Subject: LOC Query rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Norell
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am currently enjoying my first game of A DISTANT PLAIN and am finding it extremely challenging and intriguing. I am a little confused about LOCs and would appreciate some clarification for one not familiar with the mechanics of previous COIN games.

1. I understand that an LOC is distinct from a province. If pieces move along an LOC, are they considered to influence control in adjacent provinces? Can they assault? Or are they confined to the LOC and any other pieces on it?

2. If Police cubes can only move along LOCs via patrol operations, how do they get to enter a province?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
pnorell wrote:
I am currently enjoying my first game of A DISTANT PLAIN and am finding it extremely challenging and intriguing. I am a little confused about LOCs and would appreciate some clarification for one not familiar with the mechanics of previous COIN games.

1. I understand that an LOC is distinct from a province.

Yes, a LoC is a completely separate map space.

Quote:
If pieces move along an LOC, are they considered to influence control in adjacent provinces?

No, not as long as they remain on the LoC. A piece can only influence Control in the space where it is currently located.

Quote:
Can they assault?

Yes, they can Assault enemies located on the same LoC.

Quote:
Or are they confined to the LOC and any other pieces on it?

Yes.

Quote:
2. If Police cubes can only move along LOCs via patrol operations, how do they get to enter a province?

By Redeploying there during the Propaganda Round, by being Trained there, or through Events.

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
pnorell wrote:
1. I understand that an LOC is distinct from a province. If pieces move along an LOC, are they considered to influence control in adjacent provinces? Can they assault? Or are they confined to the LOC and any other pieces on it?

They don't influence Control in adjacent Provinces. You can perform just about every Operation on an LoC (excepting Train and Rally).

Quote:

The only ways you can get Police into Provinces is either by moving them there during the Redeploy Phase in the Propaganda Round, or by getting a COIN Base in the Province (via Train or Events) and Training them there.

Ed: ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Turbine2k5 wrote:
Ed: ninja

/Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Norell
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks all for your prompt reply. All sorted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Norell
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
mbmb
A further question: An activated Taliban guerrilla can extort resources from un-sabotaged LOCs. Does this mean any LOCs adjacent to the space? For example, can a guerrilla takes 2 resources in the Ghowr province, one for each of the adjacent LOCs?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No.

Let's check what the rule says:
4.4.1 Extort wrote:
For each space, Activate 1 Underground Taliban Guerrilla there
(emphasis added)

"For each space, ... there" means that whatever is written in the "..." place must be in the affected space. I.e., a Taliban Guerrilla can only Extort in the space where it is physically located, not in any adjacent spaces.

(Also, note that the Extorting Guerrilla must start the Extort SA Underground and Activate as part of the Extort; you can't Extort with a Guerrilla that had already been Activated by some other action.)

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Norell
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks again. I am slowly getting the hang of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.