BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: Previously owned? Do I currently have a copy or no? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank QB
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit confused by the ambiguity of the term "Previously owned" in the collection option on BGG. It's possible that "Previously Owned" means both "I own a used copy" or "I previously had a copy".

Anyone have a definitive ruling on which of these is the intended meaning?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand it to mean, "I previously had a copy." Not sure how useful it would be to know that I own a used copy. After all, once I open it and play it, it immediately becomes "used." So, that would be my whole collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It means exactly what it says i.e. I owned a copy at some previous time. How does owning a used copy come within that description?

It couldn't be clearer. And certainly no ambiguity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank QB
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahiksking wrote:
It means exactly what it says i.e. I owned a copy at some previous time. How does owning a used copy come within that description?

Some companies use phrases like "Previously owned" as a euphemism for used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frankqb wrote:
Ahiksking wrote:

Some companies use phrases like "Previously owned" as a euphemism for used.
If previously owned was right next to a "new" option, I could see how you might favor that interpretation. But as it is next to an "own" option it seems pretty obvious the two options are meant to identify whether you currently or previously own/ed a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While this seems obvious, I've seen a lot of people miss this in their collection. I also see a lot of people list games they have for trade in the 'Want in Trade' section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
also you can use for whatever the hell you want it to mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I always understood it to mean that I previously owned a copy.

A related question: if you previously owned a copy, and now you own it again, do you mark both "Previously owned" and "Owned"? I suppose so.

I also note that if you previously owned it several times (you just couldn't make up your mind about that game!), there is no way to indicate how many times you previously owned it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Yeah, I always understood it to mean that I previously owned a copy.

A related question: if you previously owned a copy, and now you own it again, do you mark both "Previously owned" and "Owned"? I suppose so.

I also note that if you previously owned it several times (you just couldn't make up your mind about that game!), there is no way to indicate how many times you previously owned it.

I'd suggest that every game you own is an 'instance' of that game. When you sell/get rid of a game then it gets marked as 'previously owned'. If you subsequently buy the game again, you are purchasing a new 'instance' of that game and it should be added as a new game into your collection. You would effectively have the game in your collection twice, one as owned and one as previously owned.

Of course, if the second time you buy the game it's actually the exact same copy that you originally got rid of then it's not a new instance. But surely no one has ever done that, have they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahiksking wrote:

It was ambiguous to that person, so they were right to ask the question.
Thankfully they were able to receive help from others with a less aloof tone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frankqb wrote:

Allow me to suggest that the ambiguity is intentional. So that you can define it in any manner useful to your own purposes. Not unlike Top 10 and Hot 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I don't. When I re-acquire something, I change it from "previously owned" to "owned".

The concept that I have owned this item historically is implied by the fact that I "own" it currently. It would be a stretch for someone to assume that they noted my game status at the exact moment I purchased it. Thus they have to assume that it has been marked as "own" for at least some period of time. As there's not an easy way (that I know of at least) to indicate when you purchased an item, it's unclear whether an owned item has been owned for a brief or long period of time.

I do think its interesting to know if someone has acquired a game multiple times, so I could see an argument for marking both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrwendal wrote:
Ahiksking wrote:

It was ambiguous to that person, so they were right to ask the question.
Thankfully they were able to receive help from others with a less aloof tone.

A factually correct and hopefully clarifying answer can hardly have an aloof tone. If you wish to read something into that then be my guest. But please don't label my response with a descriptive term that is no more than your attempted interpretation as to intent. Sometimes the written word may portray a picture that differs in the eye of each and every beholder.

Enough said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahiksking wrote:
Enough said.

More than...
Thread closed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
russ wrote:
I don't. When I re-acquire something, I change it from "previously owned" to "owned".

The concept that I have owned this item historically is implied by the fact that I "own" it currently. It would be a stretch for someone to assume that they noted my game status at the exact moment I purchased it. Thus they have to assume that it has been marked as "own" for at least some period of time. As there's not an easy way (that I know of at least) to indicate when you purchased an item, it's unclear whether an owned item has been owned for a brief or long period of time.

I do think its interesting to know if someone has acquired a game multiple times, so I could see an argument for marking both.

I have one game I marked with both owned and previously owned (Friday). I got it before I really understood the mechanisms and got rid of it because I was too frustrated with it. When I got it again, I left the previously owned mark in as a note to myself to think before getting rid of games. (Though I do frequently cycle through my collection, so I imagine at some point, other games might end up rebought.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
frankqb wrote:

Allow me to suggest that the ambiguity is intentional. So that you can define it in any manner useful to your own purposes. Not unlike Top 10 and Hot 10.

I find top ten and hot ten ambiguous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Owned" is actually idiosyncratic English grammar and lends itself to ambiguous interpretations, particularly with non-native speakers. This topic has come up before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahiksking wrote:

Hmm? Of course there is ambiguity in "Previously Owned"! It does not say exactly "I owned a copy at some previous time"; it says only "previously owned".

"Previously owned" is a syntactically ambiguous fragment which could indeed be part of a complete sentence with a past tense verb ("I previously owned this game" = "I owned a copy at some previous time") but could also be part of a sentence with a passive participle ("This game was previously owned" = "Someone else owned this copy at some previous time").

If there is no ambiguity, then how do you explain frequent expressions like "previously owned cars", which means "used cars", i.e. "cars which someone else previously owned", and does not mean "cars which the writer/speaker previously owned"?

In fact, doing a web search for "previously owned" reveals that the majority of uses seem to be of the participle form ("previously owned cars", "previously owned golf clubs", etc etc). So I can certainly understand someone being unsure of the intent of the phrase in one's BGG collection.

===

To be clear, I agree that the probable intent is "I previously owned this game", and that's indeed how I use it.

But there is certainly ambiguity in what "previously owned" can mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If "previously owned" was used in game rules, I guess most people would find it ambiguous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

There is actually. I've got five games that I have listed twice as previously owned. Just click the button "+ Add Another Copy" and list the new copy as previously owned as well. They will both show up separately in your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cagriggs wrote:
russ wrote:
I also note that if you previously owned it several times (you just couldn't make up your mind about that game!), there is no way to indicate how many times you previously owned it. :)

There is actually. I've got five games that I have listed twice as previously owned. Just click the button "+ Add Another Copy" and list the new copy as previously owned as well. They will both show up separately in your collection.

I could still find ambiguity in that. So you sold a game twice and at least one (if not both) buyers got swindled.

(see Gene Wilder, Mel Brooks, The Producers)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to update the data in my collection. I used to own a lot of games. I still own them, but I used to, too.

(apologies to Mitch Hedberg)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.