Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Playing for the first time - Any tips? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Going away for a few days with some friends.

Planning on playing a few games in the afternoons.

Arkham Horror is coming with us.

Any first time tips/advice to help make things go smoother.

I have already printed the rules and given everyone a copy.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Ghost
badge
Can't You See That You're Lost Without Me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't stress too much about the rules. Read them, re-read them if you need to, but don't feel like you have to go back and check every little thing while you're playing. Treat the first game as a learning experience, and then reexamine the rule book if you feel like some things weren't entirely clear. People who usually worry about playing a game 100% correct on their first go around tend to dislike Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stick to the phases and that mostly solves rule issues..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only read the encounter cards when you have to, let it be fresh and new for as long as possible.

You will get rules wrong, but if you are trying to interpret a rule then it is usually best to go with the worst case scenario.

This is more of a rollercoaster than a game, so enjoy the ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Have started to print out some of the files from this site.

Flowcharts and a 52 page reference guide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

All good advice. In particular, don't sweat rules mistakes at first; just continue, playing correctly thereafter. And DO follow the phases.

This is also pretty useful:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/605472/newbie-faq-21-th...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Radulla wrote:

All good advice. In particular, don't sweat rules mistakes at first; just continue, playing correctly thereafter. And DO follow the phases.

This is also pretty useful:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/605472/newbie-faq-21-th...

Thanks - printed this out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try to keep the game moving along at all times. AH can be a great "experience game", but if you let it devolve into too much banter, table talk and discussion of rules/tactics it will expand from a 4 hour first game to an 8 hour first game.

Focus on the aim of the game: sealing gates. Try to ignore distractions thrown at you by the game

Clues are you most important resource after "time". Spend them wisely - you need them to Seal Gates

Plan on a Gate opening every turn and remember that it takes three turns to Seal a Gate and that there is a Gate Limit.

Spend your Trophies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest choosing Azathoth as your GOO. It's got a nice long Doom Track and doesn't add any side rules you'll need to remember during the game. Also no Final Battle - if his Doom Track fills up - game over. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh-FZRH6EBIWhhHw5v645Kg
badge
Only In It For The Chuckles!
mbmbmbmbmb
All great advice above.

I'll echo it with also recommending that you stick to the phases and don't get hung up too much on the rules. When confronted with what seems ambiguous - just pick the choice that is worst for your investigators and plough on! Rules knowledge will come with experience and even then some weird circumstance will still happen occasionally!

Time is precious. Look for ways to save tempo (trading during investigator movement for example). Talking of trading don't be afraid to trade cool items to other investigators who are better suited to use them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look for Mr. Skeletor's turn flowchart in the files. I'm too lazy to find the link for you at this time of the night...er...morning. When I play, this is the document I keep handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
oilerfan wrote:
Look for Mr. Skeletor's turn flowchart in the files. I'm too lazy to find the link for you at this time of the night...er...morning. When I play, this is the document I keep handy.

Thanks - Got that one - printed everyone a copy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
suggest choosing Azathoth as your GOO. It's got a nice long Doom Track and doesn't add any side rules you'll need to remember during the game. Also no Final Battle - if his Doom Track fills up - game over.

I like playing with Azathoth for this reason: it means you have to focus on sealing gates. But it can make for a long game, so Yig is probably better for your first game.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikeb13603 wrote:
Quote:
suggest choosing Azathoth as your GOO. It's got a nice long Doom Track and doesn't add any side rules you'll need to remember during the game. Also no Final Battle - if his Doom Track fills up - game over.

I like playing with Azathoth for this reason: it means you have to focus on sealing gates. But it can make for a long game, so Yig is probably better for your first game.

Mike
Ah, but then you have to tool up for Final Battle, which isn't the "standard" win. Much better to learn the Standard win first. Azathoth shouldn't be a long game if you close the correct Gates (another learning point, which I'm not spoiling here)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If people are recommending an AO with low-complexity rules, I recommend Nyarlathotep. His special abilities are just as complex as Azathoth's: you add the five Mask monsters into the bag where otherwise they wouldn't be used in the game, and forget about them. They enter play naturally like any other monster.

With a doom track of 11 as opposed to Azathoth's 14, the game will play shorter, which is a good idea to counter the time it takes to learn how to play.

Plus, unlike with Azathoth, there's a possibility for a final combat—which people are intrigued about from Game One.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stop playing when no one is having fun anymore
The game is more about the experience rather than beating the final boss
There will most probably come a time after 2-3h or so that the game will either be impossible to beat or too slow to keep your interest, bail out then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Listen to the Roaring 20's station on Pandora.

And definitely use the Universal Head rules reference.

But mostly, you need some 20's music.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't spend time doing extra things and SAVE clues for sealing. You will only have 1-2 chances to shop/get money early

Sealing gates ASAP is the key. Don't spend clues on rerolls unless it is for that or something else critical. Seals can really snowball the game in your favor once you get ~3 in play, buying you extra turns when gates get blocked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies - I will print this thread as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
If people are recommending an AO with low-complexity rules, I recommend Nyarlathotep. His special abilities are just as complex as Azathoth's: you add the five Mask monsters into the bag where otherwise they wouldn't be used in the game, and forget about them. They enter play naturally like any other monster.
True, but then you experience the issues of tough Monsters - when you don't have the experience to deal with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the number one thing you can do to move things along is to study carefully the game turn and have a good understanding beforehand what can happen when during each phase.

The Universal Head Summary is a good one. I would study page 3 very carefully, and maybe have copies of that page for each player ready to go:
https://boardgamegeek.com/file/download/ssfvlcozue/ArkhamHor...

Here is a condensed version:
https://boardgamegeek.com/file/download/u64k4p8ujh/ArkhamHor...

also, you may want to watch a turn or two played on YouTube. Catweazle's playthroughs are excellent:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh-FZRH6EBIWhhHw5v645Kg/pla...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the app Arkham Companion, it's pure gold and a time saver!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Facsantos wrote:
Get the app Arkham Companion, it's pure gold and a time saver!
Time saver? Not so much. Space saver? Certainly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.