6 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » Rules

Subject: [NON-SPOILERS] Failing an Endeavor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T S
msg tools
mbmb
We had a question for clarification that came up.

During an endeavor, is it consider failing if there is a natural roll of all blank faces? Like is this a critical failure and you cannot use fortune tokens to change the blanks to successes so your turn immediately ends?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll all the dice in your dice pool and count your successes. If the site is not dangerous, you may spend fortune to change blank dice into a standard success, one die per token spent. ....

If you did not roll a single success, or if your ship sank as a result of taking damage, the endeavor is a failure and your turn ends immediately. Otherwise, you succeed (even if you took damage).

While you could read the rules literally as you say, my understanding is that if you have at least one success after spending fortune, and you don't sink, then you succeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I agree with David's assessment.

Don't forget damage to the Flag Ship. Rolling all blanks (even if changing one die to a success with a fortune token, could mean sinking of the ship with all that damage.

If the site had a red defense color, then you could not use a fortune token to help (unless you had an active advisors Advanced Scout or Local Guide).

I cannot remember any rule in the rule book discussing all blank dice rolls and any text stating discussion of critical failures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I concur. Spending fortune to turn a total failure into a costly success feels appropriate. If rolling all blanks meant you are not allowed to spend fortune, this would have been pointed out in the manual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T S
msg tools
mbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

While you could read the rules literally as you say, my understanding is that if you have at least one success after spending fortune, and you don't sink, then you succeed.

Right, that's why I wanted to ask for clarification because either interpretation has textual evidence behind them. Spending fortune seems like it could be considered to not rolling a success and thus "if you did not roll a single success" would apply pre-fortune. My own feeling is that you can spend the fortune, but I wanted designer input on this.

(Also, it's kind of weird to think about reading rules and technical writing "non-literally".)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
natureslayer wrote:
(Also, it's kind of weird to think about reading rules and technical writing "non-literally".)

My experience is that if you want to grasp the designer's intent, you generally have to understand the style of that particular author, and how precise they tend to be in their wording, so as to not interpret things in an overly literal way.

Perhaps all board game designers and authors should convey all rules in a highly technical and precise style. But my experience is that they don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.