$5.00
$20.00
$30.00
$15.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
61 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Sleeving it up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arne Gildenast
Germany
flag msg tools
Hey guys!

As a longtime Lotr LCG Player I sleeved all my cards with the KMC Perfect Size Sleeves. They fit exactly and I was ok with that. However, after a lot of plays, the sleeves started to feel worn (out?). Now, with AH LCG in front of us, which sleeves are you going to use and why? Maybe, I can get some inspiration

Greetings,
Arne
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brooks
United Kingdom
South Woodham Ferrers
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have sleeved my LOTR with Ultra Pro Deck Protectors Matte and they are as good today as when I first sleeved them
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne Gildenast
Germany
flag msg tools
There seems to be some double sided cards in AH LCG (Locations). Do you think the hologram Logo on the Ultra Pros is a problem?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brooks
United Kingdom
South Woodham Ferrers
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmb
I use them on the double sided LOTR cards and it's never covered any text

They are only £2 a pack so it may be worth you buying a pack to try on your LOTR cards. It's not too much to spend if they don't work out
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DerToifel wrote:
There seems to be some double sided cards in AH LCG (Locations). Do you think the hologram Logo on the Ultra Pros is a problem?


Probably not, but it IS damn annoying.

I think the location cards would not need sleeving, if I tihnk about LOTR - the most you will be shuffling the player decks and the other decks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Gonna use KMC Perfect Size again as for anything magic-format.
Just can't tolerate the border width and general floppiness of anything else.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always use the Fantasy Flight Silver Sleeves for my better games.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone please tell me why (the hell) Ultra Pro still sticks to their (stupid) holograms? I have not seen anyone who likes those things on their sleeves. I mean, they gotta loose customers that way, aren't they? I personally can't buy them and therefore have one brand fewer to choose from, which is a shame, since they are said to have good quality.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DerToifel wrote:
(...)which sleeves are you going to use and why? (...)

Greetings,
Arne


penny sleeves. cheap and fit fine.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
N0mE wrote:
I always use the Fantasy Flight Silver Sleeves for my better games.

Me too, but I have to admit that I'm curious about KMCs after hearing a lot of praise (contrary to the OP).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Hemming
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
Will be Dragon Shields Clear Sleeves for me.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just going to buy a new core set every time I play through the game. That way Fantasy Flight sees more sales and we get a longer life on this game.

I have a bunch of the Arkham Horror sleeves that I may use, but if I don't have enough, I'll go Ultra Pros.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zakoholic wrote:
N0mE wrote:
I always use the Fantasy Flight Silver Sleeves for my better games.

Me too, but I have to admit that I'm curious about KMCs after hearing a lot of praise (contrary to the OP).


The KMC perfect size sleeves are my one and only choice for full size cards. I always buy these in 3000pcs boxes (30x 100 sleeves) for best price every few months.

These just feel good and leave no empty space. It just fits perfectly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Zakoholic wrote:
Me too, but I have to admit that I'm curious about KMCs after hearing a lot of praise (contrary to the OP).




Basically like laminated. Generally fits into unsleeved storage (like Ultra Pro plastic boxes).

Being so flush at the top may be a point of criticism, but you use these for handling and feel, not for "protection", protection is a red herring anyway.
They're also rather thin (being intended to go under regular sleeves) so may suffer some wear, yes. Replace as needed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
Weltenreiter wrote:
.

Being so flush at the top may be a point of criticism, but you use these for handling and feel, not for "protection", protection is a red herring anyway.
They're also rather thin (being intended to go under regular sleeves) so may suffer some wear, yes. Replace as needed.


What do you mean protection is a red herring?

I've never sleeved any of my games and I'm completely happy with the feel and handling of naked cards.

So while I've sometimes wondered about sleeves with respect to protecting the cards, if the protection is a red herring why are they marketed as such and what is the point?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spotH3D wrote:
...I'm completely happy with the feel and handling of naked cards.

...


That's the reason I very rarely use sleeves: you go from the feel of the cards with rounded corners to a super-plasticy feel with sharp, pokey, square corners. Ruins the tactile experience IMO.

However, sleevers feel the advantages of protection outweigh that negative.

I don't think he is saying it feels better than unsleeved cards but better than other sleeves.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Hemming
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
For me it actually feels better with sleeves wrapped around (NOT with penny sleeves) and I would really hate the cards getting white edges after a few plays. Big Minus will always be the high costs for which you could easily buy a new game. If you are fine with plain cards don't even think of trying it with sleeves but once you are used to it there is no way back devil
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
suxx wrote:
For me it actually feels better with sleeves wrapped around (NOT with penny sleeves) ...


Sharp corners do not feel better than rounded corners. They unpleasantly poke you when you grab them wrong.

If there were sleeves with rounded corners, then the difference between the unsleeved would be minor but getting poked is so unpleasant, I would rather have wear on cards than be subjected to that every time I play.

The only time I sleeve cards is when there are only a few that get shuffled over and over during a game (e.g., Love Letter) or a game that would be difficult or prohibitively expensive to replace (e.g., Forbidden Stars).

Just as a wouldn't want to play a game that smelled bad or looked ugly, I don't want my games to feel unpleasant either.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Hemming
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
EvanMinn wrote:
suxx wrote:
For me it actually feels better with sleeves wrapped around (NOT with penny sleeves) ...


Sharp corners do not feel better than rounded corners. They unpleasantly poke you when you grab them wrong.

If there were sleeves with rounded corners, then the difference between the unsleeved would be minor but getting poked is so unpleasant, I would rather have wear on cards than be subjected to that every time I play.

The only time I sleeve cards is when there are only a few that get shuffled over and over during a game (e.g., Love Letter) or a game that would be difficult or prohibitively expensive to replace (e.g., Forbidden Stars).

Just as a wouldn't want to play a game that smelled bad or looked ugly, I don't want my games to feel unpleasant either.


Really can't remember the last time i got poked but I do think it's all about habits in the end.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayday premium sleevs for me now. Less than $2 pack for 50 most of the time with a coupon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Jones
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've sleeved all my LOTR cards with Ultra Pro Clear Regular but for this game I'm switching to Ultra Pro Clear Matte. I much prefer the lack of glare the matte sleeves offer, but by the time I discovered them I'd sleeved too many of my LOTR collection in the regular kind to switch.

I can't abide the Fantasy Flight versions, with their hideous flippy-flappy tops. To me, it's the sleeving equivalent of fingernails on a blackboard or socks worn with sandals. Hrrghlll!

Some people dislike the holograms on the Ultra Pro sleeves, but I kind of like them. In fact, I ordered twelve packs last week, purely to counteract my disappointment that FF hadn't released another news article.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultra Pro. I have 100 left in my stash, need to order some more. I'm pretty OCD about stuff (cards must be straight when placed ie. viticulture/codenames etc, facing the right direction etc) but surprisingly, the hologram on UP's does not bother me. I use them on my Ashes cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Been really loving MayDay Premiums. Yeah I'm pretty done with Ultra Pro because of the hologram. They're great sleeves but I just don't have time to figure out if they won't obstruct the artwork of each card type.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
coyotemoon722 wrote:
Been really loving MayDay Premiums. Yeah I'm pretty done with Ultra Pro because of the hologram. They're great sleeves but I just don't have time to figure out if they won't obstruct the artwork of each card type.


Their customer service is amazing too.. Sure one out of 10 packs will be miscut but they will take care of you
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to swear by KMC but I know what you mean about the sleeves not holding up. They last a long time but not forever.

Thinking of swapping to FFG's standard size sleeves (purples I think?) when I run out of these. Probably won't stack as well though...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.