Subject: Help me Identify CoC Fonts! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Hi there... as you may know I am rebuilding the card scans for OCTGN and LackeyCCG. Part of this project is actually adding all current errata to the cards as well as adding a small "restricted" symbol to them.

Example...

Now I am pretty sure that the main font is "Times New Roman" for the card text. All the variants of Times New Roman I have tried look a tiny bit to thin to me, but I feel it is pretty much bang on as it is. The font is not close enough to be able to "insert a word" but if I rebuild all the text so it is uniform, it looks and feels right I think.

The problem I am having if finding the font for the card titles.

This is the best I have got so far. As you can see it is really close but lacks that "typewriter" look that the original has, as this font is all neat, and the original font looks kind of mottled like the spokes of the typewriter did not have ink evenly spread on them.

Doing these errata has convinced me that eventually once I have the entire pool to pick and choose for sources I should be able to make card templates for each faction Char, Support, Event and also stories. This could lead to a community run expansions like Warhammer Invasion has. (See "The Forever War"). But I'll still need a good replacement for the Title Text.

There is a modification of the TimesNewRoman font that has the faction symbols in them on BGG, but it dose not have the Silver Twilight unfortunately
Times-CoCfont @BGG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tragic I added the Silver Twilight faction symbol to the Times CoC font file. Geekmail me if you want the file and I'll send you the link to my dropbox file.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
sapper_D wrote:
Tragic I added the Silver Twilight faction symbol to the Times CoC font file. Geekmail me if you want the file and I'll send you the link to my dropbox file.

Awesome thanks man!

You should upload it to the file section or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
I've done some tests with the "Title Font".....

I was told already that "My Old Remington" was the correct font, and it is clearly the closest, but maybe there is a trick to it but the text is looking all "thin" and hard to read.... so I went looking for simular fonts that might have slightly thicker type. I was pointed to a website called "DaFont" that had a lot of free fonts.

My Underwood @DaFont
Bohemian Typewriter @DaFont
Am-Type1 @DaFont
Remingtoned-Type @DaFont
My Old Remington @DaFont
Chonker @DaFont
wbx-Granny @DaFont

Most are unacceptable, many were VERY close... I picked the top three and I'm asking for your help to pick which on.

I'm not going to list the font name.. in case the makes it bias.

1)

2)

3)

Thoughts? (Remember it is more about readability than being an exact match)

PS - While Typing I suddenly thought, what if I used the font, but then duplicated the layer, so there were two layers with the fonts.. this might bolden the type a tad and fix the problem (I am also having this problem on the general card text)

- EDIT -

Did a small test.. here one of the cards I have done text errata for that required the entire text box to be replaced. I use a mix of Times New Roman and the TimesCoC font (TimesCoC dose not have Bold or Italics, but it has the faction symbols)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Font no.1 seems the closest to me. The letter shapes seem nearly identical though slightly bolder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
No 1 - looks closest - can't you just 'bold' the font (assuming you haven't done so already) in whichever text editor you are using to bulk up the Remington font, to make it less thin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
I think I am going to go with version 1 of the font for the Title cards and use the "duplicate" technique I used on the card test to make the fonts slightly bolder.. but maybe a tiny bit less of an effect.

domus_ludorum wrote:
can't you just 'bold' the font (assuming you haven't done so already) in whichever text editor you are using to bulk up the Remington font, to make it less thin.

I'm not sure how fonts work exactly but I think when you select "bold" or "italic" you actually switch to a completely new version of the font in the same "family". It isn't an "effect" applied to the font.. so some fonts, especially custom ones have no bold or italic version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Old Remington font certainly has a "Bold" version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
I'm talking about the custom Times New Roman called TimesCOC.. it has no bold or italic so you have to use Times New Roman for those things.

The problem with the word text, and the title text is not that it should be "bold" but that it is to thin.. I know that sounds like the same thing.. but it isn't.

Take "My Old Remington"... when you type it out and save it into the file, it "looks" thinner and is more difficult to read than the original. So I was trying to find a version of the font that was thicker.. because if you make Times New Roman and set it to bold it is way WAY to thick.

But I think I found a solution in those images at the end of my last post... if I just duplicate the text layer, so it is text written over text, then it makes it looks a little more bold, but it retains the "normal" feel of the font.

I think this is because of how antialiasing works. All the translucent value pixels become shade darker as instead of there being the background there is another bit of the font.. so it is like additive but not the same as selecting bold. In fact I can even adjust the power of the effect by changing the opacity of the under layer.

sapper_D wrote:
My Old Remington font certainly has a "Bold" version.

Well mine defiantly doesn't. I got mine from DAFONT... could you send me the font you are using?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry Tragic I misunderstood blush

My Geekmail I sent had a link to the My Old Remington file I have in my Dropbox that I use and has a bold version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
no your right.. thank you.. I knew you had sent me that but kinda forgot.. sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.