Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After introducing a friend of mine to this game, he was interested in trying it again, so we found the time to do so, with interesting results. I gave him the choice of attacking, or defending, he chose not to choose, so he rolled a die, 1-2 Austria, 3-4 France. Two, it was, and Austria he rolled, and played for the second time.

To extend a hand-up for him, I took France with 13 starting Morale. This, I thought, would make me work more diligently, and give him a greater chance to learn the game, and have a better outcome than before.

His attack plan became clear, as he continued to pour troops into Area 7 aiming for Casteliriolo, (Area 20/21). Meanwhile he slowly made his way on his left flank up the road toward C. Valle (Area 25).

My defensive line was 11, (held by a single 2-step cavalry unit, and 21-13. Here, he became hesitant, allowing my 2-step infantry at 21 to withdraw to 19, with no CPs spent, nor step reduction.

After seeing his strong drive on his left flank, my right, I did something that I had never done before. I moved all three of my cavalry to defend my right flank. One unit was at Area 11, while the other two were at 19.

I had the center, 14-23, and 24-34 undefended, though I had a strong defense in depth going along 25-35-45.

As you do with the French, I gave ground grudgingly, though not so much as to lose many Morale points, yet enough to prevent a 'bloodfest'.

Ultimately it wound down to a 2-point French, and 4-point Austrian Morale ending, with my French cavalry retreating away from 'the front lines' and making two undefended Manuever Attacks against units of his that were in the approach, without any reserve units to support his line.

Overall, yet another splendid game. Several new defensive actions were tried, the main one being placing all three cavalry on one side...and it just so happened that, for today's battle, that was a good call, as his battle plan was for all of his cavalry to move on my right flank.

Thank you again Bowen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.