Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At our local weekend Con, Sandnes, Norway.

I set up the game as bait. Only map and the four bagged wooden units. Looks simple and tempting. I added a large sign: "Players Wanted."

After a few hours we were 4 players ready to go. One got all the COIN series, but never played.

Never played a full game myself, but I know the rules very well. Only 10 pages of rules.

With the clean board, I show the guys how to play to score, and victory conditions, then how the cards works. Finally we set up the game, ready to play.

More or less by seat placement, we picked our factions. I got the Government, and other picked guerrillas and narco cartels.

The Government need support from heavy populated areas to win.
FARC is a communist guerrilla that also need population support to win
UAC guerrilla - para military forces need to beat FARC to win.
Cartels need a lot of money (resources) to win.

All the guys need to know in the first turns are Rally to get units on the map and Extort to gain resources. We decided to flip only one card open, but after a while we used the standard 2 card face up rule.

Early in the game, I picked events that was to good to miss. The other gain a steady pace toward winning conditions.

FARC was first to reach winning condition. Sitting on the edge of the chair we all waiting for the long due first propaganda card. We all fight the FARC, and was able to set them back. But now UAC was close to win.

Not a threat, but I picked an event (General something...) that killed all the guerrillas belonging to the cartels. One faction less to worry about.

First propaganda - UAC close to win.

Fight going on. FARC low on resources and had to pass to gain some. But later picked an event to gain a lot more.

I advised Cartel player to consider shipment when he expected next propaganda. He was lagging way behind.

Time for me to be offensive, and not defending.I positioned my units for a major push in support. And it hit hard! Way off scale to win on next propaganda. Smiling and relaxed I waited for the next propaganda card - any moment now as the deck was half depleted.

Panic among other players. How to stop government support? They quickly found the Terror operations. And terror hit Colombia!

Lot of terror cells hiding. Unfortunately it is not allowed to Air Strike cities. It takes time to flush them out.

Terror hit the capital Bogota, at the moment of next propaganda showed up. I could not believe it. Missed victory by one point!!!

Now the Cartels got a lot of money. Winning conditions very close for him, and difficult to stop him. FARC down fighting me with terror. I am out the game with very few resources left. Pipelines hit with oil spill and sabotage, no money left to lift the country up again. It takes a lot to remove terror and gain support.

Only Cartels and UAC may win the game now. Both reach their goal. No doubt the game will end at third propaganda card.

3. propaganda card flipped up. A close race between Cartel and UAC. We had to check Playbook for tie rules.

Cartel won by one base!!!! What a comeback from the early disaster...

Next 10 minutes we all getting the adrenaline out by pointing and talking about - "But if...." "I could..."

We all loved this 5 hour of exciting play. Thumbs up from all of us when leaving the table.

One of the best ever game experience for me. And I have played hundreds or thousand games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Long
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Must get this on the table again soon. The COIN series is just full of great moments and even the oldest of the group can put on a good show.

Mixed feelings about the recent vote by the Colombian people to keep going until the next propaganda card. Let's hope the peace deal holds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Derek Long wrote:
Must get this on the table again soon. The COIN series is just full of great moments and even the oldest of the group can put on a good show.

Mixed feelings about the recent vote by the Colombian people to keep going until the next propaganda card. Let's hope the peace deal holds.

Agree.

Norway was one of the architects behind the peace talk.
No doubt we gave FARC too much legit as a part. Many Colombians think the leaders should prosecuted for crime. A reason for the no vote.

Even if the vote would end with a yes, there is still a large group of no people that will disagree, and they still seek revenge and justice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.