Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cutthroat Cardboard (Barry)
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that we're approaching the sharp end of the KS thought it might be worth getting some views on how the content might affect the game play rather than as a measure of how much stuff you're getting.

I've got a soft spot for the IP from other games but never recall seeing this one in the flesh back in the day. This makes it difficult to get a feel for how the expansions along with the various new creatures and heroes will impact on the basic gameplay.

The game engine looks very simple but I'm hoping this will make it easy to hang little bits of chrome off of it without over complicating things so that the addition of new creature and rules will support the narrative rather than obscure it.

We've already got two expansions announced with a third about to follow. Thematically they look interesting and the mix of models looks good. Do we think however that Modiphius have got the mix right and these will add something to the gameplay experience or is this just the usual bucket of plastics to get the KS over the line?

I like the sound of the solo/co-op option which will add a lot of value for me...if they get it right.

I'm also interested to see how they polish the basic mechanics as quite a lot of game design has been churned out in this area since the original hit the shelves. Will be interested to see if this is an exercise in nostalgia or if the new game stands up.

Overall I'm feeling fairly positive about what I've seen but maybe someone who's played the original will feel differently?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark horneff
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed these guys when they did the Thunderbirds KS, that had alot of add ons and i can say all of them added to the game play. I am also backing this even though i have the original as i trust their game design skills and production experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
decaramas wrote:
I am also backing this even though i have the original as i trust their game design skills and production experience.

As you own the original game and are still backing the new version I presume you feel that the system stills stands up and that the new content is adding something?

I was impressed by Modiphius handing of their Airfix mini's game. Almost as much by their obvious love for the old material it was based on as by how they choose to re-interpreted it. Given their connection to this IP through the RPG I'm hopeful they'll bring something interesting to the new version.

Having played a bit of Warzone in the past I'm tempted to think that this might be a better scale and approach to play out the kind of scenarios I'm interested in. I liked the idea of the jungle tiles that have been announced as it opens up more stories that can be told with the system so hopefully the third expansion will provide more alternate terrain/locations to play in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark horneff
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The orginal was fun and the rotating over lord is a great mechanic. I feel they are changing the rules in the right direction. The orginal is a bit dated. I watched the most recent playtest video they released yesterday and like what i see.

I also have a soft spot for this IP, loved the FFG game ( figs werent good). This scale works better for me than the tabletop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a pile of the FFG stuff lying gathering dust. Maybe time to get it back on the table to tide me over to October 2017
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.