Subject: Question regarding Shadow trait rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick O
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A question came up recently while attacking a Shadow Dragon. The shadow trait indicates an adjacent hero must spend a surge or the attack is a miss. So, if the roll has no surges and the hero has no other way to generate one, the attack misses.

But, if a surge is available, does it have to be spent to simply have a successful attack? Or, can the surge be applied to whatever, and since a surge was "spent", conditions are fulfilled and the attack connects. As written, this seems correct to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always interpreted this as needing a surge to hit. That surge is spent fulfilling the condition to hit. Additional surges can be spent on effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly. You can somewhat reword the Shadow ability as:

Shadow: Attacks from heroes adjacent to this monster miss. Adjacent heroes attacking this monster gain:
: Ignore the Shadow ability for this attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ozga
msg tools
mbmb
Small correction:

Shadow: Attacks from heroes adjacent to this monster miss. Adjacent heroes attacking this monster gain:

Shadow does not affect only adjacent heroes attacking monster with this ability. It affects adjacent heroes performing any attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
IceRik wrote:
Small correction:

Shadow does not affect only adjacent heroes attacking monster with this ability. It affects adjacent heroes performing any attack.

Wow! Thank you!
I totally misread it until now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter and I are in the middle of our first Shadow Dragon encounter (during a RTL side quest) and this Shadow business is a real bitch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.