Subject: Game Dev - Advancements rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Moore
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was curious on your thought process when developing the game. Do the suits and advancements have any particular meaning or theme as to why they are grouped the way they are?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The rwinder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Come read my Arkham Horror stories on Twitter @ArkhamHorror
badge
Image courtesy of Smizmazmarlemagne
mbmbmbmbmb
The six suits themselves were adapted from an earlier adventure game that also had six suits. That game is much more complex than "Deep Future" and I've not released it yet. I kept the suits because I liked them, I knew I could draw them, and six seemed to be a good balance for different activities you could do with them.

The alignment of suits to actions was just what made sense to me. How they lined up with advancements on their tables was done to ensure both a balance and a skew. I knew each suit should have a START and two special advancements supporting the same action type that were not focused on track manipulation. Then the track manipulation advancements were chosen to be equal numbers (except with a slight skew toward the Culture track, which is the unique track among the four anyway) with a consistent distribution where certain suits were the more common suit that affected the track, but there was always one other suit that could have an advancement that did as well. I also had to make sure that each track could be affected by different actions.

That's all to say that the match-up was created so you might expect certain suits to align with certain actions and effect-types, but you could never be 100% sure when generating them randomly.

As for the advancement names, the advancements weren't labeled until I lined up all the action / effects. These just came from a distribution of basic "civ" like technologies that I thought could recombine well into "super-technologies of the future" but also best fit what was happening (paying a certain resource into a certain action type to get a certain effect). The names are mostly to help imagination and can be ignored. I like them a lot though. It was especially fun for me to think up names for the 36 new ones in the "official variants" and try to keep them still suitable building blocks while being more niche.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Moore
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, cool. I develop for fun and am always interested in the thought process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.