Paths of Glory» Forums » Rules

Subject: BEF Army loss rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mat Danel
France
flag msg tools
Question:

A stack of the BR-BEF army and the BE1 army attacks and takes 7 losses.

It's clear that first the BR-BEF army is reduced with the first 3 LF (12.4.5).
But after that, is their a choice for the next 3 LF, or 12.4.5 still applies and BR-BEF army HAS to be replaced by the BR-BEF Corps?

I ask this question because the FAQ is confusing for me:
p.9: 1st question about MEF, we can read:
"12.4.5 demands that the BEF is replaced with the BEF corps first", with BR-BEF and BR1 in the attacking stack.
But the rules seems to be only for the 1st step..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
12.4.5 only applies to the first step loss taken. What you do thereafter is up to you, as long as you comply with 12.4.3. This means you have the choice of eliminating the [BEF] or flipping BE1; both fulfill 3 out of 4 remaining losses with no way to take the last.

In the FAQ answer they leave out a bit of their reasoning. 12.4.5 says that you have to flip the BEF first. However, now you're stuck with a reduced BEF plus BR1 and BR2 at full strength, and you still need to fulfill 4 losses. Flipping BR1 or BR2 leaves you with 2 unfulfilled losses. Eliminating [BEF] leaves you with 1 unfulfilled loss, as the BEFc has a loss factor of 2. What the FAQ item is intended to illustrate is just that 12.4.5 takes precedence over 12.4.3, as it means you end up taking 6 rather than 7 losses. But it is rather badly worded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Gregorio
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Please do not count on the GMT FAQ as being authoritative. It was culled from CSW posts, some of them from 15 years ago, that have long been superseded or overruled. For example, that same FAQ, on page 12, says you can't SR the Montenegro corps; this is specifically allowed in the current version of the rules.

Speaking to the situation cited by the OP, after BEF is flipped, Kristian's statement "flipping BR1 or BR2 leaves you with 2 unfulfilled losses" is incorrect. BEF and BR1 or BR2 flipping is 6LF leaving ONE unfulfilled loss.

While that FAQ is useful, please bear in mind that it is out-of-date and often not aligned with the game rules as they exist today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Danel
France
flag msg tools
thank you a lot for the answer, and advice!
mat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Gregorio
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
You're welcome.

PS: I notice I did not directly comment on the correct resolution of your example. In the situation you cited, BEF would indeed take the first 3LF of the 7LF result, but, after that, you can flip one of the OTHER AP armies. In other words, the flipped BEF would NOT have to take the next 3LF. (Unless, of course, the BEFc was somehow already flipped in the RB.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
gregorit wrote:
Speaking to the situation cited by the OP, after BEF is flipped, Kristian's statement "flipping BR1 or BR2 leaves you with 2 unfulfilled losses" is incorrect. BEF and BR1 or BR2 flipping is 6LF leaving ONE unfulfilled loss.

You are perfectly correct. I was trying to make their example make sense; it turns out it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. There is no need to eliminate the BEF as you point out.

gregorit wrote:
In other words, the flipped BEF would NOT have to take the next 3LF. (Unless, of course, the BEFc was somehow already flipped in the RB.)

That would be a very weird situation indeed! It would require the BEFc to SR onto the map, take a step loss and then SR back out to the reserves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John David Galt
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've SRed the BEF corps onto the map before. The only penalty for doing so is that when the BEF army dies it is perm elim. Which is true anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jdgalt wrote:
I've SRed the BEF corps onto the map before. The only penalty for doing so is that when the BEF army dies it is perm elim. Which is true anyway.

Oh, that's not the weird part - I've done so too on many occasions. It's the SR'ing it off map again that's weird

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.