Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy and I met last Friday evening for our second duel over Middle Earth. Our last epic game (20 rounds, 5 hours!) was a learning one for Randy - albeit one he won. This time, I resolved to do better. Randy chose to play Sauron again, as he wouldn't have to learn any new rules. I prefer playing Fellowship myself, so I wasn't unhappy about this. We'll swap roles for our next game.

Round 1: Hunt 2+1
The basics of this turn were simple: Randy began by menacing Lorien with his troops from Dol Guildur, and I began moving the fellowship twice - the second time they were revealed in Hollin. I moved the elves closer to war and played Imrahil of Dol Amroth, just in case. Sauron declared war, and the game was started. Corruption level: 1

Round 2: Hunt 2+1
The fellowship hid, found the Horn of Boromir, and moved onward. As the hunt was successful - an Eye Reveal - the Horn came in useful, negating the damage. The fellowship were revealed in North Dunland, and Frodo suffered a Morgul Wound.

In the meantime, Randy enjoyed himself with Isengard declaring War, mustering various troops, and moving an army into South Ithilen. Where was I to look? I moved the elves closer to war, and the turn ended.

Round 3: Hunt 2+2
The fellowship hid, and Randy brought the Witch King into play. This seemed an opportune moment to move again... a successful hunt, a 3 tile, and Gandalf died. I wasn't all that distressed. We ended the turn by trading events. On, On they Went, Eomer, Son of Eomund, The Black Captain Commands... which brought Lorien under siege, and There is another Way.

Round 4: Hunt 2+2
A Power Too Great made Randy's elvish strategy a little harder. Saruman entered play, followed quickly by Gandalf the White in Fangorn Forest, which would cause Randy to be very careful about leaving Saruman unattended for the rest of the game. Randy used Saruman's Voice to good effect, while I moved the fellowship. Once again they were hunted, but only took 1 corruption. Corruption score: 3. Randy ended the turn by discarding A Power Too Great.

Round 5: Hunt 2+2
The fellowship declared themselves in Dimrill Dale - not in a stronghold, but through Moria, at least! I moved them succesful as well. A few more events got played by both of us - Hill Trolls to reinforce the siege at Lorien and Orcs Multiplying helped Randy. He also moved the Easterlings closer to war. Meanwhile, I moved Rohan closer to war, and played Cirdan's Ships to reinforce Dol Amroth, and Gwahir the Windlord to move Strider to Minas Tirith. I ended the turn with Bilbo's Song, reducing corruption to 2.

Round 6: Hunt 3+2.
Lorien hadn't yet fell, so I declared the fellowship there, and reduced their corruption to 1. Then The Mirror of Galadriel allowed me to reduce it further. No corruption! Yay!

To celebrate, I crowned Aragorn in Minas Tirith, and moved Rohan closer to war as Randy continued to use Saruman's Voice to build the invading army. He then attacked Lorien, and the Black Breath caused the elves to fall only after two rounds of battle. The fellowship left quickly, but were revealed... but took no corruption.

Round 7: Hunt 1+1
I hid the fellowship. Randy used The Ringwraiths are Abroad! to search for the fellowship and to bring the Witch King to Orthanc, where his forces attacked the Fords of Isen. My troops retreated to Helm's Deep with no casualties.

I got one muster in Helm's Deep before the siege began. Shelob's Lair and Mithril Coat and Sting hit the table. Osgiliath also came under attack, but the scouts allowed the forces there to retreat to Minas Tirith. The assault was on! I moved the fellowship successfully once, but Randy responded with Cruel Weather. I was doing ok for corruption, but things were looking bleak on the military side of things.

Round 8: Hunt 2+1
The fellowship moved, were hunted successfully, but only took one corruption. (Total: 1!) Randy used Give it to Us! to make the endgame more difficult, and then moved to siege Minas Tirith. Hoping to get to Mordor quickly, the fellowship moved again... Another Eye/Reveal with 3 successes on the die meant Boromir perished; and the Nazgul continued to search for the fellowship.

Fearing for Aragorn, who was in the besieged Minas Tirith, I used Challenge of the King to try an eliminate the last two eye tiles in the cup - alas, neither were drawn and the card was wasted.

Round 9: Hunt 1+1
Denethor's Folly got rid of the only other leader in Minas Tirith - Aragorn was on his own! Randy followed it up with an attack on Minas Tirith, but, incredibly, it held out. Randy's army was destroyed, and Aragorn and his one surviving regular troop looked out on the wreckage. An incredible result!

Things just got worse as Randy attacked Helm's Deep - with the aid of two Ent cards I'd been saving up, I completely wrecked his forces, and then made a counter attack to destroy that army and kill the Witch-King! Two bad losses for the Shadow in one turn. Things were looking up - especially as the Fellowship managed to move successfully for once.

Round 10: Hunt 2+1
I reinforced Minas Tirith with a few muster dice this turn, just in case another attack was forthcoming. Randy spent the turn recouping, and getting ready for the next wave, bringing more armies out of Mordor. The fellowship moved twice, being found the second time (0R). I revealed them in Minas Morgul (2R), which killed Gimli. The group then hid.

Round 11: Hunt 3+1
The endgame was upon us as the fellowship declared in Minas Morgul! Candles of Corpses increased the fellowship's corruption to 2, but I played both Smeagol Help Nice Master and the Phial of Galadriel to help the Fellowship in their final run. The fellowship tried to move, but an Eye/Reveal killed Legolas and increased their corruption to 4. Hmm. Meanwhile, in the plains outside, the recruiting and rebuilding continued. Pelagir was attacked by the Southrons, and fell.

Round 12: Hunt 2+2
The fellowship moved again, and a 3 tile killed Merry and moved their corruption to 6. Only Pippin, Sam and Frodo were left! Gandalf moved from Fangorn to join Aragorn in Minas Tirth, but as he did so, an Orc Patrol almost located the fellowship. They escaped, but had to lose the Phial of Galadriel tile (the -2!) in doing so. No!

Round 13: Hunt 1
This was the turn with, a low hunt, I thought I'd be able to make it. Unfortunately, luck and the dice were not with me - hardly any character dice! I tried to move the fellowship, but they stumbled into Shelob's Lair. Only a 1 on the die for corruption, moving it to 7, but the fellowship couldn't move, and the opportunity was lost.

Randy began the siege of Erebor, I mustered a lot, and used Athelas to bring the fellowship's corruption down to 5. I could still do it! Gandalf and Aragorn led their army out of Minas Tirith, leaving only an honor guard behind, and moved into North Ithilin. Erebor fell to sustained attacks from Randy's forces.

Round 14: Hunt 1+1
At this point, I declared The Last Battle. Perhaps the fellowship would have more luck now! It appeared not... a 3 Stop tile, bringing their corruption to 7, as Pippin sacrificed himself. The Mouth of Sauron appeared to taunt Gandalf and Aragorn, and Gollum begame the guide.

The fellowship finally moved to the third square of Mordor - a 2, which beccame a 1R due to Gollum. Corruption at 8.

Round 15: Hunt 1+2
The Elven Rope entered the hunt pool, along with The Ring is Mine! I hid the fellowship, and moved them again... 1R. Corruption at 9, on the fourth square of Mordor. Things were desperate outside, with Helm's Deep falling to a sudden attack by Saruman. Minas Tirth went under siege again from the Southrons. Gandalf sacrificed himself, but Aragorn and his reduced troop had to retreat from North Ithilin. The Last Battle was over...

Round 16: Hunt 1+1
The final move... and an Eye-Reveal. Corruption reached 11, but the Ring-Bearer had completed his quest. Urk. A very, very close game again.

Randy had taken Lorien, Erebor, Pelagir, and Helm's Deep - and was getting ready for an assault on Minas Tirith and Dale. The fellowship had had a good run, but the two stop tiles had made it more difficult than expected.

We'll reverse roles the next game, and see how that plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
MerricB wrote:
Round 2: Hunt 2+1
The fellowship hid, found the Horn of Boromir, and moved onward. As the hunt was successful - an Eye Reveal - the Horn came in useful, negating the damage. The fellowship were revealed in North Dunland, and Frodo suffered a Morgul Wound.
Wow! what a cRaZy move! The extra hunt tiles for Moria aren't as bad as wasting charcacter dice for "fun and fitness" in the Valley of Hunt Rerolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:
the Valley of Hunt Rerolls.

That was funny! ROFLMAO!

sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.