13 Posts

Tiny Epic Western» Forums » Rules

Subject: A couple of questions about porch slots rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kuling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
a) If a player puts a posse member on your porch slot, and decides not to (or can't) use the building, would you still receive 1 gold?

b) If a player initiates a duel on your porch slot, would you get the gold before the duel, or after, and would you only receive it if the attacker won (and could make use of your building)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
DayvanCowboy wrote:
a) If a player puts a posse member on your porch slot, and decides not to (or can't) use the building, would you still receive 1 gold?

b) If a player initiates a duel on your porch slot, would you get the gold before the duel, or after, and would you only receive it if the attacker won (and could make use of your building)?

Hello,

1. The building has to be used to yield the gold payout.
2. After and only if you won and made use of the building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kuling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mgcoe wrote:

So, if I had a Post Office in my porch (Buying phase, "Pay 2(X). You win the Town Hall regardless of your hand"), I'd have to wait and see if the player pays the 2 resources at the buying phase until I receive my 1 gold?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would seem that...
a) You only receive gold if your building's action was used, so if a player did not use the ability of your building, then you receive no gold. This would be similar to the situation where a player's Posse Token occupied your porch spot but there were no buildings there. In this example, you would receive no gold.

b) Any Instant Action occurs immediately when the Posse Token is placed on that spot. The player does not give up this benefit if they lose in a duel. The winner of a duel gets the benefit of the spot in which they occupy. When a building action is taken, the owner receives 1 gold influence (unless the action take is by the owner of the building). So in your example, the player who places their Posse Token on the porch spot will receive any instant action benefit from doing so and the owner of the building would receive the gold immediately when the player takes the building's instant action. Later, if a duel happens on that spot and the attacker wins, then the attacker may receive any instant action benefit associated with that spot and since the building's instant action is taken again, the owner would get another gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
DayvanCowboy wrote:
mgcoe wrote:

So, if I had a Post Office in my porch (Buying phase, "Pay 2(X). You win the Town Hall regardless of your hand"), I'd have to wait and see if the player pays the 2 resources at the buying phase until I receive my 1 gold?

No, the "Pay 2(X)" should happen right away in the phase 2 when the posse is placed. That's when you'd get your gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kuling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mgcoe wrote:
No, the "Pay 2(X)" should happen right away in the phase 2 when the posse is placed. That's when you'd get your gold.

Ah, okay. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charmy 004
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Really? The Pay 2X has the 'Phase 4' Symbol on it, suggesting this building is used in Phase 4.

However, the player has to pay the 2 influence immediately after placing the character in the slot?

That is very confusing, as the 'payment' and the 'effect' happen at different times.

What happens if they paid the 2 influence when they placed their posse, then they lose in a duel at this slot and get wounded. Does that mean they paid the 2 influence for nothing?

I think there needs to be a formal rule clarification about what exactly causes a building to be "Used", to clear up when gold rewards are given out.

For example, with buildings that give out influence based on the 1st card purchased in Round 4, does the purchasing of the building trigger the building as "Used"? Or is it "Used" the moment a posse is placed there in Round 2?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kuling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It would've made more sense to make the Post Office card an instant effect.

I assume all other cards with effects that resolve in phases 3 and 4 are considered 'used', even if the player doesn't get any benefit from them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Charmy wrote:
What happens if they paid the 2 influence when they placed their posse, then they lose in a duel at this slot and get wounded. Does that mean they paid the 2 influence for nothing?

Yes.

Charmy wrote:
For example, with buildings that give out influence based on the 1st card purchased in Round 4, does the purchasing of the building trigger the building as "Used"? Or is it "Used" the moment a posse is placed there in Round 2?

A building is triggered immediately upon posse placement unless the player explicitly chooses to not use the building. So it is at that moment that the building is considered used or not. The player cannot go to a building and wait to see if they're going to use it. If the building is owned by a player that player gets the money immediately when the posse is placed there UNLESS the player who placed the posse says right then and there says that they are not using the building.

I hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Another opinion that the Post Office really should have had a [!] on it. I get WHY you went that direction, but I just don't think it worked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - I totally missed the one gold payout in the rules. Not sure how - I have poured over those things!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jacobson
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mgcoe wrote:

This contradicts your previous ruling:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1546126/outhouse-and-post-o...

Is this a change in ruling?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
MaineCoon wrote:
mgcoe wrote:

This contradicts your previous ruling:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1546126/outhouse-and-post-o...

Is this a change in ruling?

Yes, and thanks for reminding me of the older post. I updated it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.