Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that Illuminati is on Vassal, but I can't think of a good way to play it asynchronously, especially regarding attacks. It could take days of back and forth messaging where one person says that they are committing enough money to have a 10 to attack, and then another player bumping it down to 4, then the active player bumping it back up to 8, then another player bumping it back down to 5, etc. If each of those exchanges took a day, this game would drag on forever.

Other than getting everyone to commit to playing attacks at scheduled times in real life, has anyone come up with a way to streamline this?

I'm thinking along the lines of forcing the Attacker to announce how much money they're going to add. Then, go clockwise around the table, giving each player one chance to spend money on the Attack.

Or have all of the players blindly choose how much money they are committing to helping or hindering the attack, and then work out the results. That would be brutal, but faster.

For example, the Attack is currently at 6. The Attacker secretly commits 6 MB. If no one else does anything, then the Attacker clearly overspent just to be safe. On the other hand, if the other players each secretly chipped in a total of 8 MB, the Attack would be at 4 and the Attacker would just have to try to roll it, even if they had more money they could have added.

Or maybe there's a more complicated way of doing it where players could put conditions on the money they are adding. You could go around the table and have everyone chip in 1 MB at a time according to some standing orders they establish like, "If it gets to me and the Attack is currently at 8 or higher, I will chip in 1 MB against the Attack. But I won't spend more than 5 MB total on this Attack."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
randomlife wrote:
Or maybe there's a more complicated way of doing it where players could put conditions on the money they are adding. You could go around the table and have everyone chip in 1 MB at a time according to some standing orders they establish like, "If it gets to me and the Attack is currently at 8 or higher, I will chip in 1 MB against the Attack. But I won't spend more than 5 MB total on this Attack."

This.

Each player specifies a target Attack value, and a spend limit (along with an order of money sources if necessary), then iterate until it's done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:

Or have all of the players blindly choose how much money they are committing to helping or hindering the attack, and then work out the results. That would be brutal, but faster.

Not very well received by the fans of Illuminati, but the Crime Lords standalone revision used this mechanic, named the "showdown" where discussions/negotiations/threats happened until everyone was done and the one time choice of how much to commit was held.

It sped up the game, but fans weren't happy with how much it reduced the negotiation and threats phase before the dice were rolled. Many consider that as the core of what makes the game withstand the test of time despite the potential length of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.