Mike Hutton
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1862 4-player Tringcon 1/10/2016

The game started with the traditional whinging at how poor the starting companies were. This time it was with some justification, as only one of the big 4 was available at the start, and the N&E was only running local trains. Richard took this and paired it with the NGC, with Tom taking the Y&N(Express) and W&F(local), and Steve the I&B and later a non-chartered L&E. I was fortunate to get the L&H with a freight permit, and got lumbered with the N&B(local).

We played the long game, and it showed. None of us needed emergency restructuring, and when we got back down to 4 companies before the permanent trains came out our share prices were all 191 and above.
Tom and I had a little difficulty getting to London from our bases on the coast, but did so via the EUR and ESR respectively. Tom overstretched his company, trying to get too far up the east coast for the end-game trains he got, and slipped up with not enough warranties. Richard had a few early difficulties trying to get capital out of the N&E and didn’t quite pull off a bold double-D train strategy. Steve started strong, and leeched on the cash-cow L&H early, only to find it withholding revenue so I could get shares into the company – all my companies were chartered, so it was the only way I could get the assets into the company for the end-game. In the end I managed an unlikely triple N-SE-SW route and squeezed a third train into the company just as the H trains came out. It was the only 3-train company at the end, and this was just enough to sneak past Steve.

Final company revenues per round/share price:

I&B (Steve) 91/700
N&B (Richard, relaunched after Mike started) 81/655
ESR (Mike) 135/800
EUR (Tom) 86/530
NGC (Richard) 85/310

Final scores (as usual with less than a share’s worth between the first 3 places):

Tom 10069
Steve 12608
Mike 13137
Richard 11878

Sorry – no pictures this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Berry
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which are the "big four" companies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutton
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
N&E, ECR, EUR, ESR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Hutton wrote:
N&E, ECR, EUR, ESR.

London adjacent than.

Where to you put SVR and FDR compared to these four?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutton
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Leifr wrote:
Mike Hutton wrote:
N&E, ECR, EUR, ESR.

London adjacent than.

Where to you put SVR and FDR compared to these four?

Well, each company varies depending on the train permits they have. The advantage of the "big four" is that they have relatively easy access to London, and the N&E and ECR are often gateways for other companies. All four are pretty strong regardless of the permit they start with, with the possible exception of the N&E/ECR with local. But these two are adjacent to London, and are attractive companies to merge with other Freight/Express companies having secured a route to London.

The SVR and NGC are the next stage on, but are easily blocked from London, and are less useful with Freight from the start. The NGC is good with Express, and the SVR with Express or Local, The FDR is not really a starting company most of the time. I wouldn't start it as the foundation of my strategy with anything other than a freight permit, and only then if two of the ECR/EUR/ESR is out of the game, giving the FDR a relatively clear run to London. In reality I would tend to start other companies before using these, provided they have helpful permits. E.g. any of the north Norfolk companies with Freight, or the N&B/WVR/I&B/E&H with Local.

This is also affected by which companies are excluded from the game. In the game above a major factor in my success was the fact that ECR/EUR/ESR were unavailable until the C trains came out, and this gave me time to build from Lynn tbrough Brandon and then down to Ipswich and then to London. Had they been unavailable I would have needed to take a more direct route to London. If they'd been available at the start I would likely have taken one of those in preference to the N&B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.