Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Maciw
United Kingdom
Thatcham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the Soviet Guards units elite. My confusion is that elite units have a red box around their defence factor but the Guards units are red anyway, so does that make them elite. I can't see it specifically stated in the rules either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Grad
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maciwt wrote:
Are the Soviet Guards units elite. My confusion is that elite units have a red box around their defence factor but the Guards units are red anyway, so does that make them elite. I can't see it specifically stated in the rules either way.

Hey Terry, the Soviet guard units are not elite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Francis
Wales
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion
flag msg tools
“"To Aetius, now consul for the third time: the groans of the Britons ... The barbarians drive us to the sea; the sea throws us back on the barbarians: thus two modes of death await us, we are either slain or drowned".” ―Gildas
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a very interesting interpretation of the rules.
Though I'll grant that it isn't clear the elite quality troops actually have a white number in a red box.

The other place to check of course is the examples of play in which the guards don't get a TQ shift.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Maciw
United Kingdom
Thatcham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick response. I thought that was the case but I had a nagging doubt at the back of my mind as the red Guards units are the 'Elite' Soviet troops when compared to the other brown Soviet units.
Thanks again for clearing it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dont have my rules book on me but I believe Mark left that a comment as to why there are so few elite units in the back of the rules book under the Designers Commentary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Maciw
United Kingdom
Thatcham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ajpyyzajp wrote:
Dont have my rules book on me but I believe Mark left that a comment as to why there are so few elite units in the back of the rules book under the Designers Commentary.

Yes, I've found it:
"Troop Quality Shift: This rule replaces the old Panzer Corps shift in the first edition. While other units in the order of battle could be classied as elite, I wanted the TQ shift to only apply to the division-size German Panzer and Panzergrenadier divisions to reflect the lethal combined arms value of those formations."
That explains why the Guards are not classed as elite (my underlining).
Thanks again for all your responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.