Popular Tags: [View All]
J. Atkinson
United States
Grant
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My third day of this campaign in Israel defending the air base started with a munitions shortage. I really had to conserve a lot of supplies in general before our next shipment could arrive. So, I took the opportunity to assess the situation and see how bad the enemy was advancing on us. The only threat close to use was a tank leader battalion that was probably guarding the forward base we took out the previous day. They were barely past our front line encroaching on us in transit. With so few targets, I figured we could get by flying only one mission for the day which would allow me to rest some pilots and get the shot up F-16 Falcon mission ready again.

I tapped Divot, my sureshot, and Shadow for this mission. Even after flying the previous day, Divot was still itching for some more action, and Shadow with his calm demeanor was rested from the previous day. I had a lot of confidence in these guys even though they weren't the quickest to react at times they always got the job done. Besides, Flash was almost out of commission, but I knew he would bounce back quickly if I gave him some rest.

We headed over to the briefing room where I gave them the low down for today's mission. I spared what munitions I could that would ensure a successful mission. I gave Divot plenty of Mavericks for most of the tanks along with a hellfire, sidewinder, and some LAU-68's for that occasional soft target. Shadow got hellfires, a sidewinder, and a LAU-68 rocket pod as well. I wanted them both to have at least one sidewinder, because our intel showed a couple of enemy attack helicopters in the area. I didn't want them to be defenseless. I sent them with two scouts to make sure they had plenty of information to approach the target zone effectively.

Divot and Shadow were able to get a jump on the enemy with a long low-level approach to the target. They came in from the north and hovered within range of both enemy helicopters. Shadow took the tank and chopper to the west, while Divot zeroed in on the chopper and command unit to the southwest. Bang, bang, bang, bang... they didn't now what hit them. Both then proceeded southwest in tandem. Shadow took out the next command vehicle while Divot unloaded mavericks on the tanks and the LAU-68 on the AAA vehicle to the far south. Again... they didn't know what hit them.

After sweeping those target rich zones, I had Divot proceed to use his last maverick on the tank to the west while Shadow would hunt down the AAA vehicle to the far east. They had plenty of time, until the first hiccup happened after Divot eliminated the remaining tank. The AAA to the east must have picked up on his buddies not responding to comms, because he dug deep into cover. I had a command decision to make at that time. Divot only had cannons left and was already on an exit vector from the target site. Shadow was going to send some hellfires on the AAA once in range, but now he'll have to go in close with an LAU-68. The problem is the AAA is going to get 4 shots on Shadow before he can get in killing range. Given that, I decided to send Shadow home, while still out of the AAA's firing range. With a single AAA left, the battalion was destroyed... mission accomplished. I'm sure that AAA had a bit of hike back to the front lines all by himself, and I'm betting we put the fear of God in him.

When the strike team got back, I gave Divot a promotion to flight leader and Shadow a pat on the back for job well done and for coming home safe with no wear and tear. We finished the day out with very little incident. Flash seemed to already be doing better after his harrowing last mission and trying to get home on low fuel. The F-16 was looking almost as good as new. Supply trucks were rolling in at the end of the day. It seemed like the end of the perfect day until we got word that a tank spearhead and tank force had just busted through the front lines in transit toward our base.

Well...maybe I should have taken out that last AAA after all. No telling what he told his superiors when he got back to the front lines. It must have sure got them riled up after we took out the tank lead, and I think they see us as a threat.

That they should...bring it on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Myers
United States
Hays
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Breaking this out, thanks for the report on your troops!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
As they say in Counterstrike Condition Zero... "Way to be, team!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.