$30.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Legends of Andor» Forums » Strategy

Subject: L3 The Enchanted Gor: Am I getting this right??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Haven't played this one yet, but it seems to me that the only winning strategy against the Enchanted Gor in L3 is for one low-strength hero to fight this boss alone (since his Strength Points will be double that of the hero(es) combatting him).

But man, this seems like quite the challenge! The normal evolution of any game of Andor, it seems to me, is that heroes attempt to level up (their Strength, their Willpower/dice pool) as quickly as possible to be able to defeat Trolls and Wardraks, and the final boss and such.

But in L3, once the heroes have fulfilled their individual fate card missions, probably around mid-game by which time they will have normally leveled-up, what are the all-mighty heroes to do if the Enchanted Gor Dark Mage card has been drawn? OMG!!!

Is the following, apparently weird-counter intuitive strategy the only way to go? :

- one designated hero, such as the Warrior, has to spend all his Willpower Points in overtime to bring himself/herself down to a low Willpower value.

- then, the poor Warrior has to pick a couple of fights with some weakling Creatures, say some stray Gors, to purposefully loose and thereby bring his Strength Points down to a minimum.shake

- then, the Warrior has to make it quick to a couple of wells and boost his Willpower back up again, to max out on his dice-pool

- then, he/she has to equip himself/herself with several potions and/or herbs for extra strength (and preferably already have a Helm and/or Shield)

- finally, our valiant Warrior will be ready to face the Uber Gor and hope to have a chance of winning...

Am I getting this right? Wouldn't this be the only viable strategy?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's use the example on the card. 4 heroes, strength of 17. Gor is therefore a 34.

Let's say he rolls a 6. (He could roll higher, with doubles or triples, but choosing an average.) And he has a will power of 7, which needs to be beaten in one round. So, the target number for the heroes is 47.

Heroes strength is 17. They get 4 dice rolls, and depending on the number of dice they have, I'd say they could average rolling a 5 each. That brings the heroes to 37. So, the heroes need 10 strength points worth of potions, helmets, herbs, runestone rolls, and possibly Prince Thorald.

Very doable. Plus, any strength below the example of 17 is basically a 1 strength gain on the Gor. So, that 10 is reduced.

So, no, your strategy is not the only viable one. In fact, I don't think it actually is viable.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for your reply. Will give this some thought, but careful, if the heroes use Prince Thorald, wouldn't his +4 Strength be included when computing the Strength of the Enchanted Gor?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, leave the Prince out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, how powered up are your heroes getting? You talk about getting strong enough to fight trolls and wardraks. We usually let trolls and wardraks in the castle (as long as there's room!).

Beyond that, remember that much of your battle value is gained outside of strength points. So I would send your lowest strength hero or two (don't worry about de-powering them) and arm them with either the rune stones or witch's brew + healing herbs + helmet. If I remember right, that gor only has 6 willpower and 2 dice, so don't get too freaked out by the "double strength" thing.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmb

Seems like sound advice, thanks chopkins828!

chopkins828 wrote:
If I remember right, that gor only has 6 willpower and 2 dice, so don't get too freaked out by the "double strength" thing.


OK, will try not to freak out... cool
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmb
boomtron wrote:
Let's use the example on the card. 4 heroes, strength of 17. Gor is therefore a 34.

Let's say he rolls a 6. (He could roll higher, with doubles or triples, but choosing an average.) And he has a will power of 7, which needs to be beaten in one round. So, the target number for the heroes is 47.

Heroes strength is 17. They get 4 dice rolls, and depending on the number of dice they have, I'd say they could average rolling a 5 each. That brings the heroes to 37. So, the heroes need 10 strength points worth of potions, helmets, herbs, runestone rolls, and possibly Prince Thorald.

Very doable. Plus, any strength below the example of 17 is basically a 1 strength gain on the Gor. So, that 10 is reduced.

So, no, your strategy is not the only viable one. In fact, I don't think it actually is viable.



If we agree that it's best not to use the Prince, then the heroes' combined strength in the example on the card would be 13

In your example, you conceive of 4 heroes fighting the Gor in a team battle. That would work out to Strength Points of, say, 3 - 3 - 3 - 4
That seems like unusually low Strengths for heroes to have by mid-game.

So the Gor would have a Strength of 26. With 3 red dice, and taking 9 as an average (rather than 6), the target combined combat value of the heroes would have to be 42 to slay the gor in a single blow.

Would that be doable? I suppose so, if the heroes are adequately stocked up on potions and herbs, and equipped with runestones and a helm.

I think it's probably more realistic to imagine 1 or 2 heroes with somewhat higher Strengths fighting the gor in an advanced stage of the Legend

But yes, in light of your comments, the extreme powering-down strategy I imagined seems ill-advised and wasteful of time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmb
chopkins828 wrote:
First, how powered up are your heroes getting? You talk about getting strong enough to fight trolls and wardraks. We usually let trolls and wardraks in the castle (as long as there's room!).


In our last play of L3 (a 2-player game), in which we drew the Gran-Troll Dark Mage card, my Warrior had a Strength of 6 or 7, and my fellow Wizard had a 4.
I like to gang up on and fight the odd Skrall and Troll, rather than the gors because you will win 2 times or 3 times as much loot for 1 advancement on the Legend track!

chopkins828 wrote:
Beyond that, remember that much of your battle value is gained outside of strength points. So I would send your lowest strength hero or two (don't worry about de-powering them) and arm them with either the rune stones or witch's brew + healing herbs + helmet.


That's sound advice!

chopkins828 wrote:
If I remember right, that gor only has 6 willpower and 2 dice


That's actually 7 willpower and 3 red dice, not quite the same! devil
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmb
We normally only buy strength for the dwarf, at least in games where I (who plays the dwarf) can make it to the mine. It normally makes no difference in team fight, whether all are leveled up equally, or strength comes just from the dwarf, who gets it cheaper. In this particular session, when we encountered the empowered gor, I off course had to stand back from fighting him, but the 3 other heroes, who were low on strength could fight him in team, and he was not much of a thread for them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Susumu wrote:
It normally makes no difference in team fight, whether all are leveled up equally, or strength comes just from the dwarf, who gets it cheaper


Excellent point! : mathematically it makes no difference, as you say, and it is optimal for the dwarf to buy lots of Strength cheaper at the Mines (his special power) It is also nicely thematic (Dwarf = the super fighter!)

Susumu wrote:
In this particular session, when we encountered the empowered gor, I off course had to stand back from fighting him, but the 3 other heroes, who were low on strength could fight him in team, and he was not much of a thread for them.


Yes, that seems like a perfectly realistic game situation (1 especially strong hero, and others with lower strengths). As stated above, my radical powering down idea hardly seems necessary.

I'm looking forward to trying out L3 with the Enchanted Gor this week-end. I will keep all of your good comments in mind!

Thanks Susumu!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.