Subject: Sampler Packs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Patterson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I floated this in a separate thread discussing the 2nd edition release and Upgrade Packs, but I wanted to start a new discussion on the same point.

Now that we've crossed the bridge of an Update Pack (which I'm excited about, by the way), could we look forward to a Sampler Pack that provides new cards that revisit under-utilized mechanics from various expansions? Here's what I have in mind, and why it could be great for the game and great marketing.

I own Base, Intrigue, Seaside, Cornucopia, Guilds, Adventures and Empires. I also have the base cards, which means I have a stack of unusable Potion cards. Since I don't have Prosperity, I can't "technically" use Platinum and Colonies either, although we occasionally do just for fun. I would jump all over a pack that included some cards that use Potions, some high cost Prosperity-like cards, and some cards that use other things from the expansions I don't have. I'd also like to see another set of Travelers from Adventures, maybe another split stack like in Empires, more cards that give coins (Guilds), and whatever would be cool from Hinterlands or Dark Ages.

So Sampler Packs would not only introduce new cards that could breathe some new life into older expansions, they could also serve as incentives for players to grab those older expansions. And it would finally give me something to do with those Potion cards.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm down with that. At this point, I own (or intend to own) every dominion card. My update packs have been ordered but won't ship until Nov when a pre-release item in the order is released (sigh, a tough call -- but ultimately saves me on shipping). The latest promo will be mine as well -- as soon as it hits the BGG store.

If I recall correctly, Donald X. explained somewhere his thinking (or maybe RGG's thinking) as to why this probably wouldn't happen. But I could be mis-remembering, so don't let me put any words in mouths where they don't belong.

I don't have any thoughts at this point that I won't keep buying whatever comes out. So if they do put them out, I'll probably gladly get them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pattersonclan wrote:
Now that we've crossed the bridge of an Update Pack (which I'm excited about, by the way), could we look forward to a Sampler Pack that provides new cards that revisit under-utilized mechanics from various expansions?

The two concepts are fundamentally different - one is targeted at owners of one game/expansion, the other is for people who own multiple expansions.

Quote:
I would jump all over a pack that included some cards that use Potions

Um ... I think that would be called the Alchemy expansion.

Quote:
So Sampler Packs would not only introduce new cards that could breathe some new life into older expansions, they could also serve as incentives for players to grab those older expansions.

Except that you already have a pack that really needs these expansions but haven't bought them - so if you haven't been incentivised to buy them to make use of your Potions and Platinum / Colonies then what evidence is there that such a sampler pack would do so?

Quote:
If I recall correctly, Donald X. explained somewhere his thinking (or maybe RGG's thinking) as to why this probably wouldn't happen.

I think there are a number of factors - the cost / need to include Potions etc for those who don't have the relevant expansions; mechanisms that don't need specific stuff can be reused in new expansions anyway; large expansions sell better than small ones; the need to balance different card types (proportion of villages etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.