Hide
4 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: The Tyrant is almost too easy now rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
Is it just me or does the Tyrant fight become too easy once you've figured out a fairly simple strategy:

Strategy
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Simply equip all your survivors, or at least your attackers with a secondary or primary club/heavy weapon and make sure you've innovated 'Surge', at least. Whenever he jumps through a gate or performs Crooked Step, you'll have two d10s to roll. If you get 10, highly likely, you gain a survival and can place your survivor adjacent to the Tyrant, even in the blind spot. Then, it's a simple matter of Surging and attacking until dead.

I'm in the middle of a LV3 Tyrant showdown and aside from his pretty high toughness and that my Zanbato was destroyed, I'm confident that I'll be able to get him by just repeating the same strategy.

I've yet to fight the Dragon King, so maybe that's where it all hits the fan. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe I was playing it wrong, but I beat him level 1 2 and 3 on my first try ,but the fight is fun ! Love the mechanics on the fight love em , now I'm getting my ass kicked in a sunstalker campaign

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Power
New Zealand
flag msg tools
That strategy is solid, however it relies on a few things and can very easily go wrong. For starters there is no way to guarantee you get Surge - my last two campaigns I haven't got it until Yr15 or so which makes those fights incredibly difficult. You also need to have the resources to build that many heavy/club weapons - its probably doable by Lvl3 Tyrant if you focus on it, but it would be a push to get there by Lvl2 and they require resources which could be spent on plenty of other things (like other weapons to give you a more rounded loadout).

The biggest thing is that by Lvl3 the Tyrant is putting out 2+ gates per turn every turn, which means you are dedicating two of your survivors just to break the gates. Since he still is doing damage to you every turn as well as spawning the gates you are essentially damage racing him with only 2 of your characters, and that is something he could easily win. The other issue is placement, because your gate breakers can very easily end up out of position (i.e. they both break gates and end up next to the Tyrant, who jumps away leaving only 1 gate to break). Realistically the Lvl3 fight you just have to eat 1-2 of the big gate mood cards over the course of the fight (Unbreakable can save you big time here), if you keep surging you can keep them from getting out of control, but eventually cards like Enshrine (where he surrounds a survivor in gates) will push them above the point where you can manage them.

Dragon King
Spoiler (click to reveal)
From memory the Dragon King doesn't have anything specific to heavy weapons. The key for fighting him is Dash more than anything else - if you avoid the worst of his Meltdown triggers your leveled up characters should do ok. If possible put the Hazmat (?) shield on your best damage dealer. I had my Bow character thrown into the air and died on impact, but I had a Shield Master in full Phoenix gear who was almost never going to die and a Sword Master with dual Lantern Swords whose main concern was hitting the trap

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
"Tyrant too easy now!"

...sounds like PotStars world problem to me. Rest us scrubs still gotta gatt that Watcher ho-baggs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.