Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi TCS experts out there,

I am currently looking into TheGamers/MMP Tactical Combat Series System.
Did not buy any of the titles of this system before.
I want to get a better feeling for it now.
Watched already the youtube tutorials from Lee Forester.
I am not afraid of the LOS rules, I think I could manage those.
(will likely play solitaire)

Which of the following TCS releases would you recommend as introduction to TCS, and why?

- Canadian Crucible: Brigade Fortress at Norrey
- GD' 40
- GD' 41
- GD' 42
- Black Wednesday

Appreciate your suggestions

thanks
regards

PS I am leaning towards Black Wednesday and downloading the latest rules 4.01 ... but I am undecided

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Forester
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, whichever situation you like best is probably the best ;-)

CC is good, the first scenario is actually a nice into.
GD '42 is big, but the first few scenarios are very good workouts.
GD '40 and '41 aren't the ones I'd go to first
BW too is pretty big, massive line of infantry vs. entrenched Soviets, not a standard situation.

So I'd say CC or GD '42 as the best place to start. But of course they are all great ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your suggestion.

You mean entrenched Spaniards I guess

I would like the challenging idea in BW to design an OP sheet for some Tigers to act as emergency reserve to plug holes in the defence line of the Spanish Blue ...

leeforester wrote:
Well, whichever situation you like best is probably the best ;-)

CC is good, the first scenario is actually a nice into.
GD '42 is big, but the first few scenarios are very good workouts.
GD '40 and '41 aren't the ones I'd go to first
BW too is pretty big, massive line of infantry vs. entrenched Soviets, not a standard situation.

So I'd say CC or GD '42 as the best place to start. But of course they are all great ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen J
Australia
Elizabeth Bay
New South Wales
flag msg tools
RAWRRRRRRRR
badge
RAWRRRRRRRR
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Bloody Ridge. It was my first TCS game and I had no issues picking the rules up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for your recommendation, but I ruled it out already as a first one for me, because I like to also get the flavour of the involvement of armor tactics in TCS cosims, which would not be the case with Bloody Ridge

allensaurusrex wrote:
Get Bloody Ridge. It was my first TCS game and I had no issues picking the rules up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have CC and Black Wednesday.

CC is one map. There are a range of scenarios, some of which are armour-heavy and some infantry-heavy.

Black Wednesday is a fascinating simulation to play, and works well solitaire, but it just takes FOREVER as there are so many units.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Abraxx wrote:

- Canadian Crucible: Brigade Fortress at Norrey
- GD' 40
- GD' 41
- GD' 42
- Black Wednesday

They are all very different in style.

In size, BW is huge, GD'42 is next in line. So from that perspective I'd recommend GD'40.

In rules, GD'42 and CC were done with the 4.0 rules, so there is no need to retrofit scenarios etc from 3.1 games.

In play, GD'40 is probably the smallest and fastest of these. CC is compact but is a massive slugfest with enormous amounts of artillery. BW is phenomenal but is extremely large.

Someone mentioned Bloody Ridge. Yes, it's small but it offers very few options. I used it as an intro and it took 8 years to get that guy to try another TCS (after which he was hooked, we have kept playing and bought several more).

On balance, I'd probably suggest GD'40 (for size) or GD'42 which is big but not hugely dense and has one-map scenarios that cover interesting assaults.

However, you need to be aware that to fully enjoy the command system, the longer the scenario, the better. This is what for, suggests smaller games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi M
really appreciate your thoughts, well laid out,
thank you! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your input Mike!
Tough choices
Oh well
I think I know where this is going for me
Will post my decision soon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, so for those who are interested, here my decision
I ordered
taaataaaa

GD '42
because of the mix of scenarios, forces and theater.
More up to date rules/counters
And I can gradually increase the size of battle/scenario if I want/like it

PLUS

Black Wednesday
It is so special in its design, rarely found elsewhere and I found it at fair/reasonable price.
I just could not withstand; the challenge of an OP sheet for a "fire fighter" Tiger platoon, like they were actually very often used, but faced the overwhelming reality, I even do not mind if the defence of the Blue is a lost case, I prefer realism over unrealistic balancing. If in a tough situation I manage well with the given resources as best as I could, I am happy

Depending on the first impression of those 2, I might jump to
Canadian Crucible
too
especially because of the Wespe Artillery, an OP sheet tactic for an assigned Artillery support and the counters look gorgeous

Considering how far the TCS system developed over the years I am not sure if I will later jump on to older releases GD '40 etc
Maybe rather wait for a reprint in a revised edition.

thanks for all(!) your suggestions, even outside my list, it help in my decision/focusing process

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.