BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Question: Where Can I Find Labelling Requirements? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nik Macmillan
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey BGGs,

I'm reaching out because I've been doing a ton of reading to figure out what's recommended vs. what's required for labelling, and I can't seem to find any definitive answers. (There have been some great posts on design and self publishing in the BGG forums but I'm still not sure...)

Some quick background, the game I'm working on is a quick, family style card game with custom art on both sides of the cards. Physically, it's similar to a standard poker deck. I live in Canada and hope to sell it throughout North America (well, I HOPE to eventually sell it internationally... one can dream).

If anyone is able to provide any information or point to a resource that can help me out, I would really appreciate it. Questions that immediately come to mind are,

- Do I have to specify an age on the box and, if so, are there different requirement for different age groups? (If I had to assign an age I'd guess 13+ as I've seen this age displayed on a number of games similar in type)

- Do I have to specify where the game was made?

- What legal symbols are required? (I'll admit I haven't looked up a lot of the symbols, but one that comes to mind is the "CE" symbol)

- If I'm the only seller of the game, do I require a barcode?

Cheers everyone,
Nik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
You would be a fool to listen to my advice, but I believe LEGAL age warnings have to do with the size of the pieces and the inherent choking risk primarily.

For a deck of cards you would be posting an age recommendation for information only and not subject to those same laws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
I can answer a thing about the bar-code. If you are selling something as a retailer you need to have a cash register, if you need to have a cash register you also need to have a bar-code reader. So, that answers your question.
And yes, you do need to specify where the game is made. For any type of goods that is prone for exporting out of the country it MUST have a place of origin emphasized. Why? Customs and their fees, that's why.

As for symbols on your box, it depends on various things. But, you will have to inform yourself about that by contacting some other game manufacturers. I think it's better if you ask them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
May I point you to two geeklists we wrote up about our experiences in designing and publishing:

Lessons Learnt as a First-time Board Game Publisher
We Are Taking The Plunge! (Part 4) (There are five parts, but part 4 contains the CE logo discussion)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broadbent
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This seemed helpful for the CE: http://www.ce-marking.org/what-is-ce-marking.html

The age marking also has testing implications for non-toxicity, etc. I think that generally, 14+ exempts you from many of those. Most teenagers know not to stick things in their mouth, even if they still do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
clbroad wrote:
This seemed helpful for the CE: http://www.ce-marking.org/what-is-ce-marking.html

The age marking also has testing implications for non-toxicity, etc. I think that generally, 14+ exempts you from many of those. Most teenagers know not to stick things in their mouth, even if they still do.

That is true. I'm a grow up man, but still I've almost inhaled a sanity token from Mansions of Madness when I wanted to sniff that good smell of a newly printed game that has just came from the post office.

Here's the advice for those who like to enjoy that smell of newly unboxed game: Don't punch out the tokens before you do that. XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Busani Games wrote:
- Do I have to specify an age on the box and, if so, are there different requirement for different age groups? (If I had to assign an age I'd guess 13+ as I've seen this age displayed on a number of games similar in type)
Generally speaking it when it is above 5 or 6 it should be the age where a child or a bunch of children that age could take the game, open it up and teach themselves. I don't think this is a rule per se, just is, or was, a common convention.

Busani Games wrote:
- Do I have to specify where the game was made?
If you don't, I know I will assume the worst (i.e. it was made somewhere with lower quality, because if it wasn't you would tell me on the box). ninja

Busani Games wrote:
- What legal symbols are required? (I'll admit I haven't looked up a lot of the symbols, but one that comes to mind is the "CE" symbol)
That you would need to investigate or ask around publishers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Macmillan
Canada
flag msg tools
Yeah, that was my understanding as well. Chris (see below) mentioned that the age marking might also be connected to testing for toxicity... I'm getting the feeling that I should dig through some of Health Canada's policies to make sure. Thanks for the response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Macmillan
Canada
flag msg tools
So clearly I'm new to posting in the forums but the post above was meant for Koldfoot.

8Oj4N - Thanks for the info, makes sense to me. Contacting a manufacturer is a great idea, they should be the experts after all!

Yeoster - Thanks for the links, I'm reading through the first one right now. Tons of good information beyond labeling requirements!

clbroad - Thanks for the CE link, lines up with what Yeoster sent. Looks like it the responsibility of the manufacturer to make sure they are meeting the requirements of the European health, safety and environmental protection legislation. I'll definitely be following up with the manufacturer I end up using. As for the age marking, like I said to Koldfoot, looks like I'll have to confirm everything with Health Canada policy.

Karlsen - Good point regarding where the game was made haha. And yeah, I'll reach out to some publishers to see if they can provide any info.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I got a lot of good info to work with.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Campbell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
8Oj4N wrote:
I can answer a thing about the bar-code. If you are selling something as a retailer you need to have a cash register

I sell as a retailer in Canada and have no cash register .. I have never been privy to this requirement tbh.

8Oj4N wrote:

if you need to have a cash register you also need to have a bar-code reader.

The vast majority of variety stores with cash registers do not have bar-code readers.

Bar codes are not a requirement unless you wish to sell through standard channels (distributors generally require them so they can scan the items in/out, amazon requires them, most physical stores require them, etc), but if you are selling yourself and have no wish to go into retail markets or distribution, a bar code is not necessary.

That said, they are cheap, so just get one and save yourself the hassel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Macmillan
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reply rorschach9! I still haven't had the chance to look into bar-codes so I really appreciate the info (especially coming from a retailer)!

I'm still deciding whether to sell myself or go through retail/distribution but I'll definitely keep this in mind.

Cheers,
Nik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Macmillan
Canada
flag msg tools
Quick update for anyone who has the same questions I did, I emailed the Competition Bureau for their input and, as far as they are concerned, there are three mandatory statements which must be shown on a label,

- Product identity
- Product net quantity
- Dealer's name and principal place of business

I still have a couple questions so I'll be following up this week (week of Oct. 24). I'll provide another update once I've been in contact with them.

Thanks again for the responses everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.