Hide
15 Posts

Legendary: Civil War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hulkling Copying Sidekicks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M Wilson
msg tools
So, clearly Hulkling can copy Sidekicks since they are also Hero cards.

However, what happens when he copies the generic Sidekick? The 'draw 2 cards' effect triggers when that Sidekick is returned to the Sidekick stack. Does that mean that I can toss that Hulkling card in the Sidekick stack (since he is the Sidekick for the duration of my turn) to draw 2 cards? Or does that not happen and he just ends up doing nothing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hulking can't copy Sidekicks.

Because part of the Sidekick's resolution is to return it to the Sidekick stack, the card is no longer there for Hulking to see. You may keep your sidekicks/new recruits in front of you for the turn to help in adding things up, but they are technically never "in play."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hulking's copy card is a (ahem) copy of Rogue's copy card. (They have the same text.) The same question was discussed for Rogue over here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1477004/rogue-copies-and-si...

There's no requirement that the card must be in play, just that it has been played. Magik can count played Sidekicks, so Rogue and Hulkling can copy them. You'll draw 2 cards, but just keep them in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually pretty sure that instead of returning Hulkling's card to the deck you're supposed to rip it up into tiny little pieces and scatter them across the board like confetti.

I keep emailing Upper Deck to tell them that I never received those cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
Hulking's copy card is a (ahem) copy of Rogue's copy card. (They have the same text.) The same question was discussed for Rogue over here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1477004/rogue-copies-and-si...

There's no requirement that the card must be in play, just that it has been played. Magik can count played Sidekicks, so Rogue and Hulkling can copy them. You'll draw 2 cards, but just keep them in play.

Interesting point. Legendary does indeed use the same terminology for both cards like Magik and Hulkling, so I suppose one must play them the same way. However, I doubt this was the intent. Because this game borrows a lot from Magic, I tend to make rulings based on my understanding of that game.

In Magic, a card can remember how many of something you've played this turn, regardless of where those things end up. But in order to copy something, that thing needs to still be around to see.

I think this is just an example of sloppy wording, rather than the way the "Clone" effects were meant to work. I am going on a hunger strike until we get an official ruling on this.

You are all invited to my funeral.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
runnestrand wrote:
Because this game borrows a lot from Magic, I tend to make rulings based on my understanding of that game.

Yeah, that's why ended up in the minority in the discussion of whether you need to discard when Rogue copies a Cyclops card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runnestrand wrote:
TravelSized wrote:

Interesting point. Legendary does indeed use the same terminology for both cards like Magik and Hulkling, so I suppose one must play them the same way. However, I doubt this was the intent. Because this game borrows a lot from Magic, I tend to make rulings based on my understanding of that game.

In Magic, a card can remember how many of something you've played this turn, regardless of where those things end up. But in order to copy something, that thing needs to still be around to see.

I think this is just an example of sloppy wording, rather than the way the "Clone" effects were meant to work. I am going on a hunger strike until we get an official ruling on this.

You are all invited to my funeral.

I don't really see the comparison you are making between Magic and Legendary. You are basing your assumptions off of a Magic card effect, when this is Legendary. As you have pointed out in previous conversations, there is a certain amount of interpretation on some Legendary cards, but this card reads "Play this card as a copy of another Hero you played this turn." Literally, you have played that Sidekick. He might not be around anymore, but you played it. Same thing if you played a card and then KO'd it. You still played it this turn, and can still copy it. I don't think there's a lot of interpretation needed whether a played Sidekick can be copied.

Good questions in this thread about returning it to the sidekick stack though. There's some interpretation there. I wouldn't return the Hulkling or Rogue card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This brings me to a question
Let's say you play Rogue and copying a Sidekick card, now Rogue's card is that card as well, then playing Hulkling (as this is the thread) you copy Rogue's card, but are you copying it and the copy? Or are you just copying the original card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Puderbaugh
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
usuba wrote:
Let's say you play Rogue and copying a Sidekick card, now Rogue's card is that card as well, then playing Hulkling (as this is the thread) you copy Rogue's card, but are you copying it and the copy? Or are you just copying the original card?

I would treat it as copying Rogue (who is copying the sidekick). You would get the sidekick's ability as well as Rogue's class (covert if I remember correctly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhythmic wrote:
usuba wrote:

I would treat it as copying Rogue (who is copying the sidekick). You would get the sidekick's ability as well as Rogue's class (covert if I remember correctly).

I would play it like Rhythmic too. The Hulkling would copy the Rogue which copied the Sidekick. Net result of Hulkinling's card would have the following classes and teams: Avengers, Shield, X-Men, Covert and Grey status. It would draw 2 cards.

Unless it was just a rhetorical question, in which case I would answer "Far out man."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Puderbaugh
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
Rhythmic wrote:
usuba wrote:

I would play it like Rhythmic too. The Hulkling would copy the Rogue which copied the Sidekick. Net result of Hulkinling's card would have the following classes and teams: Avengers, Shield, X-Men, Covert and Grey status. It would draw 2 cards.

Unless it was just a rhetorical question, in which case I would answer "Far out man."

Except that Sidekicks aren't Shield affiliated. Not sure where Shield is coming from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would actually be kind of cool if the Hulkling card went to the top of the Sidekicks deck after being used like that. Then it could be recruited from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhythmic wrote:
jhochges wrote:
Rhythmic wrote:
usuba wrote:

Except that Sidekicks aren't Shield affiliated. Not sure where Shield is coming from.

Oh yeah, slipped my mind. You are correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
Rhythmic wrote:
jhochges wrote:
Rhythmic wrote:
usuba wrote:

Oh yeah, slipped my mind. You are correct.

Cool thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
runnestrand wrote:
In Magic, a card can remember how many of something you've played this turn, regardless of where those things end up.

Of course, Devin Low has made it clear that cards in Legendary do not have any memory. Although Devin Low worked on the MtG development team for years, he didn't design MtG. So while a good working knowledge of how cards in MtG can help with understanding how Legendary cards work, I don't think it's always the answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.