Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Quick Guise promo question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Wright
msg tools
I was thinking about making a Santa Guise promo for my son for Christmas. We were toying around with the idea of something like this:

Cookie Thief
Power: Guise deals himself 4 psychic damage. If he does, then he may take 1 non-character villain or environment card to place under this one, removing it from play."

My wife liked it, but she said that he should only deal himself 3 psychic damage. Personally, I'm afraid that it's still awfully potent (even if it's awfully costly, too). What do you smarter people think?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You know that there's an official Santa Guise promo, right?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Webb
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
dthurston wrote:
You know that there's an official Santa Guise promo, right?


Indeed, and it is quite powerful especially if someone can get him bonus powers. He can get a whole team built up inside of 3 or 4 rounds with bonus a bonus power or 2.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wright
msg tools
dthurston wrote:
You know that there's an official Santa Guise promo, right?

I am aware of that, yes. I was thinking of making another one for him, like Santa Guise comes each Christmas.

Rosgath wrote:
Indeed, and it is quite powerful especially if someone can get him bonus powers. He can get a whole team built up inside of 3 or 4 rounds with bonus a bonus power or 2.

Actually, he's not building up a team -- he's taking Environment and Villain cards off of the board (or are you talking about the official Santa Guise promo?). But I still thought that it was too powerful (there's a reason that when Heroes have "destroy an Environment card" cards, it's usually a one-shot).

Anyone have a nice "Santa Guise steals stuff for himself" idea for a promo card?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yeah, I'd be worried what this could to to relic-heavy villains like Apostate and Gloomweaver - turning off basically their entire threat.

How about a Guise dressed as The Grinch who goes around stealing everyone's presents (the cards they're about to draw?)?

Quote:
Stealing Christmas
Power: Place the top card of each hero deck under this card. You may destroy all cards under this card. If you do, deal 1 target 1 melee damage for each (H) cards destroyed this way.


Basically it's a setup for a big omnicannon-style turn with Guise the Barbarian or Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy!, at the cost of Guise's usual flexible power.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Here's one I thought of a while ago:

The Guise who stole Christmas.

Power: Select a random card from another player's hand, put it into play, treat any Hero name on that card as Guise.

Power: Each player with fewer than 4 cards in hand may draw 2.


This one is crazy, and the results vary wildly. The second power is good enough that most players don't mind getting their cards stolen.

It can also work without randomness, but that caused trouble because the cards you want they want too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wright
msg tools
Phantaskippy wrote:
Here's one I thought of a while ago:

The Guise who stole Christmas.

Power: Select a random card from another player's hand, put it into play, treat any Hero name on that card as Guise.

Power: Each player with fewer than 4 cards in hand may draw 2.


This one is crazy, and the results vary wildly. The second power is good enough that most players don't mind getting their cards stolen.

It can also work without randomness, but that caused trouble because the cards you want they want too.

Dude, we're like, separated at birth! We did a card like that a while back (see below), but I like your wording and thinking on it better.


Any other ideas that come at this from another angle? I mean, the new Completionist Guise promo is also a bit klepto, so what other takes are there on this "steal some other deck's card(s)" that we can make use of?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RevKev2000 wrote:
Any other ideas that come at this from another angle? I mean, the new Completionist Guise promo is also a bit klepto, so is there a third take on this "steal some other deck's card(s)" that we can make use of?

Name a keyword then randomly trash a card from one other player's hand. If the trashed card has that keyword, draw 3 cards or Guise deals one target 4 psychic damage.

?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wright
msg tools
Fun!

There's also Steve's clever idea from his Halloween thread--
Ensign53 wrote:
Trick or treat guise: knock knock! Draw 2 cards. You may either discard both of them to deal 2 damage, or keep one and put the other on the bottom of your deck.

We could even tweak it to say something like "Draw 2 cards from any hero deck. You may either discard both of them to deal 2 damage to 1 target or discard one and play the other, treating its text as if the active name on that card were Guise."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wright
msg tools
greylag wrote:
How about a Guise dressed as The Grinch who goes around stealing everyone's presents (the cards they're about to draw?)?

Quote:
Stealing Christmas
Power: Place the top card of each hero deck under this card. You may destroy all cards under this card. If you do, deal 1 target 1 melee damage for each (H) cards destroyed this way.


Basically it's a setup for a big omnicannon-style turn with Guise the Barbarian or Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy!, at the cost of Guise's usual flexible power.


Man, this is totally growing on me...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Only problem I have with it is it caps at 1 damage per power use. Even with Barbarian that's 3 damage per power use, and once you use it you start over.

Tough choices gives you 1 damage and a card play or draw.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phantaskippy wrote:
Only problem I have with it is it caps at 1 damage per power use. Even with Barbarian that's 3 damage per power use, and once you use it you start over.

Tough choices gives you 1 damage and a card play or draw.

Nuh-uh. Check the wording carefully. The damage isn't summed to X then dealt: 1 damage is dealt multiple times. Wording is identical to Tempest's Vicious Cyclone. So this goes in heavily on damage buffs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wright
msg tools
Man, you guys come up with great stuff! Now I've gotta filter all of this through my editors (i.e.; my family). I'll see if we can come up with anything else as well, and if so, then I'll pop it up here too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.