and is still in the wide open. I guess you are right, Crazy Adam, I must be overthinking the rules shake!

2. I was referring to:

It looked out of place, I don't know haha. I guess I kept thinking of Dominoes, in which you can only build at the start or at the end. This doesn't seem to be the case with Qwirkle, right?

3. I was referring to:

See the two straight separate yellow lines. If there wasn't the duplicate yellow star tile, I imagined I could connect the two lines together right? I also thought not to do it due to the first question.

4. I was referring to:

My mom wanted to place the green square tile to score a Qwirkle and seeing as it was touching a different shape tile, I told her that I think it's wrong. Was I correct to tell her so? If they were separated by one space, I imagine you can?

She also wanted to do this and I told her that she can't but I was wondering... could she have put the last three square tiles on the left side where there was space instead on right side where they would clash with the incompatible tiles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Gaudreau
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Right, without any duplicates you can make that move.

2. That's definitely fine to do!

3. You can, but in your pic it would have to be a yellow square, to match the green one (so, no duplicate square in this case).

4a. You were right to tell her no. If there was a space between the purple and green, then yes.

4b. You are again correct - the left side is legal, but not the right side.

I think you got this! And, you're English is very good :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
I have a hard time reading rules and slowing down, so I find watching people play makes me realize rules. Watching others play sometimes makes you realize they had the rules wrong to, nonetheless, TableTop did an episode that you can see other people play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp3IwPbZYSE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nadigames93 wrote:

She also wanted to do this and I told her that she can't but I was wondering... could she have put the last three square tiles on the left side where there was space instead on right side where they would clash with the incompatible tiles?

Previous to the last three square tiles, the blue clover and red diamond have been illegaly placed together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure, but I think the three diamonds were the most recently placed tiles, as diamonds as printed on these tiles could also be described as squares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
I'm not sure, but I think the three diamonds were the most recently placed tiles, as diamonds as printed on these tiles could also be described as squares.

Ah yes I see it now. My brain was telling me that the "last three squares" were the purple, yellow and orange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.