Rivals: Masters of the Deep» Forums » Variants

Subject: Solo / Coop Game Play Brainstorm rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Einar Wulfsberg
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I’ve been thinking of a rule set for solo/coop play. My Wife isn’t too keen on 1 v 1 competitive games like this so I wanted a way to play this game with her. Please provide feedback or ideas to flesh out this game for tabletop or board game play. Also support the game on Kickstarter so we can unlock some more minifigs (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wheelhouse/masters-of-t...).

This would be a boss based assassination objective game. Start on one side of the board and move across fighting enemies to eventually reach the boss battle (3' x 4' or similar board/table size). As the game progresses more enemies start spawning as the number of turns played increases, so there is a sense of urgency to get across the board and complete the objective. I’ll detail the mechanics in more detail below. Finally in terms of a story these attacks would be against Corrupted Elementals, Rouge Cog/Nautilus/Low Tribes, Haywire automatons, lurker swarms/mutated lurkers, or other groups rebelling against the main faction. I will also explain how to randomize terrain placement and spawns for enemies.

The difficulty would be scaled based on the point value of armies used (shared point value when coop). Difficulty could also be increased by using more difficult enemies (i.e. easy would be fodder while hard would be heroes), having enemies start with aether for special abilities, and speeding the spawn rate. I would also see enemies having awareness range, so they could be bypassed. Enemies would move towards the last sight of a battle to investigate until they notice the friendly units. Enemies would also attack the nearest friendly unit as a default (if a different player isn’t playing as the enemy side). Finally the boss battle would have a group of supporting enemies and a powerful boss. The boss could be a buffed standard unit with more dice/life/aether/abilities/etc.

Finally to setup and game play. To randomize both terrain and enemy spawns you would use a grid to cover the play area. Spawning would occur similar to Flash Point where you roll two die to set the two axis on the board (probably D20s or higher to get more specific placement). There would be limits to the number of terrain pieces in certain quadrants. For enemies they would not spawn more than a fathom or two behind the furthest back friendly unit (maybe not more than 3-4 fathoms in front of). You could reroll or flip dice to change location if it is out of bounds. Lurker lairs would still be used and would automatically activate if units move within one or two fathoms. Spawned enemies would provide aether or loot. This could be determined by a dice roll on a D6 (i.e. 1-3 is 2 aether and 4-6 would be 1 loot). The game would start with 1 or more enemies at random locations based on the difficulty. Once the game starts there is a ticker that will count up as turns progress (think Pandemic The Cure) so after 3 turns 2 enemies spawn, 6 turns 3 enemies spawn, 9 turns 4 enemies, etc. This would have to be scaled for difficulty. Turns would progress like a normal game.

A lot of details would have to be worked out, but I hope this would be a decent start to a rule set. I am open to feedback or berating comments. Though I’ll ignore berating comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einar Wulfsberg
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Rivals Solo/Coop Scenarios (Draft) - Feel free to provide feedback - I am not the creator of this game, so am going off of my limited understanding so far.

Bosses can be upgraded units (more life/attack or defense dice/improved equipment or abilities). The bosses, number of Mobs, and Mobs equipment/tactics/abilities could be modified to change the difficulty. Further refinement and play testing would be needed against different sized armies.

1. “Sea Net” – Enemy rogue automatons. Background: The Cog Nation gave an automaton an AI upgrade to improve combat effectiveness and squad leadership capabilities. Unfortunately the automaton determined that the best way to end the ongoing conflict was to destroy all four factions. That or he was really mad he was designated “Fluffy” by a Cog engineer with a sense of humor. “Fluffy” has established a base of operations within a Cog factory and is amassing resources to build a mechanical army to end the battle for aether. The factions must cast aside their current conflict to end this existential threat. (* Any factions units can be allied for this mission.)
Boss Battle: Automaton “Fluffy”, 2 drones, riflemen
Mobs: Drones, Riflemen, Wrenchmen

2. “Kelp Huggers” – Enemy Nautilus and Low Tribe eco terrorists. Background: Guru Balthazar/Zara (male/female hero) are tired of the impact the conflict the four factions is having on the environment of the Lurk. Under the leadership and charisma of the Guru both Nautilus and Low Tribe members have been converted into a Eco army bent of driving the four factions out of the Lurk so harmony can be restored. The “Kelp Huggers” have been getting more organized and brazen with their attacks on supply lines and other soft targets in their efforts to stall out the conflict over the aether. (* Primarily Cog mission, but can be played by other factions.)
Boss Battle: Guru Balthazar (Male Nautilus/Low Tribe Hero) and/or Guru Zara (Female Nautilus/Low Tribe Hero) and other Mobs
Mobs: Nautilus/Low Tribe Mobs – Heroes on higher difficulty.

3. “Corrupted Ancients” – Enemy Ancients. Background: A group of Ancients went into hiding deep underground in a hidden aether deposit. The close proximity of the aether gave them long lives but also warped their minds. They now are obsessed with hoarding aether from any who seek to use it in the ongoing conflict to include their Ancient brethren who are now returning to the Lurk. (* Any faction can play this mission. The number of enemies will likely have to be scaled due to strength of Ancients.)
Boss Battle: Corrupt Warden and Mobs
Mobs: “Corrupt” Ancients (other than Warden)

4. “Distinct Lurks” – Enemy “distinct” lurks. Background: The conflict between the factions over the aether is taking its toll on the Lurk. The widespread use of aether is pushing the ecosystem of the Lurk to the point of no return. The Lurks are beginning to gain awareness and are gathering other lurks to grow their “distinct” ranks. The efforts of the “distinct” lurks and their leader, the Great “Distinct” Lurk Giant, is putting all factions at risk and they must be stopped at all cost. (* Any factions units can be allied for this mission.)
Boss Battle: Great “Distinct” Lurk Giant and supporting lurk mobs
Mobs: Lurks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.