Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you rather play the best game in the universe with the worst company or the worst game in the universe with the best company? In other words, what's more important to your enjoyment: the game that you're playing or the people you're playing with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly worst game in the world with the best company. A good game does not a good experience make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Comfort
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I think that the worst company would ruin the best game, but that the worst game wouldn't ruin the best company.

But, luckily, I can get the best of both worlds on a regular basis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ed95005 wrote:
Would you rather play the best game in the universe with the worst company or the worst game in the universe with the best company? In other words, what's more important to your enjoyment: the game that you're playing or the people you're playing with?

There are limiting exceptions at both ends of the scale that invert the values, No company is good enough to make the worst game tolerable and no game is quite bad enough to utterly devalue the best company. However in general I'll trade quality of company away in preference for a better game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely worst game with best company. If the game's bad enough, it'll turn into the gaming version of Mystery Science Theater 3000.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Comfort
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JC wrote:
However in general I'll trade quality of company away in preference for a better game.

You know, I love JC's posts, and I basically read everything he writes on the Geek, and yet it gives me a warm happy feeling whenever I completely disagree with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
ed95005 wrote:

Best company, no question. Gaming is a social experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
| Scott Kinzie |
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lightnng wrote:
Best company, no question. Gaming is a social experience.

I completely agree. Gaming is all about the social aspect. Playing the game with fun, good people is the real goal... it doesn't have to be a great game and you do NOT have to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'd rather not have anything at all to do with either the worst company in the universe OR the worst game in the universe. With that said, I might stop by briefly just to check out what the heck this greatest game in the universe actually looks like...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Based on my experience playing Celtica, good company can make all the difference.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
Taken to the extreme any situation becomes ridiculous. The worst company would be people that want you dead, no? Being anywhere near such people is a bad idea. The worst game, in the universe, would also be a game that if played, would kill you, or at least make you want to die. Again, bad idea...

But I do see what you're getting at.

Often I submit myself to certain unpleasant individuals simply for the opportunity to play some games. On the other hand I often play some stinkers in order to spend time with interesting people. Which situation is preferable? If a game shines really brightly it can sometimes blind me to the winkies sharing the table, and if the game's stink is powerful enough it can sometimes cause such bad gag reflexes that no meaningful social interaction is possible. But there is definitely a sliding scale in both situations. Given that a single dork at a table can easily ruin a gem of a game, while on the other hand, joking about how bad a game is with happy shiny people can in it's own right be fun, I'd have to say, ultimately, it comes down to the company you keep... cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico with:
Hitler
Caine
Osama Bin Laden
Chairman Mao
Joseph Stalin

OR

Monopoly with:
Mother Teresa
Benjamin Franklin
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Leonardo da Vinci
Socrates

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think so, Brain, but aren't the pink camels supposed to be chasing the pirates?

I'll take the good company. After we laugh (and cry) over the worst game, we all agree to find something rated at least a 3.14 at BGG and have a grand time thereafter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.D.W
United States
San Angelo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll go with the best company. People can make or break just about any game, a good group can turn a terrible game into a darn good time. A bad group can turn a good game into a living nightmare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
heinrichsteven wrote:
Puerto Rico with:
Hitler
Caine
Osama Bin Laden
Chairman Mao
Joseph Stalin

OR

Monopoly with:
Mother Teresa
Benjamin Franklin
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Leonardo da Vinci
Socrates

Let's be honest. Monopoly is a really bad game, but it's not the worst game ever. At least it's playable, which can't be said about a lot of games. Global Survival, for example, wishes it were nearly as good as Monopoly. Given the choice you've presented me with, I would consider the latter to be quite an honor. I would have to be suicidal to choose the former; I don't even know which one of those scoundrels would murder me first, were I to be in the same room as them!

EDIT: Good Pinky and the Brain quote, by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Peterson
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glsonn wrote:
I think so, Brain, but aren't the pink camels supposed to be chasing the pirates?

Pshew! I thought I was going to have to come up with this response. Mine probably wouldn't have been as good, it's too late.

Anyway, best company... unless we're saying that the worst game is Russian Roulette, then perhaps I'd rather have the worst people playing with me.

-JEEP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang, I wish I had thought of that...it would have made my list funny...

Russian Roulette with (a semi-automatic noless..:
Hitler
Caine
Osama Bin Laden
Chairman Mao
Joseph Stalin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
heinrichsteven wrote:
Puerto Rico with:
Hitler
Caine
Osama Bin Laden
Chairman Mao
Joseph Stalin

Heh, that could be pretty interesting, actually.

But, like most I'd go for worst game & best company. We'd probably drop the game though, and go for a beer instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Onstad
United States
Donald
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably not Brain. But...after reading the question, reading the responses thus far, and reading the question again. I would have to request not to play. I mean, best game, worst company. Worst game, best company. I prefer the game to match the company. Or otherwise I play for the experience. I play Cosmic Wimpoutevery Friday night with co-workers. And enjoy it. I play Munchkin (and various sundry expansions/versions/blenders) with my teenage daughter and her friends. and enjoy them. I played The Princes of Florence with a couple of serious gamers, and enjoyed it immensly. (lost horribly, but enjoyed it.) I would love to play Die macher with Anybody (who owns it for one, but more importantly) who is intersted in playing it.

What I am trying to say is I cannot seperate the two. I would rather tailor the game to the people. I play for the experience. Playing a great game with horrible people would not be fun. Playing a horrible game with great people...still would not be fun. No matter how good the company is, how could I have fun knowing my guests were miserable? I am sorry, both are inadequate. I play for the experience, and the experience is best when the game matches the players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heinrichsteven wrote:
Puerto Rico with:
Hitler
Caine
Osama Bin Laden
Chairman Mao
Joseph Stalin

Puerto Rico doesn't support 6 players.

And in answer to the question - I'd think the people who hate me would probably not talk very much - so I think I would choose to play the best game with the worst company. No one can make Settlers of Catan an enjoyable experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
    Worst company for gaming:

1. Jesse James
2. Pol Pot
3. John Dillinger
4. Al Capone
5. Adolf Eichmann

Best game to play with them -- Ca$h 'n Gun$

I'd at least want to watch. From a reasonable distance.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Worst company for gaming:

1. Jesse James
2. Pol Pot
3. John Dillinger
4. Al Capone
5. Adolf Eichmann

Puerto Rico with:
Hitler
Caine
Osama Bin Laden
Chairman Mao
Joseph Stalin

Yeah these guys would not be fun to play games with, I agree. BUT, here's a group you REALLY wouldn't want to play with:

1. Jeffrey Dahmer
2. Charles Manson
3. Dennis Rader
4. Henry Lee Lucas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
OldestManOnMySpace wrote:
heinrichsteven wrote:
Puerto Rico with:
Hitler
Caine
Osama Bin Laden
Chairman Mao
Joseph Stalin

Puerto Rico doesn't support 6 players.

Heh, you funny. You go to Siberia now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
tcomfort wrote:
JC wrote:
However in general I'll trade quality of company away in preference for a better game.

You know, I love JC's posts, and I basically read everything he writes on the Geek, and yet it gives me a warm happy feeling whenever I completely disagree with him.

HAHA... I did the same thing, I read the question and immediately looked for JC's response, and it was dead on! Predictable to the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
HAHA... I did the same thing, I read the question and immediately looked for JC's response, and it was dead on! Predictable to the end.

Yep, me too. Are we even sure he isn't a computer programm? (On the other hand, my computer tends to be less predictable than JC.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.