Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just thinking about games last night, and realized that I can't name a single game in my collection designed by a female. And I found that strange, seeing as I have a fairly decent sized collection. So I thought this would be a good place to ask, because this is driving me crazy not being able to think of any. What popular games were designed by females? Who are the top female designers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting...
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikki Valens is responsible for much of FFG's current Cthulhu products, including the recently released Mansions of Madness: Second Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Susan McKinley Ross - Qwirkle series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Women Game Designers

Games with Female Designers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fritz
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carla Horger worked with her husband to design Thunder Alley and Grand Prix. Pretty fun games.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/52237/carla-horg...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Favourite Game Designers Who Aren't Men?
Women game designers and artists
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides Qwirkle, I also have in my collection Mall World from Andrea Meyer and Inka Brand co-designed A Castle for All Seasons and Saint Malo

Anne Marie DeWitt also did Munchkin Panic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monarch was designed by a woman and the art is also by a woman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More links:

The Board Games Women Make on MetaFilter.com

We Asked, Who Are Your Favorite Female Designers? Twitter Answered! on Gameosity.com

On Man OverBoard, Paul Owen's boardgaming web log:
Feminism discourse: Why are women the exception in boardgame design?
Feminism Discourse Part 2: Who are the women that design games?
Feminism Discourse Part 3: Who else has asked this question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how popular she is yet (though she should be), but my #2 game ZhanGuo was co-designed by Stefania Niccolini. She is also co-designer of Railroad Revolution which is at Essen this year and having read the rulebook I'm already ready to put my money down. Plus it's getting some solid buzz which is great. It's safely the game I'm most interested in at this year's Essen and Stefania is on my short list of designers to watch out for.

Oh, and I almost forgot Christina Ng Zhen Wei, co-designer of the excellent Three Kingdoms Redux with her husband. This is unfortunately the only game they've made, but they both seem to have a solid presence here on the site and reading about the process of deciding to make this game was really fascinating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
jblomquist wrote:
Oh, and I almost forgot Christina Ng Zhen Wei, co-designer of the excellent Three Kingdoms Redux with her husband. This is unfortunately the only game they've made, but they both seem to have a solid presence here on the site and reading about the process of deciding to make this game was really fascinating.

We're working on our second game right now, but it'll take a lot more time. We started tinkering last year, but serious work began at the start of 2016.

We're starting to develop some kind of pattern in our game designing: I tend to come up with the spine of the design while my Significant Other comes up with the details to fill in all the gaps.

Oh, and her parents are also involved actively in this second game idea, via helping us with the playtesting. cool

Here is a pic of my lovely Significant Other, during a playtest of our first game idea:

And this is her BGG user profile:
Christina Ng
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Auntie
badge
说了又不听,听了又不懂,不懂又不问,问了又不做,做了又做错,错了又不认,认了又不改,改了又不服,不服又不说,那你要我怎麽办?
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Taylor

Lynnwood
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inka Brand with husband Markus. Village, et al.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Manger
msg tools
Leslie Scott invented the popular game Jenga!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Adams
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife has a game coming out soon, maybe at Essen. http://www.quicksimplefun.com/product/veggie-garden/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wood
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is this article I wrote:

https://li.st/sirjoshwood/board-games-designed-by-women-6X1o...

Burano and Lotus are both co-designed by women
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Bergquist
Sweden
Mölndal
flag msg tools
I wouldn't be surprised if the percentage of female designers is higher on the RPG side. Gunilla Jonsson is a famous name among Swedish RPG designers.
Tina Engström is the designer behind Privateers! which unfortunatly failed its Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marja Erwin
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How would you define "top" designers?

Both designers and players will have different goals for their games. Some people want detailed history and/or detailed a-historical settings. Some don't. Some people want different details. Of course, in each category, some games are better than others, but it's hard to say that Rocroi is better or worse than Serenity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
Nikki Valens is responsible for much of FFG's current Cthulhu products, including the recently released Mansions of Madness: Second Edition.

Did she do Arkham Horror: The Card Game? Because that is the first and only Cthulhu game that I'll ever buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anja Wrede
Susan McKinley Ross
Kerry Breitenstein
Edith Grein-Böttcher
Wendy L. Harris
Anja Dreier-Brückner
Andrea Meyer
Ingeborg Ahrenkiel
Kristin Looney
Kai Jensen
Mary Kay Beavers
Margaret Weis
Betty Mattas James
Lynn Pressman
Liz Danforth, role-playing games and almost 300 game art credits

Avalanche Press artists -- Susan Robinson, Peggy Gordon, Terry Moore Strickland, Beth Donahue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uisge Beatha
Scotland
flag msg tools
Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 - 84.7% turnout
badge
Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 - 84.7% turnout
mb

While she's better known as an illustrator, Doris Matthäus has a number of design credits for games I rate highly and there are relatively few men who have designed as many games as Maureen Hiron and even fewer who will have been more commercially successful, with Continuo alone being published in multiple editions over the years and in multiple languages long before that was common.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mb
Two absolutely amazing women who are designing roleplaying games:

Meguey Baker
Emily Care Boss

And our very own

Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb

who's pretty much doing everything: designs board games, roleplaying games and video games and is an artist.

Also

Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmb

with her The Cottonwood Contest

I'm sure I've forgotten to mention someone important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aw, thanks! I just saw this list.

There are several great female designers who are taking part in the various BGG design contests this year:

Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Janice Turner
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb

And the RPGG RPG design contests:

Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amy O'Neal
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
www.cascadecon.games
badge
Cascade Games Convention: Bellingham, Washington's premier tabletop board game playing event
mbmbmbmbmb
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Advanced Civilization, a seminal classic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toenail21 wrote:
I was just thinking about games last night, and realized that I can't name a single game in my collection designed by a female.

I was wondering the same thing, although my initial instinct was to look at "The Hotness" box to the left and clicked on "People". All 50 are male, so I came here.

We try to have a balanced play group, it's not easy to find women who like to play tabletop games beyond "monopoly" and "sorry!". It seems though there are more female players than ever before (I'm comparing with the 90s and my own youth)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joline
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And of course our own
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
who co-designed Project Dreamscape
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.