GMT COIN Series» Forums » General

Subject: Way to play COIN games 2-player suggested by Brian Train rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ejnro F
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just wanted to draw peoples attention to an interview on the Players Aid with Brian Train. Talking about Colonial Twilight and the changes that has been done to the initiative track to make it better suited for two players he says:

Quote:

It’s also struck me recently that any of the four-faction COIN system games could be played by two people taking any two factions each, using this sequence of play. Unfortunately, I have not had time to try it myself yet, but it seems as if it might work – so any readers out there are invited to try it out for themselves!

Here’s the idea, using A Distant Plain as an example:

Players take 2 Factions each, with normal 1st and 2nd Eligibility determined by what they do on the Initiative Track; but which Faction they control that gets to do something is determined by the leftmost faction order on the Event Card drawn. So, let’s say Albert is playing Coalition and Government, and Bill is playing Taliban and Warlords. The card drawn is “Operation Iraqi Freedom”, which has a faction order of Taliban – Coalition – Government – Warlords. According to the Initiative Track at that moment, Albert is 1st Eligible and can pick any space on it, but the action will be done by the Coalition (as it is leftmost in the faction order on the card). Bill is 2nd Eligible, so the choice of space is determined by what Albert did, and the action will be done by the Taliban (leftmost of his two factions in the faction order on the card). Be sure to use the No Reveal Option as detailed in 2.2; looking one card ahead in the 2-player iteration ruins the game. And for victory conditions, they are unchanged: use directions in 1.5.

So, if anyone tries this, please let us know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the blog post where I originally wrote about this variant:

https://brtrain.wordpress.com/2016/05/13/spielenexperiment-t...

Harold Buchanan was also recently interviewed on The Player's Aid and he mentions that he is working on a Southern campaign scenario for Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection, that incorporates this mechanic.
It will be in a future issue of C3i magazine.

https://theplayersaid.com/2016/09/26/interview-with-harold-b...

I'd be interested in anyone's experiences - it was an idea that just came to me, but I haven't had time to try it myself as I am still busy finishing off Colonial Twilight: The French-Algerian War, 1954-62!

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.