Subject: What does a colouring book count as? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If a company were to release a colouring book that showed off some of the artwork used in their game but included no rules, counters, boards, etc., what sort of item would that be?

Would it be okay for them to start a thread in the News forum for the game telling people it was available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an activity, not a game, and won't have a listing on BGG.

As for your question, sorry I can't answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:
If a company were to release a colouring book that showed off some of the artwork used in their game but included no rules, counters, boards, etc., what sort of item would that be?

Seems like it's obviously not a game, but outside the scope of BGG.

Quote:
Would it be okay for them to start a thread in the News forum for the game telling people it was available?

I can't see why not. News forums announce all kinds of things which are not new games but somehow relate to the game: tournaments, clubs, convention appearances, other promotional stuff, news about prominent players, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you wanted it to have an entry in the database, so that you have a clickable reference to a description page with images etc, then presumably it could be added as an Accessory (and appear in the Linked Items section of the game's page).

I don't know how one goes about adding such things, but the Elysium: Playmat is an example of one that I found by looking for Linked Items from an arbitrarily selected game (and Board Game Accessory was in the list of options for me to insert the Geek Link into this post).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
churchmouse wrote:
If you wanted it to have an entry in the database, so that you have a clickable reference to a description page with images etc, then presumably it could be added as an Accessory (and appear in the Linked Items section of the game's page).

But a coloring book of the game's art does not seem like an Accessory (i.e. you don't use it as a game component (like a playmat) while playing the game).

(Cf. the description of Accessory in BGG Guide to Game Submissions.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We got a wonderful book in with Super Dungeon Explore: Forgotten King and the kids thought it was awesome ( a good tool to get them playing the game too!).
I would personally class it as a Promo item, take it or leave it and the game ain't broke if you do not have it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
churchmouse wrote:

But a coloring book of the game's art does not seem like an Accessory (i.e. you don't use it as a game component (like a playmat) while playing the game).

(Cf. the description of Accessory in BGG Guide to Game Submissions.)

Ahh - I presumed wrongly then.

Every day is an education, as they say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just bundle two of them together and throw in a piece of paper that says "First player to completely color in the lines, wins" and you've got a game that can be added to the database.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Dodger
United States
River Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about this one?

Adventures in the Dungeon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RVS70 wrote:
What about this one?

Adventures in the Dungeon

That one technically IS a game - it has rules on how to "win" on the pages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.