Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pardon me if this has been answered before. I just acquired a new Black Box Kickstarter Edition with all the cards still sealed. I want to make sure if I am missing anything. Along with the customary mats, rules booklet, and card decks, I see I have the following items:

- 5 sealed decks. One of them appears to be the Promo Cards. I can't tell however if the decks also contain the Republic Expansion cards unless I unseal all the decks. Do you know if the Republic Expansion was offered later as a promotional item?

- a strip of bubble pads which I assume is to be attached to the mats for easier playing.

- two metal badges, one with a pin; the other without a pin

Was there anything else that came with the original black Kickstarter edition? Do I have everything? The box itself is in excellent condition with very little bubbling. Hardly noticeable. The rulebook has no scuffing on the spine like other editions that I have seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ash Jones
Australia
Newcastle
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a very lucky find!

As far as I can tell, that's everything. Republic expansion is included, the back of the 'Rome Demands' board outlines the difference in the republic vs imperium (cut throat) versions. The deck with a visible Domus is the unofficial geek expansion.

There is mini camps available, that are available to print. Unsure if there was a Kickstarter release of them. Doesn't affect the game, just preference / optimisation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blankstein
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice find! It's pretty much impossible to answer your questions over the internet. You should probably just send the game to me for inspection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you have everything except the mini camps. The KS bonuses that you got depended on when you backed so it likely whoever you bought from didn't back early enough. I believe you had to back VERY early to get them all.

Also you should have a second supplemental rulebook for the promo cards (I assume when you said you got them, you got the Black Box version and not the I.V version).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cedar Creek
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
It's my understanding that all Black Box editions contained the Republic Expansion but that it was also offered as a promotional item for the I.V edition. That promo is actually still available in the BGG Store.

This image in the gallery was very helpful to me when I was tracking down a copy of the Black Box edition - it shows all the Kickstarter extras except for the pin:

The mini-camp or travel camps were offered via the Kickstarter. I know because I bought a second Black Box just to get them. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DriverDown wrote:
I know because I bought a second Black Box just to get them. whistle

You can buy as many copies as you want, but you will never have the BGG microbadge KS bonus. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DriverDown wrote:
It's my understanding that all Black Box editions contained the Republic Expansion but that it was also offered as a promotional item for the I.V edition. That promo is actually still available in the BGG Store.

This image in the gallery was very helpful to me when I was tracking down a copy of the Black Box edition - it shows all the Kickstarter extras except for the pin:

The mini-camp or travel camps were offered via the Kickstarter. I know because I bought a second Black Box just to get them. whistle

DriverDown,

Your image was extremely helpful. It seems I have all 6 out of 6 Kickstarter extras plus Appendix III for the rulebook. The mini-camps are not in shrink but everything else is. I also have both the token and the pin. I wonder if this was only done for the earlier releases.

My rulebook on the last page thanks all the kickstarters. If there were retail editions of the Black Box did they use the exact same rulebook? I only ask because this could be a quick way to determine if your copy is a Kickstarter edition or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was available retail, but I don't think there were specific KS editions. All of the KS extras came outside of the box.

They kind of had to do it that way since you were allocated a number of extras based on when you backed, and you got to choose which of the 6 you wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoît Delcorps
Belgium
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chiefsachem wrote:
I just acquired a new Black Box Kickstarter Edition.

I'm curious. Can I ask the price you paid? ( and where you found the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I happen to own two new copies of this edition from BGG auctions. By cobbling them together I now managed to build one complete Kickstarter set. The other copy is still unplayed but now has only two of the Kickstarter expansions (the promo cards and Republic expansion). Together both editions cost me a total of $294 including shipping charges. I want to sleeve all the cards in my second copy but I'm afraid if I do the cards will no longer fit in the insert. What a dilemma.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
I got an in shrink copy myself last year at Essen. You probably do want to sleeve the cards, since they're pretty flimsy and especially the jacks will start to show white flecks pretty fast.

The insert won't hold them anymore, but I made my own out of foamcore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearpaw wrote:
I got an in shrink copy myself last year at Essen. You probably do want to sleeve the cards, since they're pretty flimsy and especially the jacks will start to show white flecks pretty fast.

The insert won't hold them anymore, but I made my own out of foamcore.

I tend to agree with you Kris. For a OCD player I think protecting the sleeve cards and storing them in a tight-fighting foamcore storage outweighs the lost value of tossing out the original insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Porter
United States
Bangor
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually just got a copy of this in trade, and this thread has been extremely helpful. I had a couple of questions:

- How important are the bubble pads? My copy did not have any in the box. Are there any suitable replacements?

- Are perfect fit sleeves suitable for the cards?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
templarjr wrote:
How important are the bubble pads? My copy did not have any in the box. Are there any suitable replacements?

None at all. I've played my copy 70+ times without them. You may find it preferable even, since the camps hold down the cards which can otherwise move around with the pads applied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
templarjr wrote:
I actually just got a copy of this in trade, and this thread has been extremely helpful. I had a couple of questions:

- How important are the bubble pads? My copy did not have any in the box. Are there any suitable replacements?

- Are perfect fit sleeves suitable for the cards?

Thanks!

The feet are non-essential. I found them convinient. You can get them at Home Depot, Amazon, etc. Like these things: https://amazon.com/VOVOV-Self-adhesive-Rubber-Bumpons-diamet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so jealous and hate you. Not for real but yeah for real.

I just got a black box edition when miniaturemarket happened to somehow get some in stock. I'd do awful things for the KS bonuses

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PraetorianXVIII wrote:
I am so jealous and hate you. Not for real but yeah for real.

I just got a black box edition when miniaturemarket happened to somehow get some in stock. I'd do awful things for the KS bonuses

When you said "mininaturemarket happened to get some in stock..." did you mean 4 years ago? There's nothing in their inventory today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I guess it's been that long. I remember it was impossible to find when that happened, and I got it then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.