Subject: Handicap system rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jérôme Vuarand
United Kingdom
Caldicot
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I've been playing more and more as a casual 2 player game, with different people, I came to realize that Theseus suffers from the same problem as many 2 player games: I get better faster as I've played as much as all my opponents combined.

So I was wondering how to introduce some handicap system to compensate. I was thinking about giving them additional installed cards at the beginning of the game.

Has anyone tried any such system to re-balance the game when the two players have different experience levels? Do you have any other ideas for a handicap system?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a very good idea. Either give them 1 or 2 already installed cards (from the cards they did not get in the set up) or give them 2 or 3 yellow cards into their hand.

On the other hand, Theseus is really unforgiving game. If you don't know what to do, your opponent will destroy you. It's brutal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Scothern
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also give them an upgrade token (or 2 or more!) as another option to help them out (this is what I did when my kids were learnng it - they don't need the boost any more!).

Or give them a starting bonus on the wounds or data tracks.

This is a fabulous game, so do whatever you need to do to keep people playing it :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.