Subject: Are the two sides of the China map identical? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jared Hayter

Metuchen
New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If not, how are they different? If so, whate is the rational for having two copies of the map on the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 4/5 player map has 57 road segments while the 3/4 player map has 51.

The difference of six road segments means that the following towns are connected on the 4/5 and not the 3/4:

Ping (Chin) - Liangzhou (Wei)

Wan Sa (Shu) - Phangyong (Chin)

Wao (Zhao) - Dukang (Yan)

Shang Ch'in (Lu) - Xie (Lu)

Chenggao (Han) - Puyang (Wei)

Pengli (Chu) - Pei (Chu)

Fewer road segments and towns connected translates to a map that makes road scoring more challenging which is necessary with fewer player competing over an (otherwise) identical area.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Nice job on the comparison of the 2 maps!

Gamegrunt wrote:
makes road scoring more challenging which is necessary with fewer player competing over an (otherwise) identical area.

Some people disagree. Here is a quote from Bruno Faidutti's web page on China:

Quote:
The smaller board is more or less the size of the original Kardinal und König, while the larger board on the other side makes the game more interesting with four and five players - even when three players is probably still the best.

I'm not sure if I've played the 4/5 player side with 3. If so... maybe once? at most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Liumas wrote:
Nice job on the comparison of the 2 maps!

Gamegrunt wrote:
makes road scoring more challenging which is necessary with fewer player competing over an (otherwise) identical area.

Some people disagree. Here is a quote from Bruno Faidutti's web page on China:

Quote:
The smaller board is more or less the size of the original Kardinal und König, while the larger board on the other side makes the game more interesting with four and five players - even when three players is probably still the best.

I'm not sure if I've played the 4/5 player side with 3. If so... maybe once? at most.

Ok. But how is one board larger than the other? The maps are identical with the exception of the missing road segments. With all due respect to Mr. Faidutti, someone should have informed Mr. Schacht during China's playtesting that only one version of the map was necessary (the 4/5 player map), if "even when (with?) three players is probably still the best."

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.