Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I understand that if you are adjacent to an opposing master and you move, you must EXERT. This includes Dodge, which is a movement. I thought I understood this clearly until I read the FAQ.

Under Combat Movement on Page 10 of the Expanded Rulebook: "You can be locked in combat with multiple masters, meaning you must EXERT for
each master you move away from."

I took this to mean that if I am adjacent to two masters and move away from both of them in a single hex movement, I must EXERT twice.

Then I read this in the FAQ under the question about DODGE: "So it is possible to exert once or twice via a DODGE effect, but never more. It is also possible to exert from moving away from one opposing master, even if you end up next to a different one. If you are next to even three opposing masters and you move away from them at the same time, you only need to exert once in total."

So does that mean the intended rule is you should only EXERT once for each hex moved, regardless of how many opposing masters you moved away from, but you may have to EXERT additional times if you don't move away from all opposing masters in a single hex move?

I can play by that rule, but I never would have assumed it from the way the text is written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Sprung
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the question, JT. I think the reason for this confusion is from me writing the rules one way, long ago, and later they were edited and changed to something else (and I'm stuck in my old memories). Sorry for the confusion.

I re-read both the core an expansion rulebooks, and they both mention the same "for each master" verbiage.

So in this case, my FAQ is inaccurate - I've updated the FAQs to be correct. Please see http://www.greenbriergames.com/main/index.php/yashima-rules-... for the update.

Hope that helps! Long story-short, it doesn't matter if you move to a space adjacent to a master, all that matters is when you move away from an opposing master. So if you are surrounded on 5 sides, when you move one space, you'll have to exert 3 times, since you'll still be next to two other opposing masters. I think three is the max possible, per move space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Joshua. It must be difficult to create something in collaboration, only to have your original vision modified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Sprung
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly never intended to have people exert that much for moving away, I wanted a little poke to give a small advantage for close-combat players, not something that kept people locked in face-to-face - I think we already have enough people complaining about there "not being enough movement". Not enough movement, typically just means that a ranged master doesn't know they are better at a range.

But it doesn't come up often enough for me to see any real issues, so I let it go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think it actually makes decisions more interesting in a 2v2 scenario. There is an aspect of risk and reward for trying to pin an opposing master, because grouping up means it becomes easier for a single attack to hit both teammates, never the less the potential for friendly fire.

I've read the "not enough movement" complaint on the forums before, but I don't get it. We constantly drop move actions into the action pool to deny other players attacks, and those movements are usually used to reposition, flee, get to useful terrain(relic or rejuv, sometimes slick), etc. Maybe it's another side effect of playing team battles because there is more space to move and more actions to consider?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.